MrManInvisible

Avalanche Or White Light?

I haven't heard anything off of either except Weapon and It's Been A While Since I was Your Man (and I preferred Weapon over the two) and I'm not into the whole downloading music thing. What are the general tones of the albums? Are the comparable to any of the MGB records? What do you all think? I'm gonna get one of the two.

This probably isn't a popular opinion 'round here, but I wholeheartedly say White Light. It's my second favourite album of his or MGB's, after Beautiful Midnight. It's very fresh, I love the musical rigour that went into making it, it rocks all the way through, and there isn't a disappointing song on it.

Avalanche had a more sprawling, expansive tone, like a less depressed, more politicized extension on The Audio of Being. White Light harkens back to the earlier rocking style of early MGB, but taking it a step further with the stripped down instrumentation - and never at the sake of Matthew Good's sociopolitical beliefs and messages. Indeed, I find it his most political album to date, and while I wasn't the biggest fan of those leanings on Avalanche for some reason, on White Light it just all gels. Brilliant.

why not get both and whatever other releases that you dont have

Cause I'm po. Actually I've got an amazon gift certificate (I posted earlier about trying to get At Last There Is Nothing Left To Say) so I could get them both, but then I wouldn't have money left to get the live Red Elvises cd, if I may be so bold as to throw out an endorsement to a sexually crazed russian surf rock n' roll band you probably have never heard.

I'm really tempted to get White Light just after reading through the lyrics. I think We're So Heavy is one of my favorite songs lyrically. I just hope hearing the actual song doesn't ruin it for me.

Get Beautiful Midnight.

But seriously, they're both good albums in very different ways. White Light is more rock with a bit of country. I find it doesn't flow as well as Avanlanche, but it's full of really strong songs.

I do prefer Avalnche. I can just put it on a listen straight through. It's much more produced than White Light and is quite a bit mellower. I think it's a better album as a whole.

EDIT: "We're So Heavy" is my favorite song on the album. It won't dissapoint.

Edited by pearanoid

If you want to hear Matt doing rock like he's never done before, AND a record with a lyrical content that seems to be entirely what Matt stands for, then get WLRRR. If you want to hear Matt with a hint of a message but some of the most beautiful music hes done, and if you like orchestras, get Avalanche. But I'd really recomend both.

The two are so different, they are not easy to compare. Avalanche has a very complete feel to it, very wholesome, whereas WLRRR is very stripped down and basic. If you like classic rock, I'd suggest WLRRR, because it has a certain quality to it akin to classic rock. If you prefer a more modern, "polished" sound, then I'd go for Avalanche.

Though I do love both, if you want straight up opinion, I'd say Avalanche. (That is, if you don't already own Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs.)

Order is complete. I got Avalanche (new for 9.98) and Raygun (new for 5.38). Gooooooood times. Thanks again everyone.

Oh yeah, and I've already go Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs. I'm still trying to find a Canadian copy of Beautiful Midnight though cause the US version is missing a few songs. They're replaced by Deep 6ix, Apparitions, annnndddd.... something else that I can't think of off the top of my head. I'm sure you already know though.

Edited by MrManInvisible

White Light harkens back to the earlier rocking style of early MGB,

......no

Were there any strings or synth on LOTGA or Underdogs? No. There certainly were on all the albums after them and before White Light.

The early stuff was basic four-piece rock (like WLRRR). The only difference in instrumentation was that it was occasionally (but not usually) augmented by piano or organ.

Also, I never said they were the same, I said WLRRR reminded me of it, but went even further. Think about it - musically speaking, Avalanche doesn't bear much similarity to those first two albums. It's too lush to do so. Not that that's a bad thing - I like Avalanche, but I don't consider it his best.

Honestly, do most people here not really like White Light? Cause I'm feeling like a bit of a loner here... ;)

Edited by pvnc