Manchalivin

Random MG Thread

Some randomness for the random MG thread. Thought this was interesting, a short article about Dave leaving MGB. Says Ryan from Limblifter was to fill in for a show in Saskatoon in Sept 01. I'm guessing that show never happened? Good little read from that time period anyway.

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2001/08/27/dave-genn-quits-matthew-good-band/

Edited by Stwlegend

Man, this would have been INSANE to go to. Best way to explain to friends how big MGB used to be. "Um, played with Foo Fighters & Green Day, opened for Aerosmith & The Who.. kind of a biiiig deal"EdgeFestinCalgaryJuly9th1998ad.jpg

Was at this show in Saskatoon. That's when I realized MGB was the real deal.

Some randomness for the random MG thread. Thought this was interesting, a short article about Dave leaving MGB. Says Ryan from Limblifter was to fill in for a show in Saskatoon in Sept 01. I'm guessing that show never happened? Good little read from that time period anyway.http://www.chartattack.com/news/2001/08/27/dave-genn-quits-matthew-good-band/

Show was canceled because 9/11 just happened. I had tickets to it and were refunded. Concert was to be called "Screamfest" and had a bunch of bands a la Edgest and OLP's Summersault tour of that era.

Show was canceled because 9/11 just happened. I had tickets to it and were refunded. Concert was to be called "Screamfest" and had a bunch of bands a la Edgest and OLP's Summersault tour of that era.

Thanks, did not make that connection.  That would have been an interesting show. 

I don't think I realized Dave left before Audio of Being came out. What an odd thing to not remember.

I believe he left and came back before the official disbanding?  I'm sure someone can correct me if not but I think that's what happened. 

I know the 'what ifs' are nothing more than that, but interesting to think if that show went down with Ryan if it would have been just what it was meant to be as a fill-in, or led to something else MGB related.

I believe he left and came back before the official disbanding?  I'm sure someone can correct me if not but I think that's what happened. 

I know the 'what ifs' are nothing more than that, but interesting to think if that show went down with Ryan if it would have been just what it was meant to be as a fill-in, or led to something else MGB related.

If my memory serves me correctly it was announced that he left, then came back, then a couple days later left for good and the band was done. I know when I had tickets for that show I was curious to see if they'd be playing any new stuff from the upcoming AOB album.

If my memory serves me correctly it was announced that he left, then came back, then a couple days later left for good and the band was done. I know when I had tickets for that show I was curious to see if they'd be playing any new stuff from the upcoming AOB album.

Dave left at the end of August 2001, came back 4 days later. Then Dave and Ian left in November 2001. 

Of course, that's what happened publicly. There's probably loads that happened behind the scenes that we don't know about (rightfully so of course).

Dave left at the end of August 2001, came back 4 days later. Then Dave and Ian left in November 2001. 

Of course, that's what happened publicly. There's probably loads that happened behind the scenes that we don't know about (rightfully so of course).

Agreed 100% :)

Guest Idioteque

I've been reading old manifestos & stumbled upon this quote. I always wondered how Todd Kerns sang on Underdogs & the story behind it. 

To answer another commonly asked question, yes we are aquatinted with the lads from AOE. We got Todd to sing back-up vocals on those songs because I couldn't sing that high and Todd's the only person we know that can. Listen real close, you'll hear him.

Guest Idioteque

Question, has anyone heard "Is Everyone In"?

When we recorded the demos for Beautiful Midnight there were several tracks that got the axe during pre-production. One of them was Flashdance II, which was released on the internet earlier this year. The other two tracks were Is Everyone In and My Life As A Circus Clown. Following my throat surgery in January I went to England on holiday for a month and, along with Warne, spent some time remixing the songs in hopes of releasing an EP similar to Lo-Fi B-Sides. I also added a track entitled The Man From Harold Wood which was recorded during the mixing session and attached to the end of Flashdance II due to my disdain for the existing conclusion of that song. We also mastered the disk so that it would appear as one track on CD players. I did this to force people to listen to it as the band intended it to be listened to. I am unable to do it with our usual records, so I though I'd be a prick this one time and have some fun. You can always fast forward through it if it starts pissing you off.

