Guest Prosis

Important Question

Laptop: Mac or PC  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Laptop: Mac or PC

• Mac
    • PC

webdev on a mac is no different than webdev on a pc. its just the browser.

i have to agree on the pretty thing as well. i grew up on macs but when i switched to pc, i never turned back. i liked macs when pcs were running on 3.1. they had the first good gui system but now macs crash just like pcs do. mac os x may be "invulnerable" to virii now but as mac devs keep trying to integrate into the windows world that won't last too long.

satty brings up a point. macs and pcs have been around about the same time yet they're still second place. there likely won't be any sort of mac revolution though ipods and iphones are still neat. why do you think apple inc is coming up with phones and mp3/video players? because their computers arent selling.

their main problem is that i can buy a pc at probably 100 different places in this city, while macs are available at less than 5 places.

and that discrepancy is mostly based on price. why does a 23" mac lcd monitor cost $1100 when a regular 22" lcd can be had for $500?

the only things that have ever kept me from buying a mac have been price, lack of customization and lack of compatibility.

Edited by saturnine

I voted wrong. I voted for PC when I meant Mac.

It all depends on what your needs are. I'll always say get a Mac because that's what I'm used to and I don't really like PC.

Like, if you're running a business, I'd probably say get a PC.

Fucking hell I didn't think I'd start so much of a debate.

Ok, well I will read that article Christine but viruses are not a problem for me in one case or another. But you are right, Windows is more and more trying to be like Mac OS not the other way around. Windows Vista is more or less a cheap heavy copy of Mac OS x. Plus, Mac OS tend to be less of a ressource junkie. I had Mac OS 9.1 on a crappy old 1997 Powerbook and it ran as well as my Windows XP on my 1.8 ghz, 512mb PC. So in that way I prefer Mac.

But the price is completely ridiculous. Even though it's a good bet. Because Macs are relevant longer (ie: my prior example).

Now, as far as software is concerned I am absolutely not a gamer so that's out of the way. I need programmers tools and toys which are all compatible with Mac...well mostly.

Now the price, a MacBook is out of the question because of its 12" screen. So it's up to a MacBook Pro. But the MacBook is 2 999,99 $ which is rather a lot if you consider the fact that I was able to get exactly what I need at Dell for 950$.

But the mac would allow me to install all three OS's which is great for testing.

:angry: ;)

Edited by Prosis

I'm not in any way saying Macs are going to take over the world; they're far from it, but they are selling more now than ever. Call it a 20 year attempt if you want, but the past few years have been significant for Apple's computer sales.

I certainly realize that trying to convince the world to switch to Apple is as silly a trying to convince the world to stop using oil right now, but it is a fact that they are growing in popularity. A couple years ago I could only buy a Mac at one store in my town, now they're available at places like Futureshop & Staples. That's a sign that things are changing.

Also, you can get a Macbook with 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive for about $1500 and you can customize it.

Prosis: Hey, sorry, I posted this without seeing your post first. I guess I started this huge debate. I just really love my Macs and I have the urge to defend them when people bash them when they obviously don't know anything about them.

Edited by Christing

Prosis: Hey, sorry, I posted this without seeing your post first. I guess I started this huge debate. I just really love my Macs and I have the urge to defend them when people bash them when they obviously don't know anything about them.

That's alright, but eww don't call me Prosis anymore...I prefer Daniel ;)

When my friend tells me he's thinking of getting a Macbook, I start telling him about his future. Sitting in Starbucks with his glaringly white computer, wearing a sweater-vest, subtle bell bottoms, crushed velvet scarf, and saucy beret. Sipping on a fair-trade Grand

I spent $5000 by choice although Apple does gouge a bit in price with some products. There's no way you can justify some of their price points. But like I said, they also put together a much better machine than I could find anywhere else without getting into the same price point.

Plus it is geared better what I use it for, and I wanted it to still be competitive and reliable for years to come. I had to get a laptop because I need portability, it is also a desktop replacement as I don't own one.

I can honestly say that I do not regret my purchase at all and I am extremely impressed with my mac. Having said that there are a few tiny things that irritate me to no end about OS X, although I can only remember one... Why can't I fuckin' cut a file and paste into a new folder? That is abolsutely retarded. Dragging from one window to another is a lot of extra work, much like copying and then deleting. Lame.

You don't need to spend what I spent to get a good machine, I chose what I chose for recording purposes and graphic design, and a lot of multitasking and portability. When I'm working on something I want shit to happen fast, fuck rendering for hours on end. It's my choice and I gladly paid for it.

MACS ARE NOT FOR FAGS DAMNIT!

I love my mac computers. Assholes...

FINE! I CHANGE MY MIND! I was being all good and stuff about "Choose what you want" now I'm going BUY A FUCKING MAC AND YOU WONT REGRET IT!

Damn you all. DAMN YOU TO HELL! Execpt for the ones who are like me and like Macs, and that are Beth.

Mac's are good if you really need it, i don't, there for i didn't get one, and i am happy with my decision. If i had a mac, i would have had to get "special" programs for my computer because i wouldn't be able to use the ones that my school gives to me. so my advice to you would be, figure out what programs you are going to be using, and that will help your decision out too.

Mac's are good if you really need it, i don't, there for i didn't get one, and i am happy with my decision.  If i had a mac, i would have had to get "special" programs for my computer because i wouldn't be able to use the ones that my school gives to me.  so my advice to you would be, figure out what programs you are going to be using, and that will help your decision out too.

This is a good line of reasoning. I only use my computer for updating my website, mixing studio sessions (usually winds up being around 16-20 tracks + real time effects), editing a video every now and then, and communicating with people online. I have an Intel dual core running at 2.13GHz each with 1GB RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 7600. It was more than enough for everything I do and it was well under $2000. Moral of the story: don't pay for more than what you need.

Edited by NotFromOklahoma

I was turned off by their efforts to be trendy and hip, sacrificing functionality for 'cuteness'. I speak of course, of the original iMac and it's stupid, single-button oreo cookie mouse thing....Followed by that clear plastic monstrosity where the whole upper body of the mouse is the button.

Edited by Sparq