daniel_v

You're about to 1999

I agree. Aha. 80s vibes for sure. I love it!

So, on the 1980's note, I think I just had a revelation with regard to the central theme of this reissue. Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere and I've unconsciously appropriated it -- but perhaps this reimagining has been titled "I Miss New Wave" not only because that song has been reimagined, but because this is a conscious attempt to bring New Wave back to an extent. The full version of Suburbia and the clip we have heard of the title song are dripping with neon and hair spray ....

Just a thought.

Edited by andydanger85

previews sound pretty good.  I wasn't a fan of the snippet I heard of "New Wave" on Matt's site, but I loved the snippet here.  I enjoyed Load Me Up and Born to Kill quite a bit.  Suburbia is definitely interesting, it might be hard for me to fully get on board because of the high esteem I hold the original and it's haunting reverberation in.  Didn't overly care for the snippet of Let's Get It On.  

This EP could be pretty intriguing.  Matt's voice sounds great on these new snippets! 

Is Dave supposed to be credit as Lyricist on this?  The japan site has Dave as lyricist on all the songs.

Nooooo, I'm 100% sure Dave didn't write any lyric. He participated (more or less apparently) to writing the music. So it's either a mistake, Matt giving him some credit for legal reasons or there are some things we're not aware of.

I had mentioned this in a previous thread (maybe this one)  but in towns where he is doing 2-3 shows it would be unique if he did some of the reworked versions live.   For nostalgia I really want to hear the original versions though and I am sure many diehard (and casual) fans do as well.  Either way this tour is going to be glorious

That wouldn't make any sense. He wouldn't put together these new ones, then not play them.

Pretty sure it's gonna be the new ones played. I mean it's a Beautiful Midnight *revisited* tour, so....

Yeah I agree with this. It just wouldn't make sense to record new versions and then not play them.

Yeah I agree with this. It just wouldn't make sense to record new versions and then not play them.

But on the flip side of this  imagine being a casual listener coming to hear load me up and then hearing the new version and being completely lost.  I took the term "Beautiful Midnight revisited" to mean he is revisiting songs that haven't been played in 15 or so years.  I believe the last performance of Jenni's song was from Buffalo in March of 2001. 

But on the flip side of this  imagine being a casual listener coming to hear load me up and then hearing the new version and being completely lost.  I took the term "Beautiful Midnight revisited" to mean he is revisiting songs that haven't been played in 15 or so years.  I believe the last performance of Jenni's song was from Buffalo in March of 2001. 

I mean he will be revisiting in that traditional sense for all the tracks that did not get re-imagined. But I just really think it doesn't make sense to create and record these new tracks and not play them. Especially with Stu and Blake, who also worked on the tracks being there too. They already know them.

I don't think it would really make a lot of sense to be playing both versions in one night either? So like unless the whole City-with-multiple-show-different-versions-different-nights things happens, I think it is safe to say for those 5 tracks we're hearing the new ones. Which personally, I'm really excited to hear live.

(though I suppose it's possible he goes the route of some nights doing a new one for the song, other nights doing the old. But that just seems really unlikely, and more songs to have practiced and rehearsed with the whole band...so I really really don't think it will)

Well its hard to tell what Matt might do. Dont forget he once made In A Place Of Lesser Men the first single off LOES and then never played it once on the tour.

He said Beautiful Midnight would be played front to back in sequence. To me that means the album as it was released in 1999 will be played. The new versions are a promo. Something to sell at the shows something new to tour behind.

Because im going to multiple shows it wouldn't have an issue if new takes were rotated with old ones. But if im perfectly honest id be a little upset if I were just going to one show. Not because the new versions might not be great. I haven't heard them yet and maybe they are better like Matt has said about Born to Kill. But in just two months its unlikely these versions will resonate or bring the same emotional punch that yhe versions from 17 years ago do. Those songs have had a true impact on my life and been such a part of me they are like a soundtrack to my memories. And some may say well you have the album. Listen to it. Haha which is true. But it was always a dream of mine to hear these songs live. I never thought id hear them all at once. I thought after attending 100 shows id piece by piece hear them until id heard the whole album live. This way is far superior. Because those songs beg to be played in order.

There is one change id love to hear though and thats the third verse in Suburbia. Always loved that extra bit. But the live recordings are lacking in clarity

I think playing the new versions in the midst of BM in its entirety would disrupt the flow a bit.  All of us on here probably could handle it either way, but I have been talking to friends who haven't talked BM in a long time and are most likely going to come out for this, and I can tell from them, they are expecting the '99 BM.  These new reworks could benefit future tours obviously.  I'm up for whatever though so it's all good.

I think playing the new versions in the midst of BM in its entirety would disrupt the flow a bit.  All of us on here probably could handle it either way, but I have been talking to friends who haven't talked BM in a long time and are most likely going to come out for this, and I can tell from them, they are expecting the '99 BM.  These new reworks could benefit future tours obviously.  I'm up for whatever though so it's all good.

I can kind of see both sides of the argument. I think that it's a whole record show, and that people coming out to see Beautiful Midnight, should get Beautiful Midnight. However, it is does say "revisited" in the name and Matt is well known for adapting his work. Another thing that strikes me is that, as much as these new song snippets sound fantastic, and I would love to see them live, perhaps there is a more utilitarian reason for them ...Matt has said on here before and many of us have noticed changes in his voice over the last 5-6 years. No criticism there, he is getting older and male singers do tend to lose the top end of their range as they age. Maybe these new versions are as such, in part, because they re-work some of the more technically demanding singing parts and they will play these so Matt doesn't end up coughing up blood every night (like he has said he was circa '99) trying to hit the high notes? Just a thought...

I kinda want to say I remember him saying something along the lines of after BM/AoB his mom was telling him he needed to not spend so much time on the periphery of his range ...and of course I am sure many of us remember the AMA with his vocal coach from back in the day, where she related the fact that he had had to re-learn how to sing after killing himself for so long ...

Complete inference though ... I could be way off.

Well, either way, whatever goes down I am extremely excited.

I'm excited at the prospect of hearing new versions of songs I love.

I'm excited at the prospect of reliving my first Matt Good album. #8yearoldEmma

Basically I'm just excited. No criticism or preference. I'm just excited.

Not sure if I've just missed the boat and everyone already knows this, but you can buy Suburbia on the UK iTunes Store at least. And it's beautiful.

Ah cool! Thanks! Didn't even realize. It's live on iTunes Canada too.

Well, either way, whatever goes down I am extremely excited.

I'm excited at the prospect of hearing new versions of songs I love.

I'm excited at the prospect of reliving my first Matt Good album. #8yearoldEmma

Basically I'm just excited. No criticism or preference. I'm just excited.

Ah cool! Thanks! Didn't even realize. It's live on iTunes Canada too.

How do you think it stacks up against the original? I know it's too early to say, and only time will tell if it has as much lasting power, but I think it gives it a run for its money!

How do you think it stacks up against the original? I know it's too early to say, and only time will tell if it has as much lasting power, but I think it gives it a run for its money!

I like both.

I'm partial to dark, moody music ahaha. And I think a new version would have to really blow me away to take Suburbia (OG)'s place. It's one of my top 5 songs, depending on the day sometimes my favourite out of all.

But I really do enjoy the new one. Give me some time with it and we'll see my answer later. I already feel predisposed to like it, because I like the old one so much.