Crusader

Arrows Of Desire

I can definitely hear the Tripoli in parts of Mutineering. It's really nice to be able to hear that familiar type of vocal and passion again (not just talking about Mutineering). This song is getting better the more I listen. Garden of Knives has a vibe that reminds me quite a bit of Beautiful Midnight which is very cool.

So glad he made a tighter version of Tripoli as far as lyrics are concerned. I've always wanted to get into that tune because of the vocal range and style he displays there, but I could never get past the awkward poetry. Mutineering has definitely given me everything Tripoli couldn't.

Question for Matt,

Why did you decide to throw the slight effect on your vocals for Garden Of Knives? Dare I say it's a bit of a flanger effect? You did the same for Non Populus, and I think those are the best tracks on each of your last 2 records. In my opinion, it's the only thing that takes away from those songs being perfect. I do look forward to hearing it live though, sans the vocal distortion.

So yeah, if I can say anything about this record, it's awesome. It's nice to be treated to the heavier stuff once in a while. After Mutineering, it kind of drops off for me but then gets right back into it come the middle of Hey Heaven Hell. I think the choice for the tracklisting will throw some people off once it gets closer to the end, because pretty much the whole foundation of the record is just go go go.

Cool stuff, can't wait to hear it live. It's also a nice touch having the actual live band playing on the record, it adds a little bit more personality to the songs.

I really love all of the songs on this album for different reasons, I think my only slight nitpick is the chorus on So Close leaves a bit to be desired but it is what it is. I don't think I can really make a list of 1-10 but I'm glad to see Via Delarosa get some love in a few of your lists!

Matt's new blog posts alludes to everyone here at the bored and fans alike: http://matthewgood.org/journal/2013/9/26/september-26-2013-2

I know I'm not alone when I say that Matt's music has had more impact on my life than any other artist by far and it's rare that I can still be this excited for an artist's upcoming new record even after all these years.

Alright, he's done it. I've been listening to this in loop since the stream last week. Bought it on the day it came out (as I did for every record he's made since Beautiful Midnight having discovered MGB after Everything is Automatic came out so I was late for Underdogs, Raygun and LOTGA :P).

But he's done it again! I listen to every single bloody song on this record! It's not a concept album but every song complements the others like White Light Rock 'n' Roll Review or Beautiful Midnight. It feels like A record.

Garden of Knives is one of the best songs he's ever written along with the likes of Weapon, Avalanche, Empty's Theme Park, Non Populus and so on.

I just wish it was longer!

One of the things I really appreciate about this album manages to weave so many elements of Matt’s past into something distinctly new and compelling.

The ambient guitar lick that simmers beneath “Hey Hell Heaven” calls to mind the spacey opening notes of Avalanche’s “Bright End of Nowhere”, before veering into a soaring refrain. The pleading cries of “Mutineer” evoke the visceral emotion that coursed through the vocals on “Tripoli”. The sonic canvass of “Guns of Carolina” features the distortion and sampling that served as the unifying undertow on “Hospital Music” and feels like it could slide right into the track list next to “She’s In It for the Money”. “We’re Long Gone” could just as easily be situated with “Put Out Your Lights” on WLRR, and even “So Close” offers a lyrical homage to The Who that can’t help but call to mind the musical one he constructed with “Ex-Pats…”.

Matt would probably cringe if he read this, but I even hear elements of “Last of the Ghetto Astronauts” in “Letters in Wartime”. By the time the song reaches its apex, I half expect it to end with strained shrieks exclaiming definitively that “the war is over!” -- bringing it all full circle.

Too many artists spend their careers striving to recapture that one song, that one sound, that one album that brought them to prominence. Chasing a formula until it ultimately degrades and destroys what was special about those songs to begin with. Matt has never seemed comfortable in that space, and has always acknowledged that ultimately the music making process is still a very personal, exploratory and selfish thing. It’s a decision that has assuredly cost him sales, fans and airplay over the years – but it’s also freed him from the whims of the radio rollercoaster. It’s also allowed him the rare ability to own all of it (well maybe not “Rico) and acknowledge and revisit the sounds and influences that have been such a formative part of his life.

This album might be the best showcase of that yet. It’s not a return to form or a nostalgic revisitation, it’s just the latest chapter.

Edited by joeposh

Ok, this album rocks! In more ways than one. It is hitting me harder the more I listen and is bringing back some feelings I haven't felt in a way since I first became a fan of Matthew Good. It's got the harder elements but there's also some subtle haunting moments that were a big part of what I liked so much about him in the first place. Don't get me wrong, there's been haunting moments throughout his career but there is some reminiscence of days gone by here in parts. This is MG's most immediate album I think and it's just what the doctor ordered at this point. There can be some obvious little comparisons to WLRRR, but overall this is unlike anything Matthew's released. And I love that it sounds natural, it doesn't sound forced. In a way it's really simple, and yet it's not. There's quite a bit of complexity on it. There's plenty of great riffs and little solos and melodies. There's some nice creative flourishes from Anthony that add a lot to it.

