Crusader

Arrows Of Desire

Fuck it, I was planning on having the first listen tomorrow with my bass amp, but I'm listening to it now.

If I'm ranking this by favorites after one listen:

Garden of Knives (this song is incredible)

Mutineering

Hey Hell Heaven (Garden>Mutineering>Heaven is one of the best three song stretches in an album that I've heard in a long time)

Arrows of Desire

Guns of Carolina

Letters in Wartime

We're Long Gone

Via Dolorosa

Had It Coming

So Close

You pretty much nailed it... although Via Dolorosa will likely move up after a few more listens.

Fuck it, I was planning on having the first listen tomorrow with my bass amp, but I'm listening to it now.

If I'm ranking this by favorites after one listen:

Garden of Knives (this song is incredible)

Mutineering

Hey Hell Heaven (Garden>Mutineering>Heaven is one of the best three song stretches in an album that I've heard in a long time)

Arrows of Desire

Guns of Carolina

Letters in Wartime

We're Long Gone

Via Dolorosa

Had It Coming

So Close

Yup I agree with that too.

Got my download lnk in the email this morning though I'm at work so that does me no good here.

As of now, if I was forced to make a favorites list without putting more than one song in the same spot, I would have:

Garden of Knives

Via Dolorosa

Mutineering

Letters in Wartime

Hey Hell Heaven

So Close

We're Long Gone

Guns of Carolina

Arrows of Desire

Had It Coming

Though it's really very hard to decide between VD and Mutineering. They are both great for their own reasons and I would rather put them in the same slot. The same can probably be said for Letters and HHH.

Also, when I listen to Letters in Wartime I can't help but think of Change of Season.

If I REALLY had to rank them, after listening to the album for a week, it would look like this:

Letters in Wartime

Garden of Knives

Via Dolorosa

Guns of Carolina

So Close

Arrows of Desire

Hey Hell Heaven

Mutineering

We're Long Gone

Had It Coming

I just.....can't get into Mutineering for some reason. I love the lyrics, but the song feels like it's missing something. Maybe I'll like it more over time.

Also, when I listen to Letters in Wartime I can't help but think of Change of Season.

I was thinking the same thing the other day! Letters definitely is in the vain of Underdogs.

Edited by MS_DOS

This album totally helps me complete one of my favourite playlists of MG solo music.

1. Champions of Nothing

2. Avalanche

3. Last Parade

4. The Boy Who Could Explode

5. A Silent Army in the Trees

6. On Nights Like Tonight

8. Mutineering

9. Hey Hell Heaven

10. Near Fantastica

11. How it Goes

12. Odette

13. A Single Explosion

14. Metal Airplanes

It's really hard to choose top favourites on the disc, as it is a very solid release from start to finish.

But right now I would rank the songs (favourite to least favourite)

Hey Hell Heaven

Garden of Knives

Arrows of Desire

Via Dolorosa

So Close

Guns of Carolina

Had It Coming

We're Long Gone

Mutineering

Letters In Wartime

Edited by jackwork

Did this in the other thread, but after many listens I have made a few changes... Here's how I personally rank the tunes.

1. Hey Hell Heaven

2. Mutineering

3. Garden of Knives

4. Letters in Wartime

5. Arrows of Desire

6. Via Dolorosa

7. Guns of Carolina

8. Had it Coming

9. We're Long Gone

10. So Close

This is a random note: It appears this is the first Matthew Good album to not feature any swearing or specifically, 'f' words.

I got the cd earlier today and should have a chance to listen to it tonight. I listened to the title track and it's definitely different to LOES. It gave me some MGB vibes and it was different that there was little to no let-up in the music. There seemed to be a lot of changes in it which I really like but based on one listen of that song it seems this album might take some time to sink in.

Edited by Manchalivin

I got the cd earlier today and should have a chance to listen to it tonight. I listened to the title track and it's definitely different to LOES. It gave me some MGB vibes and it was different that there was little to no let-up in the music.

