Outtahere

Small Things You've Noticed

For ages, in Windows Media Player when Beautiful Midnight loaded up and got track info, the credits for "Load Me Up" composers would always say Christie Priske instead of Rich Priske.

The guy playing pedal steel guitar on Blue Skies and Hopeless on WLRRR is actually the guy who plays guitar with Neko Case, Paul Rigby.

The song Long Way Down started off from the drums on the (fantastic) Comfortable Criminals song but I think most people knew that.

I heard the song "Dusk" was just something that Matt did on the spot in the studio while sitting around mixing the newer In A Coma tracks

The first notable studio appearance of Stu on any album I can find is on the first solo album of the Crash Test Dummies singer.

Blake plays the drums on the first Edwin solo album with all those massive hits.

I don't think Matt has released a song with a 7/4 time signature at any point ever.

On the song House Of Smoke And Mirrors you hear Matt say at 3:26 "ah that was good" I think in response to a bass run but who knows.

The cool drum sound on the song Near Fantastica when they first come in  and do the cool abrupt tom hit fills can be re-created with heavy compression followed by a gate if anyone cares to try.

That's all I can think of.

Catching the ball on the rebound, the music for Near Fantastica was actually meant for a song called "Villain of the Year". Matt scrapped the lyrics to that song in favour of a reworked version of Near Fantastica which was posted in one of his manifestos on mgb.com. The original Near Fantastica was supposed to sound a bit like Every Name is my Name. Also, the so-called "Radio Edit" of Near Fantastica was originally the album version. The version on the record is actually a remix Matt made by tinkering and fiddling with it and preferred it to the shorter version.

Anton should rename this thread "Small Things You've Noticed and Trivia".

I love the sound that plays between Prime-time deliverance and The Inescapable Us.  I call it "can't replicate" and use it as a ring tone on my cell phone when I get a text message.

On strange days when Mat sings "It's evening, you're tired, you sleep walk a ro...."  For some reason I hear a sound while he's saying "robot" or a pop which makes me think of the old ICQ "Uh ohh" message.  Its there its hard to hear but there is a sound I swear.

I love the sound that plays between Prime-time deliverance and The Inescapable Us.  I call it "can't replicate" and use it as a ring tone on my cell phone when I get a text message.

On strange days when Mat sings "It's evening, you're tired, you sleep walk a ro...."  For some reason I hear a sound while he's saying "robot" or a pop which makes me think of the old ICQ "Uh ohh" message.  Its there its hard to hear but there is a sound I swear.

Yes there IS a pop!!! Thank god I'm not losing my mind, I thought I was the only one who heard that :) Agreed on the PTD to Inescapable Us transition, it's great. And then how Inescapable fades quietly until Geoff's awesome Indestructible bass lick kicks in....

During "21st Century Living," when they say all the different things to "super size," they go through the said list of things to super size pretty quickly until it gets to the female voice who wants to super size a sale. Then there is a slight pause, as if in disbelief, and they ask how would you super size a sale?

That part always cracks me up, but could be missed if you aren't paying attention.

"Most" of the easter eggs have been identified - Ever notice how Underdogs CD plays like Vinyl - All the song lead into one another // The US edition of Beautiful Midnight was an enhanced CD with PC and Mac features // "At the end of Giant, before Hello Time Bomb begins there's a quick beat of the phase noise used for the "do do do do do's" in HTB. There's also some finger picking going on before the song starts" When playing Giant completely and leaning into Hello Time Bomb the CD player would read -0:03 and count up. I never understood how the CD was coded and I have never seen another disc like it// Avalanche was an enhanced CD too and if you clicked at the top of the mountain a racoon would appear// I think Matt said you can hear him smoking cigarettes on the recording of BM, like in hailing and exhaling// Dude said he quit again good for him 

Edited by tonydanza84

I think Matt said you can hear him smoking cigarettes on the recording of BM, like in hailing and exhaling// Dude said he quit again good for him 

I saw a pack of cigarettes in his instagram post from 3 weeks ago.

I saw a pack of cigarettes in his instagram post from 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, it's like stupid hard to quit smoking. Especially if you want to be smoking. I love smoking. I had also quit. Since before Christmas. But then you have one here (July) and there (August) and then suddenly you've bought a pack again. I have a partially smoked pack sitting in my bag. I keep wanting to get rid of it but then I change my mind.

As gross as smoking is, it's also great.

Fucking smoking.

A little bit off topic does anyone know if this is true or not. During the recording of AOB Dave walked out on the session and guitar sections are actually missing from various songs. I guess Dave felt his work had been completed and Matt/ Warne had to mix the tracks accordingly with the missing parts. Does anyone know the song/ the sections of the songs that needed to be reworked?.. I guess this is an Easter egg.

Ok I’ll go again, not trying to spam or anything just trying to get my two cents in.

Anyone remember the site runningforhome.net it had detailed write up about each and every song. One day outta nowhere it was gone. 

Man of Action sounds like a train… plus when the voice comes over the intercom “you are now listening to the audio of being” 

Black Helicopter sound like a helicopter.

Boy and His Machine Gun happy birthday is played at the end and the music box was smashed against a wall to make that sound. 

Advertising on Police Cars at the start with intro of an organ in order to create that sound they began to play the instrument and plugged it in as it warmed up it created the intro. 

Anyone notice the auto tune on She's in It for The Money, love that song. 

Avalanche has a clip from a movie about a soccer. Approx. 2:35 in “ball loose, an impossible drift, a tackler rushes you” or "every pass it goes adrift, ball loose, can't tackle, can't shoot.". Anyone remember the title of the movie I can’t remember and I have never been able to find a copy. 

Apparitions from Rooms has clips from various TV shows, not sure what one “No no no I’m here for an important mission – the ship”

-Batter up!

I imagine any parts Dave decided not to play, Matt could record himself.

I respectfully disagree.  Dave Genn was/is a great lead guitar player.

Don't get me wrong, I think Matt is great, but I think as far as lead guitar goes.. (at that time), I would think Dave was Superior in that area since that's what he did for a living.  My opinion though.  Not trying to be rude here.

I respectfully disagree.  Dave Genn was/is a great lead guitar player.

Don't get me wrong, I think Matt is great, but I think as far as lead guitar goes.. (at that time), I would think Dave was Superior in that area since that's what he did for a living.  My opinion though.  Not trying to be rude here.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I do not find Matt to be a markedly technical guitar player when it comes to lead. I could be wrong, but I think he does an approximation or fill when he demos and then Stu or Jimmy or whomever he is playing with at the time comes in and adds a little bit more flavour to it. 

Matt is a fantastic rhythm guitar player and knows how to riff like the best of them, though!

Guest Idioteque

That all depends on how much input Dave even had when it came to the songs. Matt has said multiple times that he gave too much credit out for tracks, implying what & who is the question.

As a guitar player myself, and a huge MGB era fan: Dave's leads are sloppy messes & completely ruin some songs for me.

Playing with a bunch of pedals in Hello Time Bomb is racket.

Any live version of "Deep Six" the bending leads in the intro sounds like ass.

I could probably go on if I could even remember any more leads from him. That's just the thing, there's +100 MGB/MG riffs I can hum off by heart but maybe 2 leads by him & thats if im gargling water.

I love Dave as a musician, but the things he came up with in MGB were outdated even for the 90's.

I think it kind of proved who was the real technical workhorse when Matt released Avalanche, away with very repetitive power chords/ABC song structures & in with complex finger playing/writing style.

I'm not trying to hate but I never felt Matt gained a lead guitarist until the split.