Shiri

What Was The Last Movie You Saw?

Marie Antoinette. I liked it a lot more than I thought. I started it expecting to hate it, but then it had an Aphex Twin song in the menu, and I had a real exploding heart like in The Grinch moment. It was really well shot and the way Sophia Copolla made a very modern but accurate period peace was excellent. I think the reason a lot of people didn't like it at Cannes was because it gives a very well known history a very human side. It really makes you question the way we understand history, and how hard it is to approach it with the right mix of subjectivity and objectivity.

It also had this song in it that I've been trying to identify for the past few weeks, and I remembered the tune but still had no idea what it was. Then, thanks to this movie, I found out it was Age of Consent by New Order. The End.

Don't Look Back.

Bob Dylan documentary. I missed the last 20 minutes last night because my girlfriend's dad called to tell her he had to put her dog to sleep because it got really sick really fast. The vet thinks she had a tumour that burst and she was bleeding into herself, I guess. Erin was really upset obviously because she had the dog for most of her life so I felt really bad for her. Anyway, I'll have to rewatch the documentary but it was pretty awesome so far. They basically followed Dylan around for 3 weeks while he was touring; this was just before he went electric and was still solo acoustic.

Dead Man: An interesting film starring Johnny Depp that I had never heard of before. It's about an accountant that killed in self defense and became wanted for murder, and met a native who was trying to prepare him for this "spiritual journey". It was a western and not much really happened but it kept my attention and I really enjoyed it. Neil Young did the soundtrack.

The Number 23: Waaaaay better than I thought it would be. I actually thought it was really good; awesome murder mystery.