daniel_v

MGB Live in Coquitlam (1998)- Full Video Concert

There is nothing out there that compares to this show.  With no official live video from the MGB days, it can't be overstated how awesome this is and how much work Daniel, Travis and Adam put into getting this out.  Great stuff.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sharon said:

That was a nice trip down memory lane. Thank you. That must be a picture of Leonard, the guy who ran the unofficial MGB website, Massage Board forum, and was in the Rico music video. I wonder what he’s been up to and if he still listens to Matthew Good Band’s music.

It is Leonard, yeah. It's funny you should ask what he has been up to. When Travis passed away last year I noted that it was interesting that, as a fan of MGB, he too was, for a time, heavily into creating music himself and that so many other people MGB/Matt's music has inspired also got into music themselves. As it turns out, Leonard was/is no exception to that either.

Apparently he is an audio engineer and is writing/recording music himself too

Here's a song on his Youtube channel from one of his albums.

4 hours ago, Chris85 said:

Here is the interview…

And thanks for sharing that Chris. I was going to do so myself but just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Travis felt he did a horrible job at the interview, but especially for a 17 year old who was doing his first interview, I thought he did a fine job. Even with regards to the concert itself me and Adam had to keep telling him to not to beat himself up. He was quite critical of certain aspects of it despite the overall quality, lol. 

And while I think a lot of people have already seen it, here is the segment he put together of the concert and the interview he did with Matt. It gives a little more back ground into the concert itself:

Some other random thoughts about the concert were that it's amazing not only how into the show the whole crowd was, but also just how laid back the entire band was too. At one point during EIA, a girl gets up on stage, starts dancing, shakes Dave's hand (to which Dave is quite polite and amenable), then actually grabs Matt's hand as he is trying to play guitar and then kisses him on the cheek. Through it all neither Matt or Dave miss a beat and Matt even chuckles/eventually comments (after the song is done) "What're ya gonna do?", lol. 

Another thing me, Adam and Travis were laughing about when we first watched this together was the psychology of those who throw their shows at concerts (which happened a lot at this one). I mean, what do people who throw their shoes do afterwards? I mean, do you go home barefoot? Hahaha. Really, who in their right mind throws a shoe? That is unless they've stolen someone else's 🤣 It's was interesting though because in later years Matt would take a hardline approach against people throwing things which was understandable given the dangers of throwing certain things and just the general disrespect involved in such an act. But, their laid back attitude in this show just made it all the more apparent how special everyone probably felt it was. 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sharon said:

That was a nice trip down memory lane. Thank you. That must be a picture of Leonard, the guy who ran the unofficial MGB website, Massage Board forum, and was in the Rico music video. I wonder what he’s been up to and if he still listens to Matthew Good Band’s music.

Yup thats Leonard. I've been in touch with him over the last year or so, really nice guy. At some points in the video you can see someone else filming in front of the stage and at one point Leonard has that guys camera recording. Travis was hoping Leonard might have that footage so he could cut in multiple angles as well as hoping it might include the full Alabama Motel Room but unfortunately he did not.  He was such a perfectionist that despite capturing an entire show with an elongated set in as good of quality as you could ever ask for, he was annoyed he allowed himself to run out of tape and miss the last three minutes. 

2 hours ago, daniel_v said:

It is Leonard, yeah. It's funny you should ask what he has been up to. When Travis passed away last year I noted that it was interesting that, as a fan of MGB, he too was, for a time, heavily into creating music himself and that so many other people MGB/Matt's music has inspired also got into music themselves. As it turns out, Leonard was/is no exception to that either.

Apparently he is an audio engineer and is writing/recording music himself too

Here's a song on his Youtube channel from one of his albums.

And thanks for sharing that Chris. I was going to do so myself but just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Travis felt he did a horrible job at the interview, but especially for a 17 year old who was doing his first interview, I thought he did a fine job. Even with regards to the concert itself me and Adam had to keep telling him to not to beat himself up. He was quite critical of certain aspects of it despite the overall quality, lol. 

And while I think a lot of people have already seen it, here is the segment he put together of the concert and the interview he did with Matt. It gives a little more back ground into the concert itself:

Some other random thoughts about the concert were that it's amazing not only how into the show the whole crowd was, but also just how laid back the entire band was too. At one point during EIA, a girl gets up on stage, starts dancing, shakes Dave's hand (to which Dave is quite polite and amenable), then actually grabs Matt's hand as he is trying to play guitar and then kisses him on the cheek. Through it all neither Matt or Dave miss a beat and Matt even chuckles/eventually comments (after the song is done) "What're ya gonna do?", lol. 

