Moonlight_Graham

Why Is Black Helicopter On 'hospital Music'

Black Helicopter is a great song. However, it seems entirely political to me and stands out on the the Hospital Music album as pretty much the only song that isn't very personal in nature or having to do with MG's health/relationships. It just seems like it doesn't fit on the album.

Is there some back story to the song that i'm missing?

Yeah, I've kind of wondered about this too... and lyrically, in my opinion, it doesn't stand up against Matt's other political stuff or the rest of HM... "You're gonna get what you deserve" and so on. Something about it just seemed off to me.

Yeah, I've kind of wondered about this too... and lyrically, in my opinion, it doesn't stand up against Matt's other political stuff or the rest of HM... "You're gonna get what you deserve" and so on. Something about it just seemed off to me.

Disagreed. The lyrics to Black Helicopter are perfectly fine and there's a couple great lines in there. Let's not criticize them, I don't think that's what this thread is about at all.

I have thought too though about it being an odd choice for Hospital Music but I couldn't care less as it's possibly the best song on there.

Musically, it fits in well with the rest of the album, and while yes, lyrically it is easily the most "political" of the songs on HM, politics is something Matt has always been passionate about and is a big part of his life, much like the other subjects he talks about on the album.

I think Black Helicopter was written earlier than most of the other songs on Hospital Music. The initial demo was released in late 2005, and I think the rest of the songs were from the following year. Maybe this is why the song addresses some different issues.

I think Black Helicopter was written earlier than most of the other songs on Hospital Music. The initial demo was released in late 2005, and I think the rest of the songs were from the following year. Maybe this is why the song addresses some different issues.

Yes, i remember the demo being released just before Christmas one year, long before it had been considered for the album. I remember the demo being a "Christmas present" to fans on mg.org, so said Matt at the time.