uglyredhonda

2010 Us Tour

Here are the two clips I got from Iota last night. Unfortunately I didn't get the camera out quick enough to get all of Great Whales, but it was still worth it to capture the trance like state Matt goes into during the closing jam.

"Great Whales of the Sea" (Closing instrumental section)

"The Future is X-Rated"

EDIT: Tried to embed, but no dice.

Edited by Crusader
just put the url in a [youtube] tag.

just got back from the show in Philly... it was incredible!

Here's the set list I can remember (in no particular order)

The Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales of the Sea

Born Losers

Odette

Champions of Nothing ( Encore)

Weapon

It's Been Awhile Since I Was Your Man

Last Parade

Apparitions

Giant (Encore)

....I think there was one more I can't remember.

I arrived in Philadelphia around 5:45; traffic was pretty terrible on I-95...just like usual. I went inside, sat down and had dinner.

The merchandise wasn't too great. I wanted to buy a T-shirt but was told they only have Small and Medium. I'm hoping they were just sold out of the others. Who sells only small and mediums. (I looked at the medium-sized shirt and it looked like it was for a teenage girl). So I was let down on that. (If anyone is thinking of getting one they are $20. The CDs are $15.)

The opening band was alright; I thought every song sounded the same. The lead singer did have a great voice though; I have to give her that.

Matt came on around 8:45 and played the following and in this order:

Great Whales of the Sea

Load Me Up

Last Parade

Born Losers

Odette

Apparitions

Weapon

_________

Giant

Champions of Nothing

The show was very good and high energy. Matt seemed to be tired although I do think he gave it his all. There was a quite a bit of crowd banter. A gentleman in the crowd bought the band all shots and brought them on stage. This turned into tales about various members/agents getting roofied.

After the show I was able to ask one of the sound people for the setlist on the stage. After exiting the venue I waited by the tour bus. The drummer and bass player came out and were some of the nicest musicians I've met. They're just very down-to-earth people. They signed my setlist and Vancouver CD. A lady from the bus told us that Matt will sign autographs but will not be taking pictures. We were to "form a line" but there was honestly about 1 other person besides me outside. When I went inside the tour bus Matt signed my setlist and the In A Coma CD cover I brought with me. (I have to admit, he wasn't very personable; but in all fairness I don't think he was feeling well...or he was tired). Handshakes were a no-no; I guess he's afraid of getting sick. I thanked him for finally touring the U.S. with a full band to which he didn't say much. At this point I felt I was probably being a bother and just told him to have a good rest of the tour and left.

Overall, it was a very good show. I wish he would have played a little longer. For as little as he gets to tour with a full band in the U.S. I still say that he could at least play for an hour and a half. But since I knew going into this it would be a short show I don't feel too ripped off.

Now I have buy a frame and find a nice place on my wall for my setlist...

just got back from the show in Philly... it was incredible!

Here's the set list I can remember (in no particular order)

Great Whales of the Sea

Born Losers

Odette

Champions of Nothing ( Encore)

Weapon

Last Parade

Apparitions

Giant (Encore)

....I think there was one more I can't remember.

you would be correct sir he also played load me up.

boy

great whales

load me up / intro to love will tear us apart(kinda lame)

born losers

been a while

disco time(just played disco while the disco ball spun)

apparitions

last parade

odette

weapon

giant

champs

they didn't say squat until the 3rd song..then got the giggles. Someone bought them drinks : )(not me ) they chatted a bit after one more song but that was about it..they were imo really tight and kill weapon/giant/ champions.

Have they been playing champions kinda slow/acoustic/ and then still kinda slow when everyone kicks in.

I was glad I went, they were awesome..but for $28 bucks + like 20+ for a round of drinks I probably would skip it next time sadly. It was a bit high. Considering other venues state side were 15-20 and heck I only paid 22 I think for shows in canada.

So essentially you're pissed that you paid $6 more to see Matt in a much smaller venue than you would in Canada?

the drinks, didn't factor in to the cost of the show vs. other stops on the tour. I know better than to expect anything less than $10 drinks in philly..alas..

They played for $15 in Pittsburgh(the only place I recall prices off top of my head) that's about half as much, for imo, a small, and better venue then where they played philly. $13 more for the same set. I don't think MG saw that money, i'm not "upset" or "disappointed" with the band at all..

.. The last time I was in your lil neck of the woods I saw him for $22? I think, at arizona's they played 6-7 more songs and again, imo, while being probably 150ish people tonight vs. 3000? in st. caths, the show wasn't as good. They played 6-7 songs longer, and having the crowd into it was kinda better. I felt like they rocked out a bit more the few times up north, but that was also years ago, and again in a bigger venue in front of "home town" fans.

like guitar said. i'm 110% not pissed at anyone...I got the vibe it was just kinda going through the motions other than few bits and pieces of humor. They played G R E A T and fine, I fully enjoyed myself, just thought it was rather high money wise vs. some of the other venues home and abroad.

