adam_777

Thoughts on "Bootlegging"

Nice write-up here.  I'm sure the security guard did not know that MG has an account here and is clearly aware of the almost 20 years of bootlegged shows being shared around here.  The problem most likely does not lie with Matt himself, as we would have heard about it well before this show. It's not like anyone was being secretive about the plans to record most of the shows on this tour.  Hell, he posted the lyrics to the new song on a thread where people were clearly trying to figure them out from audience recordings.  It's probably more to do with the venue/promoter/label and that guy's impression of artists' usual stance on bootlegging.  So don't feel bad, give it another go next time, and if MG doesn't want us to boot then he will tell us and we will respect that.

Yeah no. Guys. That's a venue thing definitely.

Last year at the Danforth I had my phone out to record when Holly and Matt were doing Cloudbusting together.

A security guard came over an told me to the put the phone away. And I was very confused. Because I've never had a problem taking video or anything (and keep in mind, this is a phone, not professional equipment even). The guard was hasselling me, and since I was right at the front Matt saw it happening and waved the guy off with a very "what-the-hell-are-you-doing" expression on his face.

The guard backed off, but then another came like 10 sec later. And Matt intervened again saying it was fine.

This goes back to the security discussion in the other thread. I feel like some guards just feel the need to overly assert their "authority", put on the muscle and get cocky. Some security guys are great. I've had great experiences with some guards helping me with stuff, keeping me safe, passing me setlists once they kicked everybody out. However I have also encountered my share of douches.

Edited by emmit643

After the show last night despite the security guards comments that I was disrespecting the band, four things happened that made me feel quite the opposite.  Peter Fuseo specifically singled me out while Matt thanked the audience and smiled and nodded.  Blake Manning walked over and tossed a drumstick right too me.  Two long time diehard fans, who Matt knows on a first name basis and has singled out in the crowd during shows in the past walked up to introduce themselves and ask with great enthusiasm where they could find my recordings and a lady who had been standing at the other end of the venue and I'd never met before, walked over and specifically said "I'm so glad you got that drumstick, you deserved it, you knew the words to every song, even the brand new one."  Despite the security guards assertion it was nice to know some people saw it a different way. 

This is awesome on so many levels.

Edited by girl

As it's been said that's a venue thing. I get the feeling the venue doesn't want to ask every artist one by one so they just decided it was a basic rule. But that security guard was talking through his ass. Matt used to be against it until he changed his mind around 2003 where he said this: 

"I've had a whole turn-around on the bootlegging thing. Bootleg my shows! Listen to them online, I don't give a shit. As long as people are reasonable, as long as they still help support making the records so I can continue to make more music and, obviously, I can pay my bills and uh, you know, come to the shows and that kinda thing, then fine by me. And I'm lucky though because I have excellent fans and smart ones."

https://youtu.be/EuahZut7vEc?t=2m59s

Maybe show him that next time (if only :P)

Adam it sucks that this happened to you. If a venue doesn't want someone to bootleg a show and it is their stance they should maybe put up a sign instead of threatening someone. Total bullshit move especially when everyone has their cell phones recording these days. At least the story had a happy ending for you though. The whole "lets go to the back and have a chat" You should have told them "Sure but can Matt come too since his has been ok with tapings in the past, or how about we bring some of these people videotaping with us"  Seems like it was a prick worker who singled you out.

There isn't one thing you said Adam that I can think of to go against your points.  Unfortunately you gotta lick your wounds on that one and chalk it up to this guy being a guy abusing his security duty.  Very well written statement and its really so true the negative stigma with live recordings.

Sounds like the security guy likes to be a dick.

Is that club owned by the mob or something? Maybe a biker gang? Real tough guy.

I may be mistaken but isn't this the same venue where Tony and his girlfriend were also treated like shit?  Maybe someone needs to contact venue management about their asshole employees.  Think of it like this  Tony and Adam are two people that we know for sure got shit treatment  what about the hundreds of other concert fans who aren't on this forum?  If people didn't know any better they could think that these jerks work for Matt and stop going to his shows over it.   It's a travesty that people would abuse power.  They probably took the lyrics to X Rated literally.

Well written Adam and I agree with everything you've said.  It's a shame that you got targeted at the show, especially when others around you on cellphones are more disruptive and obvious in what they are doing than you are.  Unfortunately when tapers go to a show they know they are in a possible gray area and don't have much grounds for an argument.

I believe foats is on to something, the way Tony and his girlfriend were treated and how you were singled out are probably more to do with the venue staff than anything.  The comment Tips found from 2003 about MG's thought on taping is useful but unless the venue is told about those wishes each time an artist comes through the staff will enforce their own policies.   

The music industry has adapted to constant changes, but taping/bootlegging seems to be an area that has remained in the past and continues to have negative connotations associated with it.  It's not fair that someone on their cellphone or "prosumer" digital camera can capture visuals and possibly decent audio, but the fan with concealed microphones is the enemy. 

• Upvote 1

The same guy who accosted Adam over his recordings did so to me during soundcheck too. Pat and Stu started jamming on Highway to Hell while everyone was at merch so I figured I'll stick around and record it for you guys. Pulled out my phone and started taping and the guy starts walking towards me gesturing that I leave while there is still a huge line up at merch. I only got a 10 second clip because of that. In the video you can even see him walking over to me like I was some kind of threat he needed to distance from the band.

