Shortcut To Moncton

Pony Boy Should Have Been The First Single.

So I was listening to Pony Boy today and I thought to myself, why the hell wasn't this the lead single for the Audio Of Being. It's hard for me to decide which song I enjoy more (Pony Boy or Carmelina) but Pony Boy is a FAR more melodic song. It has some of the catchiest and easy-to-sing along lyrics in Matthew Good's whole discography.

Sure, Pony Boy wouldn't have been a hit single but it would have easily been more popular than Carmelina (which was probably too heavy for the casual fans who really digged Hello Time Bomb/Load Me Up). Lyrically, I don't think people could have "related" to Carmelina and the video was so in left field that I'm surprised it even got the seldom rotation that it received.

Overall, Carmelina should be replaced by Pony Boy as track 2 on the Audio Of Being. What about All Together? I don't know, this isn't a part of the discussion!

Well Pony Boy was on IAC, and you got All Together as well if you got it on iTunes.

People have been bugging him to do an 'official' history teacher style release, but he says he doesn't want to because he hates the old demos.

Hm... is All Together in the NF store? I don't think I've heard it.

Anyway, I would love it if Matt put out an album of b-sides. What is considered an "old demo" ? Left of Normal, Broken and Euphony?

P.S. I like Comfortable Criminals better than Long Way Down.

Edited by soundless_space

They're b-sides from the Audio of Being era. Pony Boy is on In A Coma though. And you can just ask most of the NFers to send you All Together.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand... I personally love Carmelina. I'm not all that fond of Pony Boy to be honest. And as for Anti-Pop, the song may suck, but at least the video is worth a laugh or two.

Pony Boy should've replaced Anti-Pop. Carmelina is a good song and not a bad single. Anti-Pop should never have been on AOB because it sucks shit.

agreed....

anti pop is definatley in my top 2 hated songs. along with fated.

Sure, Pony Boy wouldn't have been a hit single but it would have easily been more popular than Carmelina (which was probably too heavy for the casual fans who really digged Hello Time Bomb/Load Me Up). Lyrically, I don't think people could have "related" to Carmelina and the video was so in left field that I'm surprised it even got the seldom rotation that it received.

Overall, Carmelina should be replaced by Pony Boy as track 2 on the Audio Of Being. What about All Together? I don't know, this isn't a part of the discussion!

I think part of the reason why Carmelina had the amount of success it did was because of how far out the video was. It definitly got me hooked on the song and on MGB (AoB was the first MGB album I bought).

I also think that Carmelina fits the mood of AoB far better than Pony Boy. AoB is a record whose songs more often than not lean towards extremes, extremely tender (Advertising on Police Cars, Sort of a Protest Song) to extremely hard and rough (Carmelina, Fall of Man), with a bit of middle ground (Workers Sing A Song of Mass Production, Under the Influence). Pony Boy isn't as hard or dark (musically) as Carmelina, and thus wouldn't fit the mood of the album.

Carmelina also provides a fine contrast to Tripoli. It's hard, heavy, pounding, and screeching; and Tripoli is soft, mournful, and just beautiful. Pony Boy wouldn't provide this contrast and would diminish the feel of the record, as it moves from one extreme to the other suddenly.

i must admit, i'm really surprised with all the carmelina bashing.. i think it was arguably the best single mgb ever released (along with apparitions and load me up). Ponyboy probably didn't make the album because it's so repetative and in my opinion the AOB did perfectly fine without it... i mean im glad i've heard the song but i don't miss it when i listen to the AOB.

I think part of the reason why Carmelina had the amount of success it did was because of how far out the video was. It definitly got me hooked on the song and on MGB (AoB was the first MGB album I bought).

I also think that Carmelina fits the mood of AoB far better than Pony Boy. AoB is a record whose songs more often than not lean towards extremes, extremely tender (Advertising on Police Cars, Sort of a Protest Song) to extremely hard and rough (Carmelina, Fall of Man), with a bit of middle ground (Workers Sing A Song of Mass Production, Under the Influence). Pony Boy isn't as hard or dark (musically) as Carmelina, and thus wouldn't fit the mood of the album.

Carmelina also provides a fine contrast to Tripoli. It's hard, heavy, pounding, and screeching; and Tripoli is soft, mournful, and just beautiful. Pony Boy wouldn't provide this contrast and would diminish the feel of the record, as it moves from one extreme to the other suddenly.

You don't think Anti-Pop changes the mood of the cd?

Also, to add something for everyone else. I never said that Pony Boy is the "better" song so I really don't see any Carmelina hating here. I just think that Pony Boy has "accessible radio single" written all over it while Carmelina definitely did not.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Also, to add something for everyone else. I never said that Pony Boy is the "better" song so I really don't see any Carmelina hating here. I just think that Pony Boy has "accessible radio single" written all over it while Carmelina definitely did not.

I agree. The first time I heard Carmelina, my ears were still tuned to Linkin Park and Sum 41, so I wasn't really into it at all at first. It was the video that got me exploring.

You don't think Anti-Pop changes the mood of the cd?

Anti-Pop is an incredibly cynical song, lyrically, so with its music I find it to be an ironic choice and one that doesn't interupt the album like I think Pony Boy would. So, I don't think it changes the mood of the album. Anti-Pop is just as cynical and dark and bitter as any of the other songs. Musically, it's a change of pace, but when you combine it with the lyrics and the kids chanting "Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!" at the end, I don't think it really detracts from the album.

Besides, what comes right after? The Workers Sing A Song of Mass Production and Sort of a Protest Song, to finish the record off. If anything, Sort of a Protest Song is the one to change the mood of the CD. It's far more optimistic and hopeful than any of the other songs, and makes an excellent closing song.

Edit: and like I said, think about where Carmelina is, and the contrast between it and Tripoli. If Pony Boy had to be on the album, I would put it where Anti-Pop is, but I think that would just detract from the whole thing.

Edited by no yu begin wher i end