guitarchick

Blood Transfusion?

I saw something on the news about some 14 yearold lady who had bone cancer. Apparently she is in need of or will need a blood transfusion eventually.

But she is trying to fight the system so she will be able to reject a blood transfusion.

Because of her religion which is Jehovah, states that she should.

Anyone know anything else about it?

The Jehovah's have always hated blood transfusions, a friend of mine goes out with a Jehovah but I've never met him (useless fact).

I'm not too sure on why they do but I think it's because they feel it's more of an organ transplant and they really don't like those.

Reference:

oldcardA.gif

it says in the bible that we're not supposed to eat blood and jehova witnesses just see this as the same thing. because she is underage, the issue is whether or not she is able to make the decision herself. i say let her parents decide and what they say goes. i know that may compromise her beliefs, but i've know a lot of people who have gotten into one relgion or another then stopped being into it for whatever reason.

Reference:

oldcardA.gif

does this mean all jehovah's are veggies?

I know a Jehova. We call her Cat-Ripper. Long, terrible, funny story.

And as was said before, it's cuz she's the big 1-4. otherwise she'd have a say in her medical matters. This is actually rather old news. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

it says in the bible that we're not supposed to eat blood and jehova witnesses just see this as the same thing. because she is underage, the issue is whether or not she is able to make the decision herself. i say let her parents decide and what they say goes. i know that may compromise her beliefs, but i've know a lot of people who have gotten into one relgion or another then stopped being into it for whatever reason.

Huh?

Her parents are the ones that introduced her into the religion, why should they get to decide?

And if its possible (like you admitted) that she's not really into the whole Jehovah's thing, why should her parents get to decide?

I know that in Spain, the State "obliges" doctors to give a blood transfusion no matter what your religious beliefs are: live is over any belief (according to the law) and the doctors have the right to decide whether someone needs a blood transfussion to keep on living. This law is based on the idea that doctors are to save lifes, not to rule themselves according to any religious beliefs

how is this issue in other countries, in Canada, for example?

I believe in the case you are talking about the mother is a Jehovah witnesses, and the father is not. There is an internal family dispute as to whether she should receive a transfusion. Further, since she is a minor, the doctor is obligated to make decision in her best interest. A debate exists as to whether without explicit request from both parents the procedure can be blocked.

I respect all religions, but this is a weird case. If I am correct, the father claims that the girl is 'brain washed' and that the Jehovah community is preventing him from talking to his daughter. If I understand it they are telling the girl that if she takes a blood transfusion to save her life, she will go to hell.

I'm not sure that this is all information from the same case though... I'm might be a little confused.

Peace

it's like fire sort of. it has the potential to cause harm to you, so you avoid doing what may harm you. i hope that makes sense..

and her parents should decide because they are in charge of her since she is a minor. but i think we should be like spain and do what has to be done. yeah, i changed my opinion. but i mean we should change our whole system..

Last time I checked, parents don't have the right to deny you adequate medical treatment.

I read a story the other day about a 13 year old girl who became pregnant with an 18 year old boyfriend, and her parents forced them to marry - her parents are in charge of her, should that wedding stand? The state she was married in nullified the marriage.

I think this girl should get the blood transfusion - whatever her religious beliefs, she was born into them, and I don't feel that at 14 you have the maturity to question your faith and arrive at whatever it is you truly believe. I've been considered "incredibly mature for my age" when I was 14, and I still believed in what I was born in to.

What if this girl were, say, 6, and her parents refused to let her have traditional western cancer treatment? I guarantee there would be a media uproar about it.

Meh, let her die.

She knows, or at least 'knows' what she wants. She knows the risks of not taking the blood transfusion. I think we put too much emphasis on both the choices others make, and on the value of human life.

Don't get me wrong, living can be pretty sweet, but you don't sign a contract with 'god' guaranteeing your 76.4 years. Some people die before others, that's just life.

Or lack thereof, i suppose.

Edited by the artist formerly known as insober