shade

Shade's Album Upload Topic

so much for not uploading anymore. here's some tony sly compiled from two albums. he's the lead singer/guitarist for the post punk power pop band, "no use for a name". these are solo acoustic versions of their songs and they transfer well to acoustic. the first five are from a split album he did with joey cape (who can't pull off the acoustic thing), and the last two are from the cake boy soundtrack (some lame b movie i've never watched). the first song, "international you day" is one of my favorite love songs. anyway...here's the guy:

no_use_for_a_name_tony.jpg

here's the compiled 'album':

tony sly acoustic

The Stooges: awesome. I've heard some of their stuff, but never an entire album, so that was fun.

The Velvet Underground: classic, always deserves another listening.

Right now I'm listening to the Tony Sly Chris posted, so far so good. Very romantic.

I also downloaded the Talking Heads because I've never heard that album.

Subtle's For Hero: For Fool is incredible! I can't stop listening to it, especially Middleclass Stomp and The Mercury Craze. I've never heard anything like it. It usually takes me a lot of listens to tell how much I like an album. Some of my favorite albums I didn't even like the first time I listened to them. But I can tell this is easily going to be one of my favorites.

Thanks for the uploads Shade!

Edited by Adamobunshin

i don't think i liked the song with jimmy cliff. i love uncomplicated, tokyo storm warning, leave my kitten alone, and battered old bird. costello's one of my favorite vocalists. his albums are hit or miss. i bought one called blue before i knew that it was traditional country music, and ended up hating the whole thing. the man is all over the map.

Subtle's For Hero: For Fool is incredible! I can't stop listening to it, especially Middleclass Stomp and The Mercury Craze. I've never heard anything like it. It usually takes me a lot of listens to tell how much I like an album. Some of my favorite albums I didn't even like the first time I listened to them. But I can tell this is easily going to be one of my favorites.

This makes me smile...one of my favourites as well. I have some more stuff by Doseone (member of subtle) you might like...

Subtle - A New White

20060807180634.jpg

Their first album, still pretty awesome.

Download.

cLOUDDEAD - Ten

cloud.jpg

This is basically THE album. I can barely even call it hip-hop...I don't know what it is really...Doseone from subtle combined with some other great artists.

I suggest everyone get it...you will all probably dig "Dead Dogs Two"

Download.

Also, this is an album a lot of people will like:

13 & God - s/t

200px-13_&_God_-_13_&_God.jpg

This is an album made by an indie band called "The Notwist" and doseone's other hip-hop group "Themselves". It is really chill and easy to get into...

listen to "Men of Station" "Perfect Speed" and my favourite "Superman on ice"..it's all great though

Download.

Edited by shade

i haven't/won't download any of the hippity hop you've uploaded, but shade: have you heard "original pirate material" by the streets? might be your kinda thing, if you like off the beaten path kinda hippity hop. i kinda liked it just cuz of the british accent/colloquialisms (chicks=birds....i love it!!). his release after that kinda blew. it was mostly about the trappings of success and what not.

Also, this is an album a lot of people will like:

13 & God - s/t

200px-13_&_God_-_13_&_God.jpg

This is an album made by an indie band called "The Notwist" and doseone's other hip-hop group "Themselves".  It is really chill and easy to get into...

listen to "Men of Station" "Perfect Speed" and my favourite "Superman on ice"..it's all great though

Download.

This is alright. It reminds me of a hip-hoppier, harder Broken Social Scene or something. I liked "If" the best.

Edited by soundless_space

i haven't/won't download any of the hippity hop you've uploaded

Always good to keep an open mind.

Ya, the streets are pretty lame for the most part. A few decent tracks here and there.

And soundless_space, you should give 13 & God a few more listens here and there...grows on you...also, thanks.

Aw, you're cool, Jason. You're not as bad-ass as you'd like everyone to think. ;)

I actually like downloading the stuff you post because it's never something I would normally listen to, and it's usually stuff I've heard about but never listened to before.

