Maverick

Best Of Mg

So, Matt made a brief allusion to an upcoming "best of" record?

This is from the In a Coma section of his blog.

Any thoughts pertaining to the following:

- good idea?

- what will be on it?

- would you buy it?

etc.

oh, you know i'll buy it...

good idea? maybe. they're a good way to get friends who never had a chance to love, open their eyes.

i find it cheesy a lot of the time, but it's okay i guess.

Know what pisses me off? when a band releases a greatist hits with 2 new songs, so you have to buy it... greedy assholes..

That said, i'd rather see and MG Greatst Hits with two new songs, before a GH with nothing new and no incentive to buy... even tho i'd buy it anyway

Edited by insober

it seems serious to me.... It will probably come with a DVD of the videos.. or new shit or bsides or something. either way IT WILL BE MINE!!!!

I've been waiting awhile to see Alabama Hotel Room. The ONLY FUCKING VIDEO i haven't seen, they should SWW on going coastal once. Splooge everywhere.

it seems serious to me.... It will probably come with a DVD of the videos.. or new shit or bsides or something. either way IT WILL BE MINE!!!!

I've been waiting awhile to see Alabama Hotel Room. The ONLY FUCKING VIDEO i haven't seen, they should SWW on going coastal once. Splooge everywhere.

i have that video..

This is what I think the best of Matt Good collection should be(If there actually will be one). It is a combination of what I like and what would likely have to be included(singles). It's modeled after the Pearl Jam greatest hits album (the rockers on disc one and the ballads on disc two):

Disc 1

1.Generation X-Wing

2.Deep Six

3.Everything Is Automatic

4.Giant

5.Hello Time Bomb

6.Load Me Up

7.The Future Is X-Rated

8.Carmelina

9.Under The Influence

10.Weapon

11.21st Century Living

12.Alert Status Red

13.In Love With A Bad Idea

Disc 2

1.Apparitions

2.Strange Days

3.Suburbia

4.Born To Kill

5.Advertising On Police Cars

6.The Rat Who Would Be King

7.In A World Called Catastrophe

8.Avalanche

9.While We Were Hunting Rabbits

10.We're So Heavy

11.Blue Skies Over Badlands

Edited by Devil On Rollerskates

What about doing it in the style of U2's Best Of collections, which come in two versions: one with the singles and hits, and the other which includes a bonus disc of b-sides, for the hardcore fans and whatnot. It would be great to have in CD quality some of the great tracks that up until this point have only been available as mp3s (fair quality at best) or streaming audio (rather crappy quality).

Didn't Matthew Good make reference to Universal planning to release "The Audio Of Being" B-Sides awhile back? But I think a "Matthew Good Band" best of would be better since, the "Matthew Good Band" is way different than Matthew Good, and also have broken up.

Audio of Being b-sides? Damn. I'm there. I remember when Taylor did an article about AOB on runningforhome.net before it came out, and he said that Pony Boy should definitely have been on the album. I've wanted to hear that song in particular ever since.

This is what I think the best of Matt Good collection should be(If there actually will be one). It is a combination of what I like and what would likely have to be included(singles). It's modeled after the Pearl Jam greatest hits album (the rockers on disc one and the ballads on disc two):

Disc 1

1.Generation X-Wing

2.Deep Six

3.Everything Is Automatic

4.Giant

5.Hello Time Bomb

6.Load Me Up

7.The Future Is X-Rated

8.Carmelina

9.Under The Influence

10.Weapon

11.21st Century Living

12.Alert Status Red

13.In Love With A Bad Idea

Disc 2

1.Apparitions

2.Strange Days

3.Suburbia

4.Born To Kill

5.Advertising On Police Cars

6.The Rat Who Would Be King

7.In A World Called Catastrophe

8.Avalanche

9.While We Were Hunting Rabbits

10.We're So Heavy

11.Blue Skies Over Badlands

With all due respect, 2 things: you're obviously not a fan of 'Ghetto' (which is okay); and, with all those songs, aren't you better off buying the actual albums instead??

I think the joke was that he was going to have to put some serious thought into giving it a witty title, not that there's going to be a best of. I'll be happy if there's something new or unheard on the CD, because i'm a compulsive buyer and if I've got all the other albums I'm going to need this one, so by throwing something new onthere, I'd feel like I wasn't wasting money.

i don't think it's up to him. he would have to consult the former members of mgb (which ain't happening) and then universal would have to agree to release it, which they might not want to do because if he owes them 2 more albums or something, then they might want 2 albums of new material as opposed to re-hashing old music.

i don't think it's up to him. he would have to consult the former members of mgb (which ain't happening) and then universal would have to agree to release it, which they might not want to do because if he owes them 2 more albums or something, then they might want 2 albums of new material as opposed to re-hashing old music.

So it can site on the shelves of CD stores, like it did with "White Light Rock and Roll Review" did? Universal would probably rather do a "Matthew Good Band" best of now, while there are still enough fans of the band around to make some money off of it, as opposed to waiting around and not making money off of the best of. It costs money to make a new album, the songs have to be recorded, and that's not neccessarily always cheap. Generally, record companies seem more interested in making money on their bands...

Edited by Matt

maybe the key is for him to not make another wlrrr.. i'm sure they'd rather have another avalanche than a greatest hits.. mgb is so over.. i don't think there would be any new fans buying a greatest hits.. it would be bought by the same fans that would buy any new matt good album

Edited by saturnine

To me it sounded like the record company wants to put out a best of but Matt could really care either way. At least that's the impression I got from the post.

Although I think that interest in the band and Matt Good has sort of faded from the mainstream, which is the exact people they target with best of's. He still has a huge fan base, but most of the fans already own all the albums.

That being said, I'd probably still buy a best of.