Disestabulistic

What Are You Reading?

i finished read Memoirs of a Geisha a short while ago. basically i knew that i always intended on reading it so i decided to do it before i saw the movie so as to not have a tainted view. within the last week i've read maybe 5 books; a variety of teen fiction, nothing spectacular, enjoyable for a fast read.

Currently I am reading The Lord of the Rings (for the fifth or so time because I <3 Tolkien); I started it in order to have something to do over Christmas. On the nonfiction side, I am reading The Purpose Driven Life, which I recieved for Christmas. Both are great books.

Just some quick comments on previous mentions:

I read the Earthsea series during finals and it was a LOT of fun to read, I would definately recommend to fantasy fans.

Catch 22 is definately one of my favorite books. I haven't read it for a couple years now, but I would for sure say it is worth reading for those who haven't.

i'm reading elmer gantry by sinclair lewis. i was in the used bookstore buying a library for my friend sarah and i found this book i'd never heard anything more than the title, it was only 4 bones so i picked it up.

i don't have much to say about it yet because i just got into it, but so far it's all that it promised.

I am reading 'Underground! : The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology and Hidden History.'

This book kicks some mega ass.

For instance, before all the ice from the ice age melted, the ocean levels used to be 100 metres lower. This means (and has been proven) that an area equivalent to three times the size of Canada used to be not covered by water. They have found immense temple cities underwater near India that predate what was thought to be the beginning of human civilization by as much as 20,000 years.

They have even found pyramids underwater many, many miles off the coasts of the world.

Also, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea used to be fertile valleys, not seas (they flooded when the oceans rose), and the Sahara desert used to be jungle. People used to live in those places. Archaeologists are just now uncovering what appears to be human civilization that far predates anything known up to this point, such that humanity seems to have had several cycles of high point, then destruction, followed by a low point, and back again. The history we know now with the Greeks and Romans et cetera is only a fraction of the story.

It is really a fascinating, fascinating book, and what i just detailed is only from the introduction.

Jest of God - Margaret Laurence

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison

Alien Heart - Lyall Powers

Othello - Shakespeare

Troilus and Cressida - Shakespeare

Tomorrow Tamer - Margaret Laurence

Wild Peculiar Joy - Irving Layton

The joys of multitasking.

No Logo, it's long, very dry and boring in some spots, but it's good to educate yourself on what you're actually buying, so the struggle continues. bascially a good read in you like facts and numbers

if i understand correctly, i'm a lot like you. i feel an obligation to finish a book whether i'm enjoying it or not.

No Logo, it's long, very dry and boring in some spots, but it's good to educate yourself on what you're actually buying, so the struggle continues. bascially a good read in you like facts and numbers

if i understand correctly, i'm a lot like you. i feel an obligation to finish a book whether i'm enjoying it or not.

i do too, but when it gets to the point that i'm having to force myself to read it, i usually give up. i read for pleasure, and if i've read half a book and it's just a total drag i can't make myself finish it ceases to be enjoyable for me.

i do too, but when it gets to the point that i'm having to force myself to read it, i usually give up. i read for pleasure, and if i've read half a book and it's just a total drag i can't make myself finish it ceases to be enjoyable for me.

I sometimes take breaks from books to read other books, then when I get back to the original book, I'm able to finish it.

The Quantum and the Lotus : A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet

In this book-length conversation, French Buddhist monk Ricard and Vietnamese-born astrophysicist Trinh explore how Buddhism and modern science address life's big questions. Among the matters they touch on, sometimes fleetingly and sometimes in depth, are the illusory nature of phenomena, the guiding intelligence of nature, and the search for the mechanisms that drive planets and humans alike. Both authors, each conversant in the other's medium, argue against reductionist views of nature. And both provide plenty of data that support Albert Einstein's declaration that "if there is any religion that could correspond to the needs of modern science, it would be Buddhism."

thank you amazon.com

Edited by cleric9999

Guest apsham

I just got finished reading 'Invisible Monsters' by Chuck Palahniuk and now I am starting on one of his other novels, 'Survivor: The Novel'.