Edited by Idioteque

Random.….Was reading about and listening to a few Hospital Music era shows, did Matt do any electric shows at all during that time period?  Basically 2006-2007 was all acoustic, he didn't have a backing band at any point?  The Massey Hall official live show was 2008 so back to full band I think by that year. 

From what I recall yes he was strictly acoustic for those two years.  I had been a fan of his since 1998, but was too young to go to shows, then he played a a couple times at 19+ venues in my area for a couple years and so I still couldn't go, after high school I briefly lost track of him, this was during the 2005-2007 period.  I missed the release of Hospital Music, but stumbled across it in a store about 6 months later and bought it, it rekindled my love of his music and I looked into seeing if he was touring at that time.  I had just missed his show in Victoria in fall 2007, so I kept up with his touring news pretty vigorously after that.  he did an acoustic tour of the states in the spring of 2008 and then did a full band electric tour, which was his first since 2005, in May/June of 2008.  That was the tour Massey was recorded, I saw his Victoria and Nanaimo show.  The Victoria show was at the Curling Club and he opened with Giant and literally five seconds in two guys got in a real ugly fist fight.  I remember thinking "man Matt Good crowds are rowdy" But I've never seen that kind of overt violence at another of his shows since.  I went to the next show and tour closer in Nanaimo, which was his 37th birthday, the crowd sang him happy birthday, he told us to keep our day jobs.  I remember during the opener, the crew were running across the stage hazing the band, they were either in underwear or nude, but with paper or other object covering them,  I can't remember, but it was quite hilarious.  

When he came back after that hiatus, his band was completely different than it had been before.  This was Stu and Blake's first tour.  Milos Angelov was on bass and he played bass with Matt for several years after up through the Arrows Tour.  There was also a keyboard player on this tour, named Peter Nunn who I think only played with Matt on this tour.  

But ya, as far as I remember there weren't any electric shows in 2006 and 2007.  Actually, it's funny because at the time I remember hearing fans who were saying "I'm so glad he's back to doing band shows." But for me having just missed the two years of acoustic shows for me it felt the other way, by 2012 I had seen about 20 full band shows and I was really hoping to get to experience an acoustic show.  My first one ended up being the secret show he did in Vancouver that year, and it's still my favourite concert of his I've ever seen! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sly Botts said:

I honestly feel that Dave and Matt (and the band) were Lightning in a bottle to a degree. The talent there all combined together was just magic, that we will never see again.

You know, one of the things that I've come to realize I appreciate about Matt's career over the decades is how many different amazing musicians he has worked with. Even in his Pre-MGB days he only worked with the best of the best it seems. I mean, if you listen to the work that Steve, Judy, Eran, and Ariel did with him on 15 Hours, the instrumentation from all of them is/was just out of this world. Even Matt once commented that he had to admit they were all just amazing players. And when you combined their talent with Matt's frantic and kinetic rhythm guitar playing, especially in the hybrid genre of rock/folk that they were doing, it was just so unique and enjoyable to listen to

When he started with Dave, Ian, and Geoff, the same thing applied, imo. Ian's playing in LOTGA and AOB was just out of this world, Dave's keyboard and guitar playing added so much depth to the songs (see Native Son and Giant for just a few of many examples), and Geoff's bass riffs that he came up with...by God, that man was a genius. The fact that he once commented that the bass lines simply wrote themselves just went to show how humble and talented a musician he was because bass lines that good most certainly do not just write themselves, lol (especially when the way they're played by the musician playing them makes a big difference). And again, when you combined all that talent with how prolific and amazing a guitarist/singer/writer Matt was/is, and it really was like lightening in a bottle for every album, like you said Mike. Even when Rich took over after Geoff left, despite them having different styles, he fronted some bloody amazing songs and his bass work on AOB still contains some of my favorite bass lines ever (especially the climax on Truffle Pigs). 

