HoboFactory

Most Over-rated Movies

I agree with everything excpet Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I enjoyed.

Yeah i thought that was a fantastic movie. The rest of those i did not like, though.

Kill Bill is also overrated, as someone said.

All Will Ferrell movies; I don't find him very funny.

I imagine that you mean the Al Pacino one and not the original?

Yes the al Pacino one. Although I havn't seen the original yet so who knows

100% agreed.

All Will Ferrell movies; I don't find him very funny.

Also agreed, that guy fails to amuse on every occasion.

All I have to say is:

THE MATRIX.

The original one wasn't bad, the concept was great and visually it looked good (I can overlook the fact that it had Keanu... for now)

BUT

As for the two abominations that followed:

What do random 'resistance rave parties' and sex scenes with... uggggg... his bare ass have to do with anything? I'm traumatized for life! Another decent movie ruined by throwing in needless explosions, sex, and a bunch of sappy acting that completely covers up the orinal idea of the film! Whatever happened to plot??

Napoleon Dynamite:

Just not funny.

Definitely overrated. I don't think it's entirely lacking in the humour department, but it certainly isn't as funny as everybody else lets on.

Oh yes, and the LOTR trilogy -- the most overhyped movies ever, in my opinion. First was boring and too damn long. I fell asleep during the second (at 3pm in the afternoon) and never saw the third. It just wasn't worth my time.

Edited by Russell

American Beauty

I'm sorry...but wha????

I just didn't think it was as funny/awesome as everyone else did.

Oh man you're crazy. I could see someone not finding it funny though. It's not necessarily laugh out loud comedic. But its certainly well made.

"the Lord of the Rings trilogy, easily one of the most over-rated in recent years. These movies deserved the hype regarding their special effects, but that's all. The movie was what, nine or ten hours, and it still had the worst character development I've ever seen. I was bored to tears."

DO you even know what character development is? clearly not.

"the Lord of the Rings trilogy, easily one of the most over-rated in recent years. These movies deserved the hype regarding their special effects, but that's all. The movie was what, nine or ten hours, and it still had the worst character development I've ever seen. I was bored to tears."

DO you even know what character development is? clearly not.

Clearly yes. His complaint wasn't a lack of character development but the quality of character development (which he believes is poor). I absolutely agree with him, but I'd say the same even if I didn't.

I will back you 110% on Napoleon Dynamite and Lost In Translation. Eternal Sunshine, though, i really enjoyed. Maybe it was due to the frame of mind I was in. I've always wanted to go back and watch it for a second time but i'm afraid I might not dig it as much.

To add to the list I'll say Moulin Rouge, i HATE this movie!

The thread on the 10 favorite films seems to have alotta movies on it that are extremely over-rated. Films for which the reputation is greater than the film itself. Very often I hear of movies which will supposedly be the most amazing, interesting, funny, etc films I am to see. It's always a pain in the ass when you watch a movie and then conclude that movie doesn't come close to living up to the expectations.

Movies that can be described in this way:

Lost In Translation:

I was told it was funny but also a drama. Oddly enough, I didn't find any part of it at all funny, and unlike most dramas, it really didn't have much of a story. While some might call the idea 100 minutes of small talk between a washed-up actor and a bored blonde original, it's pretty damn boring.

Napoleon Dynamite:

Just not funny.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou:

Has its moments, but generally dull.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

At least they tried, but still came out dumb.

Dude, you are dead right!