Would you like any further explanation? let me know if you find anything else you'd like to take a shot at being condescending about : )

I think, at arizona's they played 6-7 more songs and again, imo, while being probably 150ish people tonight vs. 3000?

You mean 300, right? I've been to Arizona's; no way you're fitting 3000 people in there unless he's playing out in the field next door.

As far as the cost of the ticket, $28 is CHEAP! I've seen an array of bands of the years. I've spent $100 a ticket to see Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, and DMB in the past. On the opposite end of that, the first time I saw MGB 9 years ago it was only $10. $28 is still a bargain. To see such a quality artist in such a small, intimate venue is quite the oppurtunity.

You have to consider how many people all get a cut. All of the costs running a tour such as this add up; the cost of gas, crew, food, hotels. The venue takes a cut. Matt's said he's not making a dime off the tour; he's doing it for the fans. So the only thing he may actually make money on is merch.

You mean 300, right? I've been to Arizona's; no way you're fitting 3000 people in there unless he's playing out in the field next door.

That, and by comparison - Massey Hall holds closer to 3000, and tickets in December were $40-$55 plus fees.

Massey Hall holds that much? That's where I saw Smashing Pumpkins a year or so ago. I don't remember it being that big.

Official capacity is 2753. It definitely doesn't feel as large as that - I think it may be the size of the balconies and that the building is taller and less deep than similar venues of that capacity.

As far as the cost of the ticket, $28 is CHEAP! I've seen an array of bands of the years. I've spent $100 a ticket to see Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, and DMB in the past. On the opposite end of that, the first time I saw MGB 9 years ago it was only $10. $28 is still a bargain. To see such a quality artist in such a small, intimate venue is quite the oppurtunity.

You have to consider how many people all get a cut. All of the costs running a tour such as this add up; the cost of gas, crew, food, hotels. The venue takes a cut. Matt's said he's not making a dime off the tour; he's doing it for the fans. So the only thing he may actually make money on is merch.

Inside? Both times i've seen MG play at arizona's was outside it was fenced in(IDK if that's a permenant fence..) there was 2500 - 3k, not to be a smart ass I didn't get a head count, just going on feeling. The outdoors were full. I'm pretty sure the shows were sold out..

I don't think $28 is cheap..I wouldn't pay $100 to see MG or anyone else..most "shows" I go to are in the 12-25 range..but that's all relative.

Again, i'm not "mad" just a little salty cost vs. playing time, and most of the cost I feel like went to the venue. It's not biggie..I BIG HEART MG's music.

Bowery Ballroom tonight!!!!!!!

Very excited. First time seeing Matt with a full band.

You better be excited. I wish I was able to go. I hope he's more into it for you than he was for us. Let us know how the show was. Just a tip: Ask the soundguys after the show is over for the setlist. Stand outside the bus after the show. You'll likely get autographs. It worked for us.

Well like I said before I've been to a couple shows before. The first show was in Buffalo and the bus was easily accessible. Then I saw him in 2008 in NYC and the bus was nowhere to be found. I don't know where you can hide a bus in Manhattan, but I know a couple of people that will be at the show and they intend to find him afterward so I'll probably stick around with them. I'm going to try and get Hospital Music signed.

I've never gotten a setlist from a show before. I probably won't be the lucky one to get it, but I'll definitely keep track of the setlist and post it in here ASAP.

I AM INDEED VERY EXCITED ;)

Matthew Good Friday!!!

Dude I walked right by the bus at the last NYC show. Maybe they moved it after. I'd like to see if we can find it after tonight's show. It's gotta be down one of the side streets. Would be neat if it were on Elizabeth St, since that's my first name, but that's on the opposite side of Bowery so I doubt it.

Oh yeah, anyone need an extra ticket for the Boston show tomorrow? Looks like my ex is bailing on me. Typical.

Edited by Tibbychick

Matthew Good Friday!!!

Dude I walked right by the bus at the last NYC show. Maybe they moved it after. I'd like to see if we can find it after tonight's show. It's gotta be down one of the side streets. Would be neat if it were on Elizabeth St, since that's my first name, but that's on the opposite side of Bowery so I doubt it.

Oh yeah, anyone need an extra ticket for the Boston show tomorrow? Looks like my ex is bailing on me. Typical.

If only I had known! I live in Louisiana, so me acquiring the ticket would not be particularly conducive to your goal.

Love Boston, btw... LOVE it! Saw U2 on their 360 Tour and it was fantastic. Of course, the museums were really nice, too. Didn't make to the aquarium, but I've heard wonderous things.