That said, even though I still absolutely miss the old line up, one can't deny how talented the players he's brought in since the band broke up are too.

For example, as far as drummers go I love both people he's worked with since Ian. Pat had the energy of an atomic bomb behind the kit. He honestly was always a pleasure to watch/listen to. Same goes for Blake as I've said in other threads. It really adds to a concert when you know the musicians playing are not only into the music they're playing, but also really fucking good at it too, and Blake really embodies that and there's no question he knows how to bring songs to another level when playing live.

Same thing goes for the guitarists that have worked for him since Dave too. While Christian was hit and miss for me since he didn't always manage to quite hit the right spots, imo, most of the time he did and when he did he helped make some great climaxes for different songs. It seemed like during the 2002-2005 period Matt was looking to really revamp his songs live and Christian, along with the other members, really seemed to help facilitate that. The work he did in the extended outros (on songs like Giant and Near Fantastica), to me, are a highlight of Matt's live career.  As far as Jimmy goes I have nothing bad to say about him at all. In fact I can't ever recall him sounding off or missing anything. He had a great amount of energy on the stage too, seemed like the kind of personality one would want on the road with you,  and was unquestionably a really skilled musician. And then there's Stu. Stu just kicks ass. Period. I have never once seen that man play an off note, he is versatile as all Hell when it comes to the different styles he can play (country, rock, folk, etc), and Matt just generally seems to like the guy which is obviously a good thing when it comes to any kind of a working relationship. 

I think the interesting thing about the guitarists Matt has had over the years is that I like them each better or less depending on what songs they were filling in for. For example, I think Jimmy added the most to Everything is Automatic, Dave really played my favorite style of lead on Giant (it had a very dream like quality to it), Christian was perfect for a lot of the extended  jams that Matt would do during the 2002-2005 time period, and Stu does some out of this world guitar work on A Boy and His Machine Gun, Running for Home and Non Populas.

Same thing goes for bass players, before, during, and after MGB. Ariel could maneuver his way around a bass guitar like no one I have ever heard and the amount it added to the songs he was a part of was so appreciated. I discussed why Geoff and Rich were so invaluable above. I know some people weren't a fan of Milos when he first started because he didn't move around as much on stage, but that changed over the years, and I always loved the flair and depth his work would add to the live versions of songs he did.  When it comes to MAtt's current bassist, Peter, I also can not find a single thing to fault the guy on he. He is super creative and I loved his work on the reworked E.P of Beautiful Midnight. The way he managed to come up with such incredible bass lines that filled in for the original guitar work on Suburbia and Born to Kill really floors me every time I listen to it. Great musician as well. 

And that's not to mention the keyboard/piano players that played for him before, during, and after MGB. Steve Codling during the 93-95 era, Steve Black on Fearless, Mark Olexson during the 2002-2003 era, Peter Nunn in 2008, and of course Anthony added some amazing layers during his tenure (both in the studio and on the stage). In fact, I hope he does bring back the keys one of these days. I love the depth they add to his songs. 

So, while I absolutely agree with you that Dave was/is a monumentally talented guitar (who is probably my biggest influence as a guitar player actually) and someone I'm exceptionally appreciative to have been exposed to, I'm also glad that Matt has had such a high standard when it comes to choosing what musicians that play with him because over the years we've got to see some beautiful work by a lot of different people ? 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Upvote 1

I found this article from I think 2005, based on the In A Coma comments.  What intrigued me is the title of the article and the comments from Matt about not knowing what the next album will sound like.  It seemed like the editor said he was halfway through it?  Of course Hospital Music came a few years later and I know Matt had a ton of personal things happen that led to that album. But I do wonder if the album would have turned out different if finished sooner?  Was this material he mentioned here in 2005 the same?   Anyway thought it was a good read some of you might enjoy to see Matt's mindset back then.

IMG_4316.JPG