Another thing me, Adam and Travis were laughing about when we first watched this together was the psychology of those who throw their shows at concerts (which happened a lot at this one). I mean, what do people who throw their shoes do afterwards? I mean, do you go home barefoot? Hahaha. Really, who in their right mind throws a shoe? That is unless they've stolen someone else's 🤣 It's was interesting though because in later years Matt would take a hardline approach against people throwing things which was understandable given the dangers of throwing certain things and just the general disrespect involved in such an act. But, their laid back attitude in this show just made it all the more apparent how special everyone probably felt it was. 

Travis was such a perfectionist. He was embarrassed by certain things about this shows filming. Like for instance during Primetime he went to the bathroom and just let the camera film a stationary shot which he apologized to me and Daniel for.  Which is utterly hilarious because if he hadnt pointed it out I wouldnt have noticed or cared...its video footage of MGB doing Primetime Deliverance, the only known footage available of that, we were just stunned to see it and he thought we'd be let down by it! 

He was always tweaking it as well. He sent me a copy that I thought looked awesome, he then declated he could do better and went through an elongated deinterlacing process to try and enhance the picture that much more.  What he got out of these 20 year old tapes is stunning and in doing the work the original tapes actually completely disintegrated. He was fussy about the sound to, tweaking it to meet his standards.   Its actually a mix of two audio sources one the soundboard that he was pitched into but was  overdriven and the other the mic from his camera. Together he's made a pretty decent matrix sound.  He kept apologizing for that too, I tried to explain the other MGB live recordings we have from this era sound like they were recorded theough a tin can in the kitchen of the Commodore and that this sounded sooo much better than anything else we had, but he still wasnt fully happy with it.  

The work he did on this was extensive and a labour of love and Im so glad that Daniel has shared this for everyone to enjoy as Travis hoped would happen right up until his death.  He was literally messaging us about this in the middle of the night on the night he passed.  This video is a great tribute to who he was and what he was all about.  I'll never watch this and not think of him.  Im so glad the three of us got to get together for Travis to screen it, some great memories from that! 

As for the shoes. Haha it is a head scratcher, but I still stand behind my claim that the shoes were being lost in the moshpit and crowd surfing and then thrown by people who didnt own them.  Ive definitely been at concerts where all the sudden there are stray shoes under my feet. So im assuming people just picked them up and threw them.  With that being said there are a ton of thrown objects here, so maybe some people were throwing their own shoes and then presumably walking home barefoot.  I still dont understand the mentality of throwing any object. Assuming everyone there was enjoying the show, why would you want to throw an object at the band that could most likely cause the show to end? A part of me wishes some psychiatrist would go to a concert, find a shoe thrower and immediately interview them to record the thought process, because it defies me. 

Edited by adam_777
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow.  Thank you for sharing this.  This was a nostalgia shot right to my veins.  Made me forget about all the controversy swirling about now and just took me back to a simpler time.  

This was about the time I was REALLY getting into MGB.  Underdogs meant so much to me.  My first show was Edgefest '99 in Barrie, ONT and I bought the CD there where the case got all bashed up.  It was really hard to find Canadian artist CD's in the USA at that time so it was like a great score for me.  I still have it and that bashed up case meant so much to me for so long....not so much anymore though with Spotify and such.

What memories. Thank you.

Edited by crthiel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's quite the set list...speechless.  I turned it on just to check it out, ended up watching the whole concert.

This is the most legendary MG/MGB concert footage that's in existence.  The quality of the video is simply breathtaking, and Travis seemingly framed every shot to perfection.  A 17 year old kid first-timer doing this, what a legend. 

The audio is also incredible.  Lots of low-end on the drums and bass, you can hear Geoff's notes well.  The fact that this is such a special concert in Coquitlam just takes the cake.

Thank you so much for posting this.  You're doing some amazing work.  We need to start archiving this stuff as fans, get it off our hard drives etc make sure we have it forever.  A very special time in Canada's cultural history.

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the video and learning the details of how it all came to be just made it even more special. Thanks a ton, @daniel_v

I can't help but wonder if the audio from the original transfer could be shared, though that's probably asking too much. I feel very lucky as-is seeing Travis' work and something of this caliber from that era.

Edited by invasion1