The new war museum has opened in Ottawa and there has been a fair bit of controversy over it. The main reason is the inclusion of some of Canada's lesser moments (the torture of prisoners in Somalia comes to mind). Do you think this is appropriate?

If you're embarrassed of your past, you have progressed. Progression is (generally, and definitely in this case) good.

Heroes are good, truth is better.

If you're embarrassed of your past, you have progressed. Progression is (generally, and definitely in this case) good.

really liked the way you explained it... and I like that sentence "hereos are good, truth is better"

really liked the way you explained it... and I like that sentence "hereos are good, truth is better"

Thank you very much ;)

i was planning to go check it out today, but im pretty damned sick. im really eager to go, and everytime i plan so; shit happens.

I found the older one to be extremely fascinating, i can only imagine what this one can bring. I know i can read about articles of what people have seen, and what it can offer. but id rather go in and be blown away. no pun intended.

That's the thing...you don't want to universally vilify your own soldiers for their part in war, either. You also don't want to glorify whatever atrocities may have been comitted...as someone said, it's a fine line.

it's a museum.. it doesn't have to be one-sided. i wonder if german museums acknowledge the holocaust

They do, and Germany as a whole accepts responsibility for the Holocaust. In fact, just recently, Germany gave something like 9 million euros for home care for survivors of the holocaust.

I'd like to see the U.S. do the same thing for victims of hiroshima and nagasaki.

and the people of South American -including the ones you mention- and the people of Iraq, and the people in Africa...

at least Germans acknowledge the mistake of having someone like Hitler in their country, and as ecnarf says "Germany as a whole accepts responsibility for the Holocaust" (his words)

my brother and i went to the new war museum this past setember, and well, we werent really impressed. My basic idea of the place, was that they took all the old stuff out of the old museum on sussex dr. and put in a new building. it was pretty much the same thing. my brother on the other hand, have been in france for the past year working at the juno beach center for WWII and Vimy Ridge for WWI, didnt like it either, he found that a lot of the information jumped around a lot, and would go into great detail about usless stuff. Also he found historical problems with some the vimy ridge and juno beach landing. as for the stuff about rwanda and somalia... well there were two painting of it. and that was pretty much it. never went into detail about the operations, just two paintings.

somethings that would great of the museum would be more history after 1945 ie korea, there are a lot of good stories about canadian's doing great things over there. more about the Newfoundlanders during WWI sure they were there own country, but still, they are a part of us now, and supplying a lot of our troops now. also more about the dangers of PeaceKeeping, ie how canadian troops fought the largest battle in canadain history in the former Yugoslavia in the early 90's only to have the federal government keep it secret from the public for 10 years.