McGuffin

Born Losers

Guest Prosis
her 'singing method'? what are you talking about?

ps awful*

It's hard to describe with text. But the way she uses her voice. Like she's forcing and the voice is rapidly deviating for its original note...a bit like the Cranberries singer...

Listen to her sing I think you'll get it.

It's hard to describe with text. But the way she uses her voice. Like she's forcing and the voice is rapidly deviating for its original note...a bit like the Cranberries singer...

Listen to her sing I think you'll get it.

i've been listening! it's my favourite song of the bunch so i've heard it way more than any of them. i dunno, i think her voice sounds great, i have no idea who she is, where she came from, or even her name, but she has a lovely voice and i think it adds to the song without taking over completely.

also, i don't really get why everyone keeps saying this song is country because it's totally not. do you guys automatically label anything with a tiny bit of twang as country?

Anyone else thinking "There ain't nothing to this but your daughter and the life you would not give her break your plans" lines have something to do with the Holy Trinity picture he drew and posted and took down and reposted on his flickr?

Absolutely. He even wrote about that last year on his site - a terminated pregnancy and regrets...

That line plus some of the others make this song the most direct, personal, and raw emotion-filled tune I have heard. Combine that with the driving beat and yet get an amazing mix. A mix of bitterness and energy, of emotion and pure Canadian rock.

Everyone has their own ways of judging songs and I respect that, but I don't get the very negative reviews. I understand the ones who say it isn't their favourite, but Shade, you'll have to enlighten us a bit on your rather brief review...

--

Also in terms of the lyrics discussion, I think it is:

No day for night

Matt pronounces the "night" with a strong Canadian T, almost sounding like a plural "nights".

This expression is a metaphor for pretending - for making believe things are a certain way when they are not (note: refer to his many postings about his marriage). It is in reference to a classic movie technique and also used very nicely on the cover of The Hip album of the same name. Type in "Day for Night" in Wikipedia...

Edited by blanchie

Everyone has their own ways of judging songs and I respect that, but I don't get the very negative reviews. I understand the ones who say it isn't their favourite, but Shade, you'll have to enlighten us a bit on your rather brief review...

I don't understand how you don't understand negative reviews. It doesn't even matter what I think of the song anyways...as long as you take something from it, good times.

The negative reviews are pretty easy to understand, actually.

We've come to expect an incredibly high standard from Matt, and now he's coming a little short of it. this doesn't mean the music is bad per se, but it is a letdown when you're accustomed to such excellent songs time after time. At least that's where I think the negative reviews are coming from.

I think I need to clarify: I understand negative reviews as a concept... I can give you plenty of those about other songs (non-MG).

What I am not so clear on is what is wrong with this particular song. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Born Losers, because I think it sounds great, and stands quite well next to his back catalogue. I don't think he has let us down at all. I also don't hear anything wrong with his voice...

I listen to it about twice per day and I like a little more each time.

The negative reviews are pretty easy to understand, actually.

We've come to expect an incredibly high standard from Matt, and now he's coming a little short of it. this doesn't mean the music is bad per se, but it is a letdown when you're accustomed to such excellent songs time after time. At least that's where I think the negative reviews are coming from.

I dunno, that's just pure speculation. Personally, I like Born Losers more than any song on Avalanche, and maybe WLRRR as well.

I feel like Matt's best music was pre-MGB, then it peaked again around AoB, and now it's rising again with Hospital Music.