daniel_v

1999 Much Music Performance

My apologies for the crappy lighting. It really was a cool lighting set up for the performance, and looks tons better on my TV from VHS, but after about 5 attempts of trying to change the lighting in the room I was recording this on from my cell, I just gave up and used this one. Believe it or not this was the best I could get.

On the other hand it is a pretty cool performance so there is that, lol. 

Edited by daniel_v

Are you sure this is from the MMVA? I know the girl introduces the band as being 1998 MMVA winners...but could she just be referring to them having previously won that award? Kinda of like the next season in hockey people sometimes refer to the team who won the cup last year as the Stanley Cup Champions?  I saw your post about not knowing the timeline of this show and I was thinking this looks like way too small of a venue to actually be the MMVA awards.  Compare it with the Load Me Up clip from 2000 and you'll see what I mean.  Also the fans all just standing on the stage seems odd for a major awards show.  This setup makes me think it is probably one of those like live in house performances that used to happen on Much, and also might explain why the band played two songs.  I'm just clutching at straws here, perhaps your tape proves this is actually the 1998 MMVA's and you have footage of other bands, but if this clip is all you have for the show, I don't think the girls introduction is a dead give away that this show is actually the MMVA's just that she is introducing the band as a previous MMVA winner which then could enable this show to have taken place in early 1999 which fits more with the traditional timeline of the band.  

Here is some footage from the 1998 MMVA's.  It looks like several stages are setup including a large one outdoors and a smaller one, but none of them look like the stage Matt is playing on in the video above.  Also notice the lack of any fans actually crowding around on the stage itself.  

Here is The Tea Party performing on the Much Music show Intimate and Interactive.  The stage setup seems similar to the MGB one, the crowd setup and camera angles are definitely similar and notice the fans crowded on the side of the stage just like the above MGB video.  I'm thinking that footage is most likely from a segment on this show.  

Edited by adam_777
added additional details

7 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Are you sure this is from the MMVA? I know the girl introduces the band as being 1998 MMVA winners...but could she just be referring to them having previously won that award? Kinda of like the next season in hockey people sometimes refer to the team who won the cup last year as the Stanley Cup Champions?  I saw your post about not knowing the timeline of this show and I was thinking this looks like way too small of a venue to actually be the MMVA awards.  Compare it with the Load Me Up clip from 2000 and you'll see what I mean.  Also the fans all just standing on the stage seems odd for a major awards show.  This setup makes me think it is probably one of those like live in house performances that used to happen on Much, and also might explain why the band played two songs.  I'm just clutching at straws here, perhaps your tape proves this is actually the 1998 MMVA's and you have footage of other bands, but if this clip is all you have for the show, I don't think the girls introduction is a dead give away that this show is actually the MMVA's just that she is introducing the band as a previous MMVA winner which then could enable this show to have taken place in early 1999 which fits more with the traditional timeline of the band.  

Here is some footage from the 1998 MMVA's.  It looks like several stages are setup including a large one outdoors and a smaller one, but none of them look like the stage Matt is playing on in the video above.  Also notice the lack of any fans actually crowding around on the stage itself.  

Here is The Tea Party performing on the Much Music show Intimate and Interactive.  The stage setup seems similar to the MGB one, the crowd setup and camera angles are definitely similar and notice the fans crowded on the side of the stage just like the above MGB video.  I'm thinking that footage is most likely from a segment on this show.  

Man, I miss those days from Much Music, haha. The set ups they did and the bands they had were all just incredible. Really miss the Intimate and Interactive performances. 

It's possible her intro could have just been a reference to them having won recently. Certainly can't deny the possibility. However....it just seems like a really strange way to introduce the band if it wasn't actually at the MMVA's. You're right that most of the performers from the clip you posted are on way larger stages, but most of the performers there were international bands. If you look at Big Wreck's stage it doesn't actually seem that large comparably (despite looking like a really fucking cool set up) and both them and MGB were around the same level of popularity.

Again though, as is being discussed in the other thread, given that the show was supposed to have been on September 24th, and that Geoff didn't leave officially until November 13, and given that Rich wasn't included in the Dec 1998 Chart Attack Mag interview, it doesn't really make sense for it to have been the MMVAs. That is unless Geoff stopped playing earlier than November 13 and Rich was only originally "filling in" for him until the band played a few shows with him and decided early in 1999 that Rich was their guy.