I guess I'd like to hear more jazz or vocals music. I've been wondering if Matt Good is the only real vocalist you listen to, haha. Also, how do you know/hear about so much music?

Okay. So, I've been afraid to engage in this thread, mostly because I'm cut from a similar cloth as Shade: I start suggesting music, and really, really can't stop. Neglect groceries, food, schoolwork, all that.

That Subtle stuff is amazing. Anyone digging on their new album, should look up the videos they have up on youtube...

Start off with a bit of hip hop:

B000AA4LJG.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hell's Winter by Cage. He's on the same label as Aesop Rock (if anyone snagged that album a page or two back.) Guy has a lot of random cats showing up on this album: Including: DJ Shadow, Jello Biafra formerly of the Dead Kennedys (recently of Jello Biafra & The Melvins) (Impersonating George Dubyuh (!)), and Daryl Palumbo (Of Head Automatica and Glassjaw) - among others, of course. I guess Cage's claim to fame was a very brief feud he had with Eminem a while back.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cn33wa

I'll be back in a bit with some post-rock/post-metal stuff, some Saul Williams and whatever else I come across that might fit the bill here.

(I'm assuming, Shade, that you've already snagged the new Locust, yeah?)

s340265.jpg

Transistor Sound and Lighting Co. - S/T

Going through Transistor Sound & Lighting Co.'s album gave me the same thrill as eating a bag of ketchup chips as a kid and finding a cool rock sticker at the bottom of the bag. Each time the album ends, I wipe the drool with my sleeve and scramble for the repeat button.

These boys make the guitar wail like an opera vocalist and confidently oscillate between acoustic and plugged-in magic with precision and prowess. They begin with a bullet of a lead-off track ("Coffee Song" - the best caffeine buzz I've ever experienced) complete with Battlestar Gallactica guitar sounds. Another heavy hitter is "Anyways/Mayonnaise" with stormy vocals and delightful speedster strumming. The rest of the tracks are flawlessly inventive, melodic, open and airy ("Prince Vince" and "Fly the Trike, A Faster Bike," especially). The pop is present and pleasant ("House of Sleep"), while other songs question a stereo's capability with discordantly melodic, blood-and-thunder hooks. To make the experience complete, the last three tracks nip you in the butt with a different shower of sound before the album ends.

Transistor Sound & Lighting Co. are an entertaining force with acoustic surety and electric mayhem. They're unconventional - the antithesis to most music genres - and give 16 sonic steps in 42 minutes flat to a completely cathartic encounter.

5/5

Aubrey McInnis

Alright, here's a few. If anyone's digging on the vibes, lemme know and I'll see if I can't scratch your itch.

99661363ada0ba777a8fe010._AA200_.L.jpg

Radio Swan is Down by Laura

Hailing from Melbourne, Laura are one of the few Australian post-rock bands who play in a style that can be easily compared to contemporaries such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Explosions in the Sky. On first examination, their music sounds like the midpoint of those two bands. Closer examination, however, reveals a greater depth to Laura's music and a much broader range of sounds. Laura employ a wide range of instruments on Radio Swan is Down; guitars, synthesisers, samplers, strings, male and female vocals, brass and various percussion instruments all make welcome appearances throughout the record. Released just over a year after their full-length debut, Radio Swan is Down is the conclusion of an enormous amount of work in a small amount of time. Radio Swan is Down is an intense album that deals with a number of different emotional states; depression, paranoia and joy all seem to be fairly strong themes throughout the album.

The strongest point of Radio Swan is Down is, undoubtedly, the fact that there is just so much in it. The album goes through many different emotions and musical ideas in just one hour, perhaps unsurprising considering that all of the music written for this album originally clocked in at 200 minutes.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m7elvr

B0002VSS3S.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Music for Nurses by Oceansize

(Alas, by no means their best work, but this was the only album I had ripped and handy by my computer. I still love this little EP. If people dig 'em, I'll up more)

This EP confirms Oceansize as one of the least subtle but most exciting British bands currently around. Their style of music doesn't fall readily into a category, which is always a good sign - just when you think they've settled on a straight ahead rock sound along comes an off-beat interlude or sudden chord switch.

