Corrinshwa

Worst Band....your Thoughts?

Matt Good himself has listed Jimmy Page and Led Zepplin as one of his inspirations. I wonder how his music would have turned out had they not existed. What I'm saying, is that even if Ryan44 doesn't like Led Zepplin, he should give them credit for being influential. For example, you may not like Nirvana, but they influenced a lot of people and even bands you may like now. Does that me you like them just cause they influenced people? No, but give credit where credit is do.

I'm also not saying that Page and Hendrix simply created rock out of thin air. Rock has been evolving for years and years. They did however play an intigral role in where it is today. You can't deny that.

edit: spelling

Edited by matrix

go to the southern united states. find the oldest black dude who plays guitar. listen to him play. thats where rock and roll came from.

More or less. Practically all forms of new music today (rock, pop, hip-hop) can be traced right back to the beginning of the 20th century from jazz and blues.

Matt Good himself has listed Jimmy Page and Led Zepplin as one of his inspirations. I wonder how his music would have turned out had they not existed. What I'm saying, is that even if Ryan44 doesn't like Led Zepplin, he should give them credit for being influential. For example, you may not like Nirvana, but they influenced a lot of people and even bands you may like now. Does that me you like them just cause they influenced people? No, but give credit where credit is do.

I'm also not saying that Page and Hendrix simply created rock out of thin air. Rock has been evolving for years and years. They did however play an intigral role in where it is today. You can't deny that.

Sure, but you've gotta avoid the "first is best" fallacy. For instance Elvis was extremely influential, but looking beyond his fame and influence, he actually wasn't that great of a musician; I would go so far as to say he really sucked.

i agree with mostly everyuthing said so far. im going add stuff that people might not put down

led zep

jimi hendrix

the who

rolling stones

steppenwolf

colin james

fall out boy

rise against

ANY SCREAMO/EMO/POP PUNK

they are all the worst.

I've just decided I really hate you.

Agreed Azalroth. Ryan44's list just shows 2 things -->

1) He has no musical taste

2) He likes to follow the crowd and not think on his own.

Now you may be thinking that these items are mutually exclusive, but I think we have a prime example here. I will be contacting National Geographic so that they may docuement this new level of stupidity. Ryan44, I salute you!

And just for the record, I'm adopting jsunC as my little brother.

Matt Good himself has listed Jimmy Page and Led Zepplin as one of his inspirations.  I wonder how his music would have turned out had they not existed.  What I'm saying, is that even if Ryan44 doesn't like Led Zepplin, he should give them credit for being influential.  For example, you may not like Nirvana, but they influenced a lot of people and even bands you may like now.  Does that me you like them just cause they influenced people? No, but give credit where credit is do.

I'm also not saying that Page and Hendrix simply created rock out of thin air.  Rock has been evolving for years and years.  They did however play an intigral role in where it is today.  You can't deny that.

Sure, but you've gotta avoid the "first is best" fallacy. For instance Elvis was extremely influential, but looking beyond his fame and influence, he actually wasn't that great of a musician; I would go so far as to say he really sucked.

No, you're right. I actually don't like either Hendrix or Led Zepplin. However, I can't say they suck, because they made some very good music and are very influentail to a lot of musicains. My point is, that you can't say they suck because of what they've done for the musical world.

Example: Good Charlotte sucks because they've brought nothing or contributed anything to the musical world. Crap really.

Both Hendrix and Zepplin have brought something and contributed to a lot of people. Does that make me like them? No, but I do give them credit for their ideas.

No, you're right. I actually don't like either Hendrix or Led Zepplin. However, I can't say they suck, because they made some very good music and are very influentail to a lot of musicains. My point is, that you can't say they suck because of what they've done for the musical world.

Example: Good Charlotte sucks because they've brought nothing or contributed anything to the musical world. Crap really.

Both Hendrix and Zepplin have brought something and contributed to a lot of people. Does that make me like them? No, but I do give them credit for their ideas.

see this is where your idea becomes shaky. influence is not only limited to an artist's worth or "contributions" to music. bad artists influence people just as much as the good do. stop thinking of only positive influences, as the word is not just a strictly positive thing. there are negative influences as well.

also, keep in mind that these things are SUBJECTIVE. there is no universal concept of what constitutes good/bad music. therefore, "good" and "bad" artists share the same contribution to music. listenning to led zeppelin simply due to their percieved critical weight is missing out on the point that people should listen to music because its what they enjoy, not because of what it means to the western world's musical canon.

matt good also lists the replacements as an influence and yet i dont see you parading around when someone mentions their name. i also think that the replacements have had more influence over the past 20 years of how music sounds than led zeppelin have.

also, in your example, you chose a contemporary band to compare to hendrix and zeppelin. and yet, you couldnt possibly know what kind of influence good charlotte will have. its easy to see with hendrix and zeppelin because hindsight is 20/20, but saying good charlotte won't have an influence is going to make us believe that you have a crystal ball hidden somewhere. who's to say that there won't be a bunch of copycat bands all made in good charlotte's image in ten years time? actually, it seems pretty bloody likely to me (although unfortunate).