That's actually a good way to describe the entire album. It's pretty much just go-go-go. There's very little pause or slowdown in the songs, or any massive build ups like Avalanche or Non Populus or Change of Season, etc. I think one 'epic' song would have been nice, but I can't complain because honestly I would rate this as his 2nd-best solo album (after Avalanche). The fact that he can match or exceed his earlier work proves how much talent he has. So many artists metaphorically blow their load on their early work and then slowly fade away. But Matt has been able to not only survive, but actually continue to improve his music. That's just awesome.

Yeah, one epic song would have been nice Riley but I think Letters in Wartime has the potential to be that for this album. I listened to this album once, but there were two things that made me not be able to hear it properly: my ears are a bit plugged up as I just got a cold (conveniently in time for this album :rolleyes:) and I listened to it while going for a walk. I figured screw it, I really like listening to albums on a walk and I figured this would be a good type of album to walk to. But regardless of those hindrances this album sounds very promising. There's some very intriguing, interesting sounds on it and the guitar sounds cool on this. I love the intro to Garden of Knives, and the guitar and effects on parts of Guns of Carolina is sweet. Clearly need more listens and ears to unplug but I see this at least being a very enjoyable, catchy, solid rock album.

Top three:

Via Dolorosa

Letters in Wartime

Garden of Knives

Currently I'd go with (assuming no ties allowed):

Mutineering

Garden of Knives

So Close

Arrows of Desire

Letters in Wartime

We're Long Gone

Via Dolorosa

Hey Heaven Hell

Guns of Carolina

Had It Coming

So close doesn't have as strong a chorus as the others near the top, but I really love the rest of it.

I also can't wait to hear We're Long Gone live. It seems like it will be amazingly energetic.

Interesting tidbit: When I popped the CD into my computer to rip it to itunes, the artist came up as Matthew Good Band for every song. Artist and Album Artist for each track had Matthew Good Band in its tags. I changed it to Matthew Good.

Anybody else notice this? Seems like a weird goof.

Ok after first listen: Fucking awesome. Best album since Hospital Music. So, so happy that I have this. Since everyone's doing song rankings...here's mine after first listen:

1. Via Dolorosa

2. Mutineering

3. Guns of Carolina

4. Garden of Knives

5. Letters in Wartime

6. So Close

7. Hey Hell Heaven

8. Arrows of Desire

9. We're Long Gone

10. Had It Coming

I'm quite enjoying this album after 2 listens. I think this album is a good combination of all/most of his albums. There's elements and sounds of old and new. I really like that there's more passion in his vocals on this one as opposed to LOES. Also, this is probably the most rocking album of his career which is interesting considering he's 10 albums in now. Had It Coming is better in context of the rest of the album.

I think Arrows of Desire or Via Dolorosa would be best bet for a single.

Edited by Manchalivin

Interesting tidbit: When I popped the CD into my computer to rip it to itunes, the artist came up as Matthew Good Band for every song. Artist and Album Artist for each track had Matthew Good Band in its tags. I changed it to Matthew Good.

Anybody else notice this? Seems like a weird goof.

I had three choices: Matthew Good, Matthew Good, and Matthew Good Band. I chose the first one and it came up with featuring Yes. So then I went back and picked the second one and it was fixed.

After a few listens, my list now looks like this:

Garden of Knives

Mutineering

Hey Hell Heaven

Arrows of Desire

Guns of Carolina

Letters in Wartime

Via Dolorosa +1

We're Long Gone -1

Had It Coming

So Close

You have a good ear... our lists are very close.

Absolutely love Hey Hell Heaven.

On one hand it seems like such a straight sounding rock song, but on the other it's unlike anything I've heard from MG. I've been singing along and belting out the two different runs with my arm punching the sky and it feels awesome. It may sound a bit unassuming at first, but this tune fucking rocks.

I can definitely hear the Tripoli in parts of Mutineering. It's really nice to be able to hear that familiar type of vocal and passion again (not just talking about Mutineering). This song is getting better the more I listen. Garden of Knives has a vibe that reminds me quite a bit of Beautiful Midnight which is very cool.