daniel_v

You're about to 1999

finally got home and downloaded the album. giving it a listen now. already loving I Miss New Wave. agh

omg.

agh.

Decided to use 1 code for a cd, 1 code for the digital, and gave 1 away.

I'm a minute forty into I Miss New Wave. and it's just making me more excited for the rest of it.

Just listened to the itunes preview of Suburbia.  Wow so good!  Pleasantly surprised, so different.  Has "single" potential. The re-works on Rooms were sometimes amazing (ie: Tripoli), sometimes a miss for me.  Digging that big bassy sound on Let's Get It On too.  These tunes are fun.

Well look what came in the mail today! Really excited to listen to this. The reviews sound great so far.
Yay!

Seeing that jewel case is really trippy for me.  I can remember when I was in university and I bought that CD when it came out.  When I went to class I saw a girl with the CD too, and the little comic store on campus I used to hang out at instead of doing my actual readings was spinning the whole CD too.

My first listen impressions

I Miss New Wave: Not a huge departure feel-wise, even in the lead guitar which is more or a Stu-ified version of the original part than a new part.  Sounds really good, makes sense as an updated version of the original

Suburbia: My least favourite of the bunch, which isn't surprising as the original is my favourite of the 5 songs, mostly because of the BM arrangement.  I definitely appreciate the attempt to make this one very different, but it didn't hit the mark for me.

Born To Kill: A lot like I Miss New Wave, in that the feel isn't drastically different, it just sounds like more like 2016 MG than 1999 MGB.  Still a nice vibe, cool to hear.

Let's Get It On: This is the standout for me, which I was surprised about.  It's funny because the new versions of IMNW and BTK remind me a bit of the original of this song, and I think this new version wouldn't sound out of place on the original BM.  I really like the new parts and the vocals in some bits are even an improvement over the original (re: yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah)

Load Me Up:  I was thinking this one would end up sounding like this, a more fleshed-out, slower version of the acoustic tour version.  Very tastefully played, totally different but I like this one almost as much as the original.

Overall a very interesting listen, Matt can definitely still sing 'em, and I cannot wait until the tour!

Edited by AnythingYouWant

I tried to download it before I left for work this morning but for some reason it didn't go through.  So bummed.

I'm going to order the CD tonight, and likely also the vinyl.

Glad everyone likes it so far though.

Edited by hoogie

Well look what came in the mail today! Really excited to listen to this. The reviews sound great so far.Yay!

Thx for posting the pic....I was just about to ask if anyone got the actual CD yet! Think I'm going to order a disc now too....fought with my slow-as-dirt PC for half an hour late last night to finally get the digital download. Really really like New Wave....that track and Rorschach were my 2 "hidden gems" from the original album for me, so I'm quite pleased with it :)

Just heard the whole thing. Two words: Fucking hell!

Beautiful Midnight is my favourite MG record right after LOES. I still prefer the original version of Suburbia. I Miss New Wave breathes a lot more. Born To Kill is awesome and I like what he did with the vocal mix to not scream during the "It's more than the less you say you do" part. Very clever. I was expecting something more intense though in the style of the live version of Empty's Theme Park circa 2010. 

Let's Get It On is just bloody awesome and I'm happy he kept the vocals more or less the same instead of singing it lower like on I Miss New Wave.

As for Load Me Up, well, it was coming for years wasn't it? He did it acoustically live so many times I'm not surprised at the reworked version. It's really really good.

All in all, this EP shows that, arragements are certainly an important part of a song on record but the heart of a song is what counts. You can do them differently, play around with instruments, change the pace and so on. If it's a good song, it's going to remain a good song.

Oh and I forgot to say that I'm really glad that this EP uses bore of Stu's live style. It's like Matt reworked the songs with them like he would have on a tour (Empty's Theme Park, Harridan, etc.). Those musicians are amazing and this EP is colored with their style. 

Edited by Tips

Wow. Suburbia, Born to Kill and Let's Get It On are amazing. The nods to the originals while adding in so much more, it really is quite something. It took me a minute to wrap my head around what is happening in Suburbia but I just love it. I hadn't listened to any previews or anything until today so it was all a wonderful surprise.

I preordered the Vinyl last week and I ordered the CD today, as well as the classic mg black toque. Some of the merch is on sale right now in the online store if anyone is looking, there are some deals to be found.

Not sure if this has been answered, but does anyone know about an iTunes release for the US?

I'm not seeing it for purchase in the store this morning.... any help would be appreciated!

I can't find it in US iTunes either but it is on Spotify at the moment.

I love the new versions on this EP, it's really interesting to get a new spin on such classic material from the original artist. To me these versions have a more mature sound with less angst. Perhaps a window on how Matt has changed/grown as an artist.

I love the original album and I love these new versions, thanks for doing this Matt!

Not sure if this has been answered, but does anyone know about an iTunes release for the US?

I'm not seeing it for purchase in the store this morning.... any help would be appreciated!

So it never showed up in the iTunes Store but it did show up on Apple Music (their subscription service) this morning. I would have expected it to be the opposite.

I absolutely love I miss new wave and Born to Kill.  I think that Lets Get it On is going to be one of those I become addicted with as well.  It really says something special that Matt can go in and with a new band re-create songs we love and in some cases possibly even better them with time and tweaking. 

I love the EP. It has a fresh sound, a big departure from the original album.

Load Me Up sure slowed down and sounds very country. It almost feels like I could ride into the sunset on a horse while listening to that song.

I got the CD yesterday evening. I have a couple of additionnal comments: 

• I can't believe Matt had to credit Dave on all songs and Dave, Rich and Ian on Load Me Up. The songs are completely different! The melody was written by Matt so, given the reworking, no credit should have been given. It's not really important as fans but that kind of crap ticks me off. 

• I don't know what Warne does differently now than in 1999 but these versions just breathe. The sound is so much more clearer and crisper. It's like we're with the musicians in the room or almost. Maybe it's a analog vs digital thing or just the mixing that's made differently (I'm not too studio saavy) but I love the sound of this. 

• I hate living in Quebec when it comes to Matt Good... I had to drive 1h to get it (I know I could have bought it online but I wanted the thing yesterday... yeah I'm a kid :P). 

• Warne's keyboards are awesome. The whole Let's Get It On is amazing. I definitely hope he brings a keyboard player on tour! Imagine if it was Warne ha ha!

I think I had more but I can't remember them this morning. I'll just post again later :P

Gave it a second run through last night and I agree with everyones comments about the spaciousness of the recording and just the overall sound quality being amazing.  

Suburbia is such an infectious sound to it.  I want to dance to it, but then it seems wrong dancing to Suburbia haha.  Let's Get it On and Born to Kill are still my favourites after a second listen, although I appreciated I Miss New Wave more the second time around.