The recording I have is a large collection of interviews and a couple performances from the late 90s era that a girl named Ashley from the old Running for Home message board sent me probably 17-18 years ago. I'll watch the performance again to see if I can't find anymore clues as to what the performance actually was for. I never really paid much attention because up until the last 24 hours I just always assumed it was the MMVAs, lol. 

Btw Adam , I was going to say, for the sake of quality, if you wanted to get a hold of the VHS tape I have and do some not amateur conversions- which is all I'm capable of- of the material I have, I'd be willing to send the tape to you if you had any interest. Though that's only on the condition that it wouldn't interfere with you converting the material you're already in the process of getting since I think we can all agree the the stuff you're already getting is a lot more rare and probably interesting.

Edit- never mind. MGBFan101 helped prove it's not from the 1998 MMVAs. There is a clip of the band at that awards show (it's from the MMM Bio) where the band is filmed telling Bill Morrison he won best director and Geoff is with them, not Rich. Hence, this performance obviously and definitely wasn't from that event. 

Thanks for the clarification people. 

Edited by daniel_v

I remember Ashley!!  She had sent me a vhs with a bunch of mgb stuff, videos, going to meet a rock star, recording of AOB, Snowjob, etc, and a few Chart attacks with MGB on the cover.   Wonder what happened to her

1 minute ago, foats said:

I remember Ashley!!  She had sent me a vhs with a bunch of mgb stuff, videos, going to meet a rock star, recording of AOB, Snowjob, etc, and a few Chart attacks with MGB on the cover.   Wonder what happened to her

I was thinking about that the other day. She seemed like a really cool person. I don't know if she even asked for money for the tapes. Had a lot of conversations with her back in the day and she was somehow always a very knowledgeable person about the band. I remember her last name but won't post it on here for obvious privacy reasons. Wonder if she posts here under a different name? I don't think she ever used her real one on the RFH message boards.

By all means if you want to send me along that VHS tape I'd gladly transfer it to digital and get it hosted somewhere online.  So far I have still not received any of the other material so definitely would not hold me up in anyway.  PM me and we'll work that out if you like, thanks for the offer! 

Ya I just had a hunch this wasn't the 1998 VMA's glad someone was able to prove it.  So I'm not sure where this came from then, obviously early in 1999, but if I'm right with my thoughts this could be a Intimate and interactive show, then this may have originally had more too it.  Usually those shows consisted of a few songs an interview segment and then another song or two and usually ran about 45 minutes.  The amount of stuff that is just rotting in vaults from the MGB/early solo days is incredible.  I can't believe that Matt seems to have little interest in that part of his career.  Someday his kids will probably have a great interest in it and by then so much could be lost.  

Thanks daniel_v, can never get enough of old MGB stuff. Man vhs tapes don’t hold up in quality like we thought they would back then huh, ha. Still great to watch and thanks for taking the time, never seen that. 

Yeah Adam, lots of bands seem to be embracing the past and I understand not wanting to be a nostalgia act, but a nod to the past wouldn’t hurt, I agree. I know you said cost versus reward but maybe some downloads from the archive for a fixed price that don’t take a lot of work. Like the chili peppers did awhile back. Even that had a big petition to get those out though so I know it’s probably not possible. But when I see stuff like Daniel posts it gets you thinking every time 

On June 20, 2018 at 4:19 PM, daniel_v said:

I was thinking about that the other day. She seemed like a really cool person. I don't know if she even asked for money for the tapes. Had a lot of conversations with her back in the day and she was somehow always a very knowledgeable person about the band. I remember her last name but won't post it on here for obvious privacy reasons. Wonder if she posts here under a different name? I don't think she ever used her real one on the RFH message boards.

I also remember her from way back when. Haha. Wow, you guys just took me back...

On 6/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, Stwlegend said:

Thanks daniel_v, can never get enough of old MGB stuff. Man vhs tapes don’t hold up in quality like we thought they would back then huh, ha. Still great to watch and thanks for taking the time, never seen that. 

Yeah Adam, lots of bands seem to be embracing the past and I understand not wanting to be a nostalgia act, but a nod to the past wouldn’t hurt, I agree. I know you said cost versus reward but maybe some downloads from the archive for a fixed price that don’t take a lot of work. Like the chili peppers did awhile back. Even that had a big petition to get those out though so I know it’s probably not possible. But when I see stuff like Daniel posts it gets you thinking every time 

I just sent the tape out to Adam today, so hopefully once he receives and converts it to a digital copy we'll have a better version on Youtube (along with a few other interviews and performances). Like I said, it actually looks a lot better on my TV when played straight from VHS. It's just that holding a cell phone in front of my TV and recording that way didn't exactly produce the best results, lol. 

