HoboFactory

Most Over-rated Movies

The thread on the 10 favorite films seems to have alotta movies on it that are extremely over-rated. Films for which the reputation is greater than the film itself. Very often I hear of movies which will supposedly be the most amazing, interesting, funny, etc films I am to see. It's always a pain in the ass when you watch a movie and then conclude that movie doesn't come close to living up to the expectations.

Movies that can be described in this way:

Lost In Translation:

I was told it was funny but also a drama. Oddly enough, I didn't find any part of it at all funny, and unlike most dramas, it really didn't have much of a story. While some might call the idea 100 minutes of small talk between a washed-up actor and a bored blonde original, it's pretty damn boring.

Napoleon Dynamite:

Just not funny.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou:

Has its moments, but generally dull.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

At least they tried, but still came out dumb.

yeah,

only a few parts of napoleon i actually enjoyed

and i think Die Another Day was too much hype too

i DO love Pierce Brosnan as James Bond though, and i'm quite the Bond fan, and if it wasn't for the Aston Martin and Rosamund Pike, i probably wouldn't have tolerated the lame story (as far as bond movies go)

the Lord of the Rings trilogy, easily one of the most over-rated in recent years. These movies deserved the hype regarding their special effects, but that's all. The movie was what, nine or ten hours, and it still had the worst character development I've ever seen. I was bored to tears.

napoleon dynamite was an awsome movie. "funny" is completely subjective.it had a lot of random jokes.that's the point. it was a creative change of pace from the usual slapstick format ( i.e. jim carey, will farrell, rob shnyder )."a joke is just another word for surprising people"- paraphrasing george carlin. I can't speak for anyone else, but that movie format doesn't surprise me anymore, which makes them boring. Napoleon came out at a time when people were just bored with the normal "funny" movies, that's why it was successful. Napolean buying the D-qwon's dance grooves tape is a little more funny than, "oh will farrell is yelling again".

Edited by heyrabbit

I disagree with all your choices with the exclusion of Life Aquatic.

Like heyrabbit said, the reason so many people like Napoleon Dynamite is because its unconventional of the times. We're still in a very slapstick comedy era and so for a complete character comedy to be released and to be successful is quite a feat.

But i too, am sick of the people that quote the movie every other sentence.

And i feel bad for Jon Heder who it seems will be doomed to Paul Reubens fame, no-one ever knowing who he really is but when someone says "Yeah Napoleon Dynamite/Pee Wee Herman" their face will light up with recognition

lost in translation:

plain old boring.

napolean dynamite:

really boring. waste of $5 renting it. and like above, if i have to hear anymore quotes from it, i swear, there will be no more of the quoter.

life aquatic:

found it really boring and left the room

eternal:

i loved this movie. ithought it was awesome

the Lord of the Rings trilogy, easily one of the most over-rated in recent years. These movies deserved the hype regarding their special effects, but that's all. The movie was what, nine or ten hours, and it still had the worst character development I've ever seen. I was bored to tears.

napoleon dynamite was an awsome movie. "funny" is completely subjective.it had a lot of random jokes.that's the point. it was a creative change of pace from the usual slapstick format ( i.e. jim carey, will farrell, rob shnyder )."a joke is just another word for surprising people"- paraphrasing george carlin. I can't speak for anyone else, but that movie format doesn't surprise me anymore, which makes them boring. Napoleon came out at a time when people were just bored with the normal "funny" movies, that's why it was successful. Napolean buying the D-qwon's dance grooves tape is a little more funny than, "oh will farrell is yelling again".

Well I suppose it is a change of pace from a typical comedy because it lacks pace altogether. It goes practically nowhere. All its 'randomness' was fairly ordinary; dangling an action figure from a schoolbus with string isn't exactly the hight of hilarity or particularly off the wall. Although I can't stand the Jim Carrey, Will Farrell, or Rob Schneider comedies either, those guys all blow. When I think of a good comedy, it would be something like Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

lord of the rings... oh god i'd watch it again, but i have an appointment next month so i don't think i could watch it the whole way through.

eternal sunshine wasn't bad, but i think i was expecting more.

napoleon dynamite was awesome when i first saw it. then it got popular and everyone started quoting it. god i hate it when people quote that movie.

and titanic was so overrated at the box office. i don't know why everyone went to see that movie.