Another example of the negative influence would probably be rap. Somewhere along the line someone decided to rap about bitches and hoes, and getting high, and rolling on dubs, and so on, now all of them do, and they probably will for a long time to come.

Confirmation of Led Zeppelin's ever-burgeoning strengths appeared on 1971's Led Zeppelin IV, also known as "Four Symbols", the "Runes Album", or "Zoso", in deference to the fact that the set bore no official title. It included "Stairway To Heaven", a band tour de force. Arguably the definitive heavy rock song, it continues to win polls, and the memorable introduction remains every guitar novice's first hurdle.

Although their commercial success is unquestionable, Led Zeppelin are now rightly recognized as one of the most influential bands of the rock era and their catalogue continues to provide inspiration to successive generations of musicians.

-BBC/Encyclopedia of Popular Music

James Patrick "Jimmy" Page, OBE (born January 9, 1944) is an English musician and considered to be one of the greatest and most influential guitarists in rock music history.

-Wikipedia

The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

1 Jimi Hendrix

2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

3 B.B. King

4 Eric Clapton

5 Robert Johnson

6 Chuck Berry

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

8 Ry Cooder

9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

-Rolling Stone, 2003

Beginning in the 1980s, the iconic nature of many Led Zeppelin riffs made them a popular target for sampling, initially unauthorised, but later sanctioned by the surviving band members, to mixed reactions from fans. Hip-hop group the Beastie Boys sampled two Led Zeppelin songs for their Licensed to Ill album; they used Bonham's drum introduction from "When the Levee Breaks" (which was also used by Mike Oldfield and Erasure) for the song "Rhymin' and Stealin'", and parts of "The Ocean" for "She's Crafty".

For the 1998 movie Godzilla, guitarist Jimmy Page collaborated with Puff Daddy, reworking the famous riff from "Kashmir" in the song "Come With Me"

Guest apsham

This thread has made me realize the number of pretencious music fucks that we have here.

And as a side note, I NEVER AGAIN IN MY LIFE want to see that goddamn Rolling Stone guitarists list, in my LIFE.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

This thread has made me realize the number of pretencious music fucks that we have here.

And as a side note, I NEVER AGAIN IN MY LIFE want to see that goddamn Rolling Stone guitarists list, in my LIFE.

Are you calling me pretencious?

insert led zeppelin information here

i think you missed my point.

I think you missed Matrix's point. That is: that Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix and other's mentioned in your guys' little bitch fight, don't deserve to be listed in the worst bands list. Obviously there are several bands that any one is entitled to dislike but you can't say a band is the worst when it is so obviously a pioneer of it's time and extremely influencial. Mabey a better statement would have been-"I hate Jimi Hendrix, but he is still one of the best artist of the 70's"? Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so if you REALLY honestly think that the mentioned bands are the worst bands then go ahead and say that. I just think that would be a very misguided statement considering that many of their guitar riffs and rock rythems have inspired some of the best groups today. Oh and don't forget the lyrics that had some of the best protest and meaning behind them.

insert led zeppelin information here

i think you missed my point.

I think you missed Matrix's point. That is: that Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix and other's mentioned in your guys' little bitch fight, don't deserve to be listed in the worst bands list. Obviously there are several bands that any one is entitled to dislike but you can't say a band is the worst when it is so obviously a pioneer of it's time and extremely influencial. Mabey a better statement would have been-"I hate Jimi Hendrix, but he is still one of the best artist of the 70's"? Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so if you REALLY honestly think that the mentioned bands are the worst bands then go ahead and say that. I just think that would be a very misguided statement considering that many of their guitar riffs and rock rythems have inspired some of the best groups today. Oh and don't forget the lyrics that had some of the best protest and meaning behind them.

Thank god someone finally got the point.

No matter how much you don't like those particular artists, they did influence a lot of people. They are a part of music history, like it or not. Give credit where it's due.