jaydee

2018 Vinyls - April 6th

Just moved into the new house and having a chance to listen to these. 

I really wish that I didn’t have to flip sides on AOB between Tripoli and Advertising. 

Advertising alone is worth this purchase though. Blown away.

I love the balance between vocals and instrumentation on This album in particular. 

(Edit for typos because delirious from renovating and moving)

Edited by mackie1023

Obviously there is still a few albums that are waiting release/re-release in a third and probably final run.

White Light Rock and Roll Review

Vancouver

Lights of Endangered Species

Arrows of Desire

These are the studio albums that are not in print and are the most likely to still get released. Obviously  WLRRR review is the most sought after as it is now the only studio album to not see a vinyl release. Im not sure where an Arrows release stands as unlike the rest of these reissues that album wasn't recorded on the Universal label. 

I doubt the two greatest hits albums will see any release although I would love to have Rooms on vinyl. I'd also love to see Massey Hall,  but that would probably need to be a four record set and that kind of thing just might not be financially feasible as judging by the two record sets it would probably be priced over $75 making it a limited interest release in a series of records already defined as limited interest.

The fact that the first two vinyl series contained all the albums that were in high demand on vinyl worries me that the third series could easily be dropped as the remaining records are definitely not ones considered Matt's most successful from a sales point of view.  like many here I am fortunate to have Vancouver Lights and Arrows (although id buy the re-release too) so WLRRR is the only one I am really desperate for, especially since sonically it is probably the MG album most suited for the vinyl format. 

There was about 18 months between the first and second series and we're only about six months since the last release so based on that I could see a potential fourth quarter release in 2019. Although id love to be wrong and get them sooner.

Doubtful anything but WLRRR gets printed again.  Wish they did but not expecting it.

I bought 2 copies of LOES on vinyl when it came out.  Now I can't find them in my house and haven't seen them for years LOL.  I remember bringing one of them or maybe both to a concert in Ottawa at the NAC to get one of them signed during the LOES tour (but didn't bother getting it signed).  I wonder if I left one or both of them at the concert venue LOL.

That sucks because it would really sound awesome on vinyl i bet, one of my fav albums, i never got to listen to it on vinyl before i misplaced it.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, samscartboy said:

I finally broke down and bought a turntable recently. I now find myself looking for Hospital Music, any idea where I can find this for a reasonable price? It's like $120 on Amazon from a 3rd party seller...

Not sure where you are living but in Canada this is still regularly found in record stores be it chains like Sunrise or independants. Even though i own all the vinyl i do regular checks when im in stores just to see availability. Ill say all of the recent releases are all readily available in the $40 range. And i stumbled across Vancouver arrows and lights once in awhile but usually for well over $100.  

I have the complete Matthew Good collection with the exception of a few demo tapes. Anyway last week I obtained Arrows of Desire White Album, I paid $900 and I'm ok with that. It was the final piece of the puzzle. 

I was told the first 100 people who order from the Matthew Good store would receive a signed copy of the White Album. I was definitely one of the first to order I thin the invoice number was #6 or something. I received the Album along with some shirts but the Vinyl was the Black Album and came with a signed poster. I was a little bit upset but knew it was a long shot. 

I have been told this album has been auction off for charity at the rate $3500 and has a street value of $2500. I'm not sure what it is worth without the signature maybe $1500? 

Anyway, I can't wait for White Light to be released, I have been told the printing was prevented in order for the track Hopeless to be added to the release this is to prevent any mishaps like Last of the Ghetto Astronauts and the track Omissions of the Omen.

What is your take on the subject?

$3500 for charity and a good cause  sure why not?  $2500 for a vinyl record??  I wouldn't pay that to hear Jesus and the Pope give me a 30 minute personal message.   The thing with vinyl is that eventually you have a high chance of it being re-released such as with Avalanche.  Sure it's a different color but does the change of color really drive a $2400 markup?  In my opinion no. 

I can't imagine that there's a single MG release actually worth $900, much less $1500. I own that release - if I thought it was worth that kind of money, I'd stop playing it (and probably sell it).

That particular release (it's "White", but it's got a little bit of a gray streak) is rare because it was made for the VIP packages on the Arrows tour, so there aren't that many of them. Nearly all of them are signed because it was part of the VIP package for the Arrows tour. (Mine's unsigned because I got it as a "thank you" for a charity donation. It was a completely unexpected surprise - my donation wasn't large amount of money.) I don't know why it'd be notably valuable - I like that album, but it's not highly sought after.

Isn't Mikey Mackinon a user here? I saw this on Discogs - he posted a bunch of nonsense in the last couple of days about how stuff went for huge money on eBay "during the album release". Those numbers are absurd - he's lying his ass off. (And most of that information would be out of date and irrelevant to its current value.)

https://www.discogs.com/user/mikeymackinon

He's claiming $450 for the standard edition of Arrows on vinyl, but you can buy it for $25.99 on MG's website, for fuck's sake.

$300 for Massey Hall on CD? WTF.

Edited by uglyredhonda
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, adam_777 said:

Not sure where you are living but in Canada this is still regularly found in record stores be it chains like Sunrise or independants. Even though i own all the vinyl i do regular checks when im in stores just to see availability. Ill say all of the recent releases are all readily available in the $40 range. And i stumbled across Vancouver arrows and lights once in awhile but usually for well over $100.  

Unfortunately I'm in the States so visiting a physical record store is challenging....if anyone ever obtains an extra copy I would be willing to purchase/pay for shipping, etc...

Since things are a little quiet I thought I'd bump this to point out Hospital Music is currently $47.99 on amazon.ca

Pretty good price if anyone is looking for it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hospital-Music-Vinyl-Matthew-Good/dp/B018WTZP6Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=matthew+good+hospital+music&qid=1592429622&sprefix=Matthew+good+&sr=8-1

Only one I'm missing from my vinyl collection is Vancouver, if anyone has a lead on a copy.

• Upvote 1