HoboFactory

Mac Users

So I've gotten a Mac after 10 years on various MS Windows versions. However, one of things I have't quite figured out is opening RAR archives. I got this unrar thing, and all I get is some sort of command line crap that I don't know much of anything about snd can't seem to accomplish anything with. It seems like such a basic thing, but for some reason a pain to pull off. What ought I to do?

So I've gotten a Mac after 10 years on various MS Windows versions. However, one of things I have't quite figured out is opening RAR archives. I got this unrar thing, and all I get is some sort of command line crap that I don't know much of anything about snd can't seem to accomplish anything with. It seems like such a basic thing, but for some reason a pain to pull off. What ought I to do?

there's your answer garsk...RAR files, lol

If you're using Safari, I would recommend downloading Firefox. They are very similar browsers, but Firefox has some extra features that come in handy. In Firefox, when an image is too big for your viewing window, your cursor will become a zoom tool when resting on the image.

If you don't want to switch, an alternative option would be to download the image (or drag it out of the browser) and use preview to view your images.

There may be another solution for this, using Safari, that I'm not familiar with, but I switched to Firefox early on so I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

I think you just have bad luck Adam. Plus, you chose the inferior model when purchasing. My Macbook Pro is yet to have a single issue and I take it everywhere with me, using it all fucking day (and night for the most part). You can say they suck all you want, but hardware issues are a part of life, whether you're a Mac or Windows user; You get what you pay for.

I think you just have bad luck Adam. Plus, you chose the inferior model when purchasing. My Macbook Pro is yet to have a single issue and I take it everywhere with me, using it all fucking day (and night for the most part). You can say they suck all you want, but hardware issues are a part of life, whether you're a Mac or Windows user; You get what you pay for.

Really? So my ethernet port breaking and my screen cracking under dubious circumstances (which is not all that uncommon an occurrence) is just a fact of life?

I shouldn't have to buy the "superior model" for better "luck". The laptop cost $1400. By PC standards that's expensive. Good quality control is expected of any computer manufacturer at any price. Your argument that hardware i a "fact of life" with or without Mac is useless; apple is the exclusive manufacturer. If I had, say, a Sony laptop with Apple software on it, and the hardware fucked up, it would be Sony's fault. I have an Apple laptop with Apple software, and the hardware fucked up. My brother's considerably cheaper Toshiba laptop, while technically inferior, hasn't had these problems. My dad's IBM Toughbook for work, where they have a whole goddamned fleet of identical computers, has been just fine without any sorts of problems, and he hasn't heard of any screen problems from anyone else. These would be laptops being used all day, every day, being driven around and loaded in and out of vans and the like, more than my laptop had to deal with being walked around campus and taken on the train to and from Toronto a few times.

If I have bad luck with a lemon computer, Apple should fucking replace it, not charge be 2/3rds the price of the computer to replace its design flaw. I was told by a licensed Apple technician that there was a chance I could get it covered under warranty. Took it to an Apple store, showed them the computer, told them what I was told. The guy said to call the apple care hotline and try my luck. Called the apple care hotline, they said the technician at the apple store told me to call them because he judged it to be accidental damage. Bull fucking shit. I bought an Apple so that it would fucking work, like the god damned ads say, not so that I could get bogged down with hardware issues. And all the bad luck in the world won't explain that a computer is a combination of hardware and software, and the two are inextricably linked. If the hardware fails, the computer as a package fails.

Really? (blah blah blah) ... And all the bad luck in the world won't explain that a computer is a combination of hardware and software, and the two are inextricably linked. If the hardware fails, the computer as a package fails.

In saying that, you're pretty much implying that every computer is a failure, because non of them are perfect. Every computer lacks in some areas.

I'm not saying that Apple shouldn't have compensated you; clearly they should have. I wouldn't have given up if I were you. In fact, I was in a similar position last year with my old Powerbook because of, yes, hardware failure. It had been almost 6 months, but I didn't take no for an answer and I got what I asked for because of it; this MacBook Pro. Sometimes you have to push your way to the right person to get the service you deserve, and this is true for more than just Apple. Welcome to the modern world of business, where everyone is out for themselves and customer service is a forgotten practice.

All I'm saying is that there are always hardware problems with any kind of computer, regardless of the brand, because computers aren't made to last. Like cars, they're generally only made as good as they need to be for the standard user, because the manufacturer wants it's customers to purchase the next model.

Sure you're Apple was expensive compared to a pc, but that's because it's more aesthetically pleasing, provides a better OS with additional software, and is comparable in the hardware area. Just because you know a couple people with some tough laptops, doesn't mean that's the norm. I hear complaints about hardware from all around, but you are actually the first I hear, other than myself, to complain about the mac.

My conclusion: You're just bitter because you made some mistakes with your notebook and you didn't have the negotiating skills to suck Apple into replacing it.

In saying that, you're pretty much implying that every computer is a failure, because non of them are perfect. Every computer lacks in some areas.

I'm not saying that Apple shouldn't have compensated you; clearly they should have. I wouldn't have given up if I were you. In fact, I was in a similar position last year with my old Powerbook because of, yes, hardware failure. It had been almost 6 months, but I didn't take no for an answer and I got what I asked for because of it; this MacBook Pro. Sometimes you have to push your way to the right person to get the service you deserve, and this is true for more than just Apple. Welcome to the modern world of business, where everyone is out for themselves and customer service is a forgotten practice.

All I'm saying is that there are always hardware problems with any kind of computer, regardless of the brand, because computers aren't made to last. Like cars, they're generally only made as good as they need to be for the standard user, because the manufacturer wants it's customers to purchase the next model.

Sure you're Apple was expensive compared to a pc, but that's because it's more aesthetically pleasing, provides a better OS with additional software, and is comparable in the hardware area. Just because you know a couple people with some tough laptops, doesn't mean that's the norm. I hear complaints about hardware from all around, but you are actually the first I hear, other than myself, to complain about the mac.

My conclusion: You're just bitter because you made some mistakes with your notebook and you didn't have the negotiating skills to suck Apple into replacing it.

"Imperfect" is not the same as inherently and blatantly flawed. I have every fucking right to be bitter at this point. Your satisfaction with Apple came after six months of antagonizing AppleCare. That shouldn't be necessary. If I got sold a shitty laptop that isn't the norm I shouldn't have to go to such extraodinary measures to get a laptop that works the way it should.

I'll keep calling AppleCare and start swearing at those fucks if they feed me more bullshit lines. See if that works. Make an experiment out of it maybe. But even if I get this thing replaced or fixed on their dime, it's going to take a while to get there, and it'll probably take just as long for the thing to be sent out, fixed and returned.

ummm, yeah, that is opinion, not fact.

Sadly ecnarf, you more then likely bought a lemon. If you could find the parts that are broken, you could more then likely be able to fix it yourself.