HoboFactory

Flag Burning

I believe it's also illegal to wear the american flag as an article of clothing. Though I don't see how that's really possible except as like...a cape, or maybe a turban.

I wonder if there are laws against coiling up a wet flag and whipping people with it?

Being a Canadian I would be insulted if someone from another country burned/vandalized our flag but if its another Canadian then I say go for it. Just as I would not disrespect another country's flag but if I felt the urge I would burn my own in protest or something....Am I the only person who thinks like that?

I can't say that I agree with flag burning being ok. I think that burning a large piece of cloth dyed in ink to make it visually attractive is one thing, but a flag is more than just that.

Even if you don't agree with the cause, understand that good, honest people no different than you have gritted their teeth and layed down their lives for what that flag represents (the key word here). That means someone just liek you died at a very young age serving you. People have been singled out and murdered for being from that country, a country represented by that image. When I see Maple Leaf I have the luxury of thinking "thats me", as is with the stars and stripes. If you think a flag is unimportant, read up on the Iraqi flag debacle, and you'll see just how important and nuianced a flag can be. When I hear O Canada, i think people should shut the fuck up becasue that song is representative of the things that make this such a a great place to live.

If you want to burn a flag, understand that to people like me, you're commiting as barbarous and disrespectful an act of vandalism as I could can think of, and thinking otherwise is an easy window into seeing what calibre of a person you may be.

I agree with the comment saying burning a flag as being an empty statement. Blow up a business. Don't waste your time buying then burning your own stuff.

As well, those who said they'd be insulted if someone from outside the country did it. Why? What if your country's government did horrible things? Wouldn't you more so agree with their anger?

Right.

Anyway, Canada, like any other country, has it's share of atrocities. So protest shouldn't be surprising, nor flag burning I guess.

QUESTION: I want to ask you to go back to the United Nations for a moment, though, because -- and if I may bring up the Canadian arguments again -- because Canada has long been a supporter, in fact, of the UN, of international law, in every instance I can think of except this one. The argument our foreign minister and our Prime Minister give now, and in fact all of Parliament, is that: Yes, but the UN is now a helpless organization -- it could do nothing to prevent slaughters and massacres -- therefore we had to do something; and there is the UN Human Rights Declaration that gave them authorization.

CHOMSKY: The UN Human Rights Declaration gives no authorization. It is perfectly true that there is a tension between the UN charter, which bars the use of a threat or the use of force, and the Universal Declaration, which guarantees -- theoretically -- the rights of people against oppressive states. But Canada doesn't care at all about the latter; Canada has a horrible record in that respect. For example, take Suharto's Indonesia, which is a brutal, murderous state. I think Canada was supporting it all the way through because it was making money out of the situation. And we can go around the world. Canada strongly supported the US invasion of South Vietnam, of the whole of Indochina. In fact Canada became the per capita largest war exporter, trying to make as much money as it could from the murder of people in Indochina. In fact, I'd suggest that you look back at the comment by a well known and respected Canadian diplomat, I think his name was John Hughes, some years ago, who defined what he called the Canadian idea, namely "we uphold our principles but we find a way around them". Well, that's pretty accurate. And Canada is not unique in this respect, maybe a little more hypocritical.

In the case of the US flag (and many others I'm sure), to some it represents heroism, history, tradition, etc. To others it represents death, oppression, despair. If ya love the flag, than by all means publically display it with pride, if you despise it, I don't see what the problem would be with publically destroying it.

I'd burn a Canadian flag if I had a cause to protest, because as a Canadian citizen it's mine to do with as I please. It's a form of protest, which should guarantee protection under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as freedom of speech. Similarily, I wouldn't burn an American flag, because I'm not an American and I have no right to burn it.

Burn a virtual flag!

No, you can't throw those little flags away.  The only "respectable" way to dispose of a worn or soiled flag is to give it a ceremonial and dignified retirement, preferably by burning it.  Ironically, the American Legion and Boy Scouts burn thousands of flags every year in respectful retirement ceremonies.  The only difference between their actions, and the actions of a long-haired hippie protestor are the thoughts in the minds of the two.  Do you want to live in a country that arrests people for "anti-American thoughts?"  I sure don't.

i really dont care

its just a fucking flag

i dont feel some crazy overwhelming sense of pride when i see one, and i dont think it would really affect our world any if we didnt have it.. its just some cloth with some stupid stars and stripes on it