el tripoli

Audio Of Being

beautiful midnight is great as a cohesive album. i can't really listen to just one or two songs, as it just works better played as a whole. that its tracks are labelled 5pm through "sun up" probably has a lot to do with it. it's been with me through many academically-induced all-nighters.

audio of being, on the other hand, has a lot of songs that stand out, but it's all over the place in style and content.

does anyone else feel like it's a better transition from beautiful midnight to avalanche, and from AoB to white light rock & roll review? AoB and WLRRR are more chaotic and all-over than beautiful midnight and avalanche are.

beautiful midnight is great as a cohesive album. i can't really listen to just one or two songs, as it just works better played as a whole. that its tracks are labelled 5pm through "sun up" probably has a lot to do with it....

audio of being, on the other hand, has a lot of songs that stand out, but it's all over the place in style and content.

I agree with what you say here, and i think that is what makes both albums work so well. Beautiful Midnight contains an excellent flow from beginning to end and thats brilliant if you're in that kind of mood. But for a more varied, random but altogether exciting mix of songs then AoB is probably better

i dont' know how avalanche can even be ranked near those two albums. I think 2001 was the best year for mgb with loser anthems and Aob, definitely their two best releases.. everything works perfectly on both of those albums.. BM is really cool but there are still songs on it that shouldn't have been there. White Light is up there for me too... if AOB isnt the best it's gotta be that one for me.

That said, Beautiful Midnight has some of the best songs i've ever heard.. boy and his machine gun just takes it down a notch for me.

Really? I'm a big fan of Machine Gun. I think the weakest song on that album is either Strange Days or Load Me Up, in terms of what I most often skip. Going All the Way and Let's Get It On are close contenders too. But every other song is brilliant.

Beautiful Midnight had a much more commercial feel/sound to it (not ripping on the album 'cos I hearts it) and Audio of Being was like a theme album that felt incomplete/shattered (not ripping on the album 'cos I hearts it).

Yeah, never really understood that either. I think most of his best work is among those early demos. Euphony, 15 Hours, Left of Normal...

If you combined those 3 albums, you'd have the best record of all time.

Edit: Broken is OK too, but there's too much shit on it. Maybe if you just took Folk Singer, Birds Don't Fly Straight etc.

Edited by Prometheon

I tend to agree that AOB is better than Beautiful Midnight. AOB has some of my most favorite songs on it.

Truffle Pigs, Tripoli, Advertising...

Though Beatuiful Midnight closes like a good album should. Born to Kill and Running...is by far the best closing on a cd that I have.

EDIT: Spelled Tripoli wrong the 1st time.

Edited by Audio of Being

beautiful midnight is always gonna have a special place with me. it was the album that was out during the time i first heard them. otherwise i might be more inclined to say audio of being.

Yeah, that's sort of how I feel (just the reverse; you'll see).

I had heard some MGB stuff (mostly just singles) a few years before really getting into the band and the music - really, how could someone in a Canadian high school in the 90's (especially in BC) not have heard songs like Automatic, Apparitions, Time Bomb and Load Me Up?

However, it wasn't until Audio of Being that I really got interested. My best friend lent me his copy of the disc and that was just it for me - I charged down to record store and bought a copy of everything I could find (which was all the major label stuff released up to that point, save Lo-Fi B-Sides, of course). Unfortunately, the band is no more right at the point that it became my favourite! But look at what's come since then: two excellent solo albums, four (?) amazing tours and plenty of new songs, plus a new record on its way next year. Matt never lies down for too long without picking himself up and bouncing back, even now.

Back O-T, without discounting Beautiful Midnight, Audio of Being is still "it" for me because it really introduced me to Matt's incredible songwriting ability and an impressive vocal range (Rat Who Would Be King and Man of Action, for example). When it comes to 'the band' proper, AoB will always be my favourite. However, I'm confident that he can surpass it on his own and I sure can't wait!

The Audio Of Being is my favorite album of all time, and BM takes a close second. Matt has said that he felt the band had gone as far as it could creatively by that point. I am happy that they went out on the top of their game. It gives me chills thinking about what the band may still have had left in them though, regardless of what Matt says. I hope that on Matt's new upcoming album there is more music similar to that found on AOB.

Hmm I dunno I really liked the following from AoB...

Tripoli

Advertising On Police Cars

I, The Throw Away

Truffle Pigs

The Rat Who Would Be King

All Together (where this B-side is, i have no clue but i <3 it)

But I also really liked the following from BM...

Giant

Strange Days

Suburbia

Born to Kill

Running for home

Overall I guess I would have to pick AoB because I consider all of those songs to be some of my fave (especially the acoustic versions) and I don't tend to get sick of listening to them.