And you're welcome! 

Edited by daniel_v

Daniel, 

just watching your tape and it looks like we need to update this again.  This performance actually is 1998 and may actually be Rich's first with the band.  As you know they followed with the performance of Rico and at the end of that it is stated that this event was "The Big Shiny Bash" and that Apparitions was featured on Big Shiny Tunes 3 which it's suggested would make a good Christmas gift.  BST 3 was released December 1st 1998.  The VJ says it is available now and would make a good Christmas gift, so this had to have taken place between December 1st-December 24th of 1998, which very well means this could be Rich's first performance with the band.  

10 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Daniel, 

just watching your tape and it looks like we need to update this again.  This performance actually is 1998 and may actually be Rich's first with the band.  As you know they followed with the performance of Rico and at the end of that it is stated that this event was "The Big Shiny Bash" and that Apparitions was featured on Big Shiny Tunes 3 which it's suggested would make a good Christmas gift.  BST 3 was released December 1st 1998.  The VJ says it is available now and would make a good Christmas gift, so this had to have taken place between December 1st-December 24th of 1998, which very well means this could be Rich's first performance with the band.  

Lol, Anton can you enable the edit function for me? ?

That is pretty damned cool if it was his first performance with them. Good catch, Adam. 

Edit- until Anton makes the original post available to edit again I'll just leave the new link here:

Thanks again to Adam for the digital copy. This was all his effort and knowledge put to use so that we could watch this without Matt looking like a hologram version of Tupac and Michael Jackson from South Park, lol.  

Gonna upload the Rico performance next. 

Edited by daniel_v

On 6/26/2018 at 1:05 AM, PlasticSoldier said:

i know an Ashley from forever ago as part of the communities, but not sure if it is the same one.... haha

Wasn't she that girl that was named "xxlikesitdirtyxx" or something like that?

9 hours ago, andydanger85 said:

Yes, that was her. Good memory. I couldn't remember her handle for the life of me.

Wasn't it rumoured she was dating or went on to date a member of the band? Hence the inside info?  She was kind of a snot box if I remember, but I was 20-21 back then so maybe I could be remembering it wrong.  She was really active on RFH and I think Metro as well.  She was a blonde bomber for sure.

19 hours ago, Sly Botts said:

Wasn't it rumoured she was dating or went on to date a member of the band? Hence the inside info?  She was kind of a snot box if I remember, but I was 20-21 back then so maybe I could be remembering it wrong.  She was really active on RFH and I think Metro as well.  She was a blonde bomber for sure.

I don't remember the rumours, but that does sound like par for the course with regards to the Metro. That place was the wild west, in every sense of the phrase. I don't think I ever formed an opinion either way about her, but I kinda want to say that she worked as a bartender/server/hostess at the time (I want to say at a strip club) and she had a journal where she wrote about her experiences and it was harrowing/interesting/really fun to read. I would have been 18-19, so yeah, it's been a long time. She was definitely a huge MG fan and if I remember correctly, when there would be personality clashes with Matt on the board she was one of the first to stand up to defend him.

Man, those were good days. Facebook/social media kinda ruined fan-boards and the like. I met a couple MG fans in England and got to be really good friends with them for about a year through the Metro. I'm glad we've still got The Bored :)

20 hours ago, Sly Botts said:

I believe she was Rich's girlfriend. If I'm thinking of the right girl, she was participating to his Hot Tubs and Mandolins blog: http://richrock.blogspot.com/

He mentions someone named Ashley in several posts.

2 hours ago, Crusader said:

Let's keep the personal life chat out of the thread and respect these folks privacy ?

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Sly Botts said:

I'll respect Anton's wishes and not speculate beyond this, but I just want to clarify before we get back on topic that I think the Ashley who sent me the tapes was someone else. I won't post any personal details but I used to chat with her on MSM Messenger so I remember her and the descriptions you guys are all giving don't fit her look, age, or personality.

Edited by daniel_v
  • Upvote 1

I agree Daniel, I don't think the Ashley who sent me stuff was 21 at the time.  Very thankful for the VHS she sent back in the day as it was pre youtube and the first proshot MGB I had seen.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:03 PM, Crusader said:

Let's keep the personal life chat out of the thread and respect these folks privacy ?

I'm just going to respectfully roll my eyes at this one. LOL

Since it was almost 20 years ago.

Edited by Sly Botts