Music For Nurses is a mini album, running continuously from the fiery rock of One Out Of nONE to the sprawling As The Smoke Clears. Vocalist Mike Vennart unleashes a fiercesome yell at the outset but demonstrates his agility in more softly spoken moments later on.

Atmospheric, keenly felt and executed with aplomb, the closest parallel I can draw is a heavier version of Mansun. Ones to watch, especially if you get the chance to catch them live.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsm3sl

B0002XEDZI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Self-titled - Saul Williams[/url]

Poetry is a force of nature. It can successfully move through mediums with grace. Saul Williams is an actor and a musician but he is a poet before everything. While some may have seen him at Poetry Slams and others may have saw him in the films Slam and K-Pax. Saul Williams has been making music for years. His song

Aw, you're cool, Jason. You're not as bad-ass as you'd like everyone to think. ;)

I actually like downloading the stuff you post because it's never something I would normally listen to, and it's usually stuff I've heard about but never listened to before.

I guess I'd like to hear more jazz or vocals music. I've been wondering if Matt Good is the only real vocalist you listen to, haha. Also, how do you know/hear about so much music?

HAR.

ya I will try and get some of that shizzy tomorrow or friday...and we'll see if anything appeals to you.

MuttersomeTaxicab: hah, ya right like I wouldn't have the new Locust. Still debating on listening to it or not though...IS IT WORTH THE WAIT? I'll cave soon, I mean its on my computer LOOKING AT ME!!!!11111

also, pretty standard post rock you got there...ever heard of Shora?

Transistor Sound & Lighting Co. was pretty cool. Shorter than I expected. The guys voice got on my nerves after a while.

I'm downloading a few you posted, Billy. Can one still listen to Clutch if they don't "blaze" ?? ;)

EDIT: Radio Swan is Down is alright. I really try to enjoy music like this, but I find it so boring sometimes. The instruments are very pretty and all, but I find I really need vocals to keep interested. I guess I have to keep on listening. No doubt it's as emotionally charged as vocal music, my attention just isn't always focused on it as much as I think it should be.

And Jason, I'm looking forward to whatever you decide to post.

Edited by soundless_space

here's a few more. i think i'm done for a while, cuz i honestly don't think i have anything else that you haven't heard/can't easily find on your own/would want to hear.

post-punk/indie rock from la(?). came and went in the mid-nineties:

1000monalisasnewdisease.jpg

1,000 mona lisas - new disease

post-punk/indie rock band from montreal, now broken up:

frenetics-mistakes.jpg

the frenetics - these mistakes took years of practice

if you don't like this one, we can't be friends:

strummer.jpg

joe strummer and the mescaleros - streetcore

Okay, my report back if anyone cares:

1,000 Mona Lisas - nice guitars, but I didn't like the guys voice. Kind of turned me off to listening to it, but they sounded like fairly well-written songs.

The Frenetics - awesome. I have a weak spot for this kind of stuff. I really liked it.

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - fun! I really enjoyed listening to this one.

Okay, my report back if anyone cares:

1,000 Mona Lisas - nice guitars, but I didn't like the guys voice. Kind of turned me off to listening to it, but they sounded like fairly well-written songs.

The Frenetics - awesome. I have a weak spot for this kind of stuff. I really liked it.

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - fun! I really enjoyed listening to this one.

if you're interested, the frenetics made two other albums besides that while they were together. an ep called "scenery", and a full length called "grey veins to the parking lot". they're both great, but i have neither anymore (my hardrive backup catastrofuck). i saw them live a few years ago. 'twas a good show.

and i'm glad you liked strummer's last album. i'd hate to have to stop talking to you.