Edited by LostAndFoundAndLostAgain

Guest Idioteque

Yes and I mentioned the situation about a security guard dragging out a guy for using his lighter during Strange Days, the drunk guy had his hands up like he's being arrested & this particular security guard who I recognize from lots of shows had the man by his throat. The whole crowd in my area watched, I hope someone caught that on film.

I applaud the commodore ballroom for caring so much about the artists, but at the cost of fans getting mistreated? I don't know what Matt thinks of weed during his shows but there was joints going right infront of security & they didnt care. I figure that would be more of a priority than someone recording the show.

Bootlegging for $$$ has given a bad rep for genuinely wanting to capture a show & not make money off it. Almost like how scalpers have made it really hard to genuinely try to sell an extra ticket if your friend bails lol.

I must say I am impressed how many took the time to read through that, I kind of prattled on, but its something I've often thought about and as Gursky pointed out, its not like the 1970's where only one person at the show is recording something.  Probably 50% if not more of the crowd will take some form of photo, video or audio recording, so I fail to see why to this day there is still such an issue.  

I do plan to continue to record shows for you guys because I know the appreciation is there.  This experience hasn't deterred me any, it just makes me question why this perception exists and I wanted to get some feedback from others.  As for the security guard, I wasn't intimidated, if I had been at the show alone I might have even pushed to see just what this private back room conversation was apparently going to entail, but when you're at the show with someone else, its best just to zip the lip so they don't have their night ruined over it.  

As Jess pointed out this was the same security guard who asked us to move along during the soundcheck.  The funny part about that was that we had been standing over there after the group photo and the band actually approached us to chat.  The band started into a fun rendition of Highway to Hell and we were asked to move along, but as Jess pointed out most of the VIP's were still there at merch, so we ended up just being moved back there to stand in line for another three minutes, so I don't see the harm in just watching them jam for a couple more minutes.  

I understand these guys have a job to do and I feel for them honestly they have to deal with a lot of idiots.  I just don't see how in a crowd where people are starting fights and so forth that a guy enjoying the show with a couple mini mics out to make a recording is deemed an issue.  The point that irked me wasn't that I was busted, it was that clearly there is this prevailing belief that someone taping a show is someone with no respect for the band, where in my experience with myself and other tapers it is quite the opposite.  

For those wondering I did still tape about half the show...and because I taped the VIP I do have a recording of Advertising on Police Cars.  

The same guy who accosted Adam over his recordings did so to me during soundcheck too. Pat and Stu started jamming on Highway to Hell while everyone was at merch so I figured I'll stick around and record it for you guys. Pulled out my phone and started taping and the guy starts walking towards me gesturing that I leave while there is still a huge line up at merch. I only got a 10 second clip because of that. In the video you can even see him walking over to me like I was some kind of threat he needed to distance from the band.

yeah I think this issue needs to be addressed with the management of the arena. This is now 4 people (the guy in Tony's post also)  who were treated horribly by staff at the venue. 3 of whom are huge MG fans and post here regularly.  Maybe we can trend it #boycottcommodore      #commodore64

• Upvote 1

Yes and I mentioned the situation about a security guard dragging out a guy for using his lighter during Strange Days, the drunk guy had his hands up like he's being arrested & this particular security guard who I recognize from lots of shows had the man by his throat. The whole crowd in my area watched, I hope someone caught that on film.

Aw, the guy had his hands up like he was being arrested?!?  Poor guy. Drunk or not drunk, there's no excuse for that. He must have been traumatized and wondering what the hell's going on. This all sounds like an episode of COPS or Border Security, where they take you to the back room and grill you until you break and tell the truth.

I was think of going to Commodore Ballroom, at least once in my lifetime, for a concert. It was on my bucket list. Now, I'm not so sure. haha

Edited by girl

Aw, the guy had his hands up like he was being arrested?!?  Poor guy. Drunk or not drunk, there's no excuse for that. He must have been traumatized and wondering what the hell's going on. This all sounds like an episode of COPS or Border Security, where they take you to the back room and grill you until you break and tell the truth.

I was think of going to Commodore Ballroom, at least once in my lifetime, for a concert. It was on my bucket list. Now, I'm not so sure. haha

Honestly Girl, don't let these experiences deter you.  For instance, if I hadn't been recording, I would have had a perfectly enjoyable experience.  And even though I was recording on night one I had a fantastic experience too and wasn't busted.  Everyone always screams bloody murder when something goes wrong, but for 98% of the audience I am sure they had no issues what so ever and just a fantastic time.  Seeing a Matthew Good show at the Commodore is awesome and Matt even said on his final night of all the Vancouver venues the Commodore is essentially the cream of the crop.  

I remember when I became a fan of MGB  seemingly the bootlegs I would find would be from the Commodore.  As a young boy in the States I kept thinking of how cool a venue it must be.   I may be wrong but the big 3 seemingly were Commodore, Vogue, and the warehouse.  I would love to see pics of all 3 from the outside and in  just to ease my curiosity over the years.

#switchingtoapple

I guess I'm glad I was in the middle of the crowd a few rows back. Nobody ever bothered me about shooting all of those videos I posted on youtube, not once. I wasn't putting my phone in front of people or anything, it was always just in front of my face (or a little higher sometimes without worry b/c i'm tall, nobody behind me was taller than me). 

Matt's still cool with people bootlegging/videoing a few songs here and there, or?

Guest Idioteque

I love the history from the Commodore, you can find lots of photos of legendary bands playing there (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam etc), my friend who used to play in Bif Naked has alot of war stories from the backstage.