Monkey

Tipping A Fool

I have read recently that there is a shortage of workers in the service indusry in Alberta. Employers can not find workers nor can they keep the ones they have. Is this the root of the poor service i have been getting lately? or does no one really care? What do you think?

i heard in calgary that the minimum wage for a server is lesser than that of any other industry because they make the rest up in tips (hopefully). and i also know of a few places in downtown vancouver that dont even pay their servers or bartenders an hourly wage because of the amount of money they make in tips.

as a side note, i just opened a sporting goods store and for fun enabled the 'add tip' option on the interac/visa machine and a few people have actually added a tip. i find THAT fucking funny.

Edited by one_trick_pony

I thought minimum wage wasn't a living wage, too, until I became an adult and actually had to afford to live.

You can't raise a family, by any means, on minimum wage, but the conditions I currently live under require 20 hours of minimum wage pay a week to survive.

Granted, that doesn't take in to account any kind of frivilous spending or anything, but it's still kind of mind-blowing. I mean, working full time at minimum wage I have double what I need. And, sure, I'm poor and live in squalor, but I'm happy.

To clarify the math, $300/month for rent + utilities (because I live in a living room), plus $25 a week or so for food and $100 for a TTC pass. $500/month in total. For easy math, put minimum wage at $7 and you get 17.8 hours a week.

...i bought a 7.1mp digital camera in august and haven't even used it yet. i think i'll bring it to the matt good show on friday.

So are they letting in people with cameras? The ticket doesn't say "No cameras/No recorders." Yet, I'm still weary about bringing mine in case I have to leave it in the car.

...i bought a 7.1mp digital camera in august and haven't even used it yet. i think i'll bring it to the matt good show on friday.

So are they letting in people with cameras? The ticket doesn't say "No cameras/No recorders." Yet, I'm still weary about bringing mine in case I have to leave it in the car.

matt is asking people to post pics of live shows so i think it's safe to assume security will be allowing cameras. as an added note, i've never seen a 'no cameras' clause on any mg/b ticket... camcorders, however have been a problem in the past, but i'm not sure what the deal is now.

A friend of mine got $50 in tips from a couple of drunk guys at a golf course we were working at.

considering they were getting drunk at clubhouse i'd say $50 is par for tips (pun intended). but speaking of good tips, my girlfriend works at a pretty high end restuarant in vancouver and one of her fellow servers served al pacino the other day. he bought a $45 plate and left $200USD.

Edited by one_trick_pony

$25 a week for food? you either eat a lot of pork and beans or not very much of anything.

i make $68,500 a year and still find myself looking for more at times... mind you i have a brand new audi and extremely expensive taste... which i completely hate.

Dude, an Audi? (I'll assume it's either an A3 or an A4)

I'd spring for a G35 way before an Audi. Much better value + depreciation.

Carry on.

I work for tips.

But I count on my hourly wage to cover my taxes & insurance.

I find it hard to believe that any restaurant can LEGALLY forgo some sort of wage for their employees.

I realize tips are a form of payment but the EMPLOYER must pay an employee something.

I am addicted to working for tips.

I do not think I will ever be able to work at a juob with no tips.

It is a thrill to get tipped.

SOme weeks you make BANK & others? Not so much.

Nothing like living on a crap shoot.

So, to recap, I say that I have a $500/month budget, somebody responds with "I'm having trouble making payments on my Audi" and everyone else responds with "You settled for a cheap Audi?"

... Rich bastards.

I'm just saying a Audi A3 wouldn't be my first choice of car were that me making 70k a year.

Edited by ecnarf

when it comes down it, everyone has their own taste in cars. some like cars that drive them and others like to drive cars. some choose a car solely based on looks only. if i chose to spend $45,000 on a car that only looked and felt sexy, i'd own a G35.

for me, i like cars that when upgraded, you can actually feel a difference, quality built, and allow you to put the hammer down and not have to worry about some computer taking over thinking you DON'T want to be spinning the tires and going sideways. that's why i chose the A3.

Funny... I remember when my brother drove my uncle's G35 coupe, he was able to spin the tires just a little bit because of his lousy clutchwork. And my cousin says he's done donuts in the thing.

Maybe that's because the sedan is the one loaded up with the nanny software or because the manual transmission makes it far more difficult for a computer to control the car's directions. Either way.

So I assume that the A3 either doesn't have stability control or it has the option of turning those things off?

this is a good thread.

I've always been a decent tipper, but I've always resented being pressured into paying people extra money for doing their job.

it doesn't make any sense that servers are "supposed" to get tips. cooks don't get tips, dishwashers don't get tips, neither do hosts etc. but because of the culture, servers often make about 3 times what other hospitality workesr make.

i used to be a dishwasher, and I worked harder than anyone else for minimum wage while servers made like 100 bucks a night on tips alone not including their regular pay.

some bartenders also act like you're being cheap if you tip less than a dollar a drink. it's ridiculous.