I can see the comparisons of Letters In Wartime to Change of Season and LotGA. Non Populus is very good but lacks something for me or has too much ho hum and drawn out parts. Letters is just right it seems. I love the slow down in the middle with the piano. Garden of Knives could possibly be the best track after my last listen. It's one of his coolest songs. But I think I'm going to go with Via Dolorosa. It's just a near perfect MG rock song that has it all. I like that the album is shorter but it's not too short. It's concise, the songs are balanced well, it doesn't let up much, but yet there's still enough classic quiet MG moments.

• Upvote 1

Not nearly as epic as say, Non Populus, but man Letters in Wartime is going to rock live. Also totally in love with Mutineering

I used to listen to lots of Tragically Hip in the 90's and in regards to Letters in Wartime, I can't help but sense the Hips distinct style and melodies, I mean at least after the first minute of raspy spoken poetry which is MG at his finest. Not saying any of this was on purpose, hell most of you may not even be hearing what I am... just wanted to say I like it a lot, and it just adds to my love for the song. Even though Mutineering is one of my favorites, it doesn't really stick in my head as much as Hey Hell Heaven or Via Dolorosa (which are constantly playing in my head). Garden of Knives is awesome, but it could have easily represented that epic 9 minute song that everyone feels is missing. All Matt would have needed was one of his signature "getting lost in a dream" moments and than back to that wicked riff that sounds like a mussel car reaving. However, that has also backfired on a couple past songs, so I can understand his need to keep it tight.... especially if it's radio worthy like the way Weapon was.

Edited by Young Grasshopper

10 songs about 40 minutes is a good length for an album, I think.

Well I'm not complaining I'm just saying I wish there were more! ;)

Not nearly as epic as say, Non Populus, but man Letters in Wartime is going to rock live.

I totally agree, Non Populus is one of those songs that Matt writes that just stands out of everything else. Letters in Wartime tends to almost get there but not quite. But it is epic nonetheless. I have had this song in my head all week!

Letters in Wartime tends to almost get there but not quite.

Agreed. The song itself is okay, but the bridge (if you can call it that) really seemed like it was going to lead to something unique. It reminded me a lot of the live renditions that Matt was doing in the 02-04 era with Christan, Pat and Rich (see the extended versions of Giant and Near Fantastica for example). But then it kind of just flowed back into the dull chorus made up of those simple chords and weak lead. The song still has a conclusionary and dreamy feel to it (and I love the lyrics) but It's too bad because, for me, if Matt had decided to continue in the direction the bridge was going, it really would have brought the end track, and thus the album, a level higher and given it that rare texture of song writing that I've only ever seen from him live during the 02-04 era.

That being said though, I am enjoying the album and it seems to be one of those that is going to grow on me. When I first heard the title track (AOD) I thought it was good, but at the same time was a little "Meh" about it. It's now one of my favorite songs on the album.

Despite not enjoying the verses on Via, I really dig the the rest of the song and especially the lead at the end (gives it that extra texture and punch it needs to make it fly).

Likewise, HIC and WLG are simple but have great energy and feel for me. The piano provided by Anthony in WLG particularly gives the song a great kind of umpf (I know that's not a word but you know I mean). In fact, I really enjoyed everything Anthony did in this album, especially his work in Garden of Knives, which is also my favorite song of the album. It has a very unique writing style to it and the instumentation effects laid down by everyone are just fantastically unique. It's weird, but for some reason I keep thinking the song would have fit well on the Oblivion soundtrack (maybe it's just the futuristic feel the song has).

The rest (save for GOC)... are pretty filler for me. Interesting arragnements on a few of them, but the use of power chords and unispiring song structures on songs like So Close (even though it does have some interesting verses), Mutineering, and Hey Hell Heaven leave me feeling like they were pretty forgettable.

Anyways, just some random thoughts on the album.

Edited by daniel_v

I don't feel the album lacks an epic song. I think Letters In Wartime is enough of an epic song and is a distinct song to close the album nicely. I think it has one of my favourite choruses on the album. I'm happy with the lack of epic songs in general because this is meant to be a more straight up rock album and some of the things I love most about MG are sprinkled all over this album and even poured on in parts. I've had the slow down piano/keys part of Letters in my head a bit, I love it, and it's way better in my opinion than the slow down acoustic part of Non Populus. It's amazing how much simple keys and effects can add to a part. And of course Matt's voice and style. Via Dolorosa has been in my head quite a lot.

This album probably has the best ordering of songs of any of his albums. He really refined his songwriting craft with this one.

Edited by Manchalivin

Garden of Knives is definetely my favorite song in this new album :) I can't stop listening to it

Yes!, in the preface Blake wrote for inclusio with Milton, a Poem.

William Blake, a spectacular romantic British poet... just love him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Milton_preface.jpg

News update in progress.

- New album is going to be called "Arrows of Desire" and will be out in September 2013.

- Warne Livesey won't be producing this time around, MG will be producing it himself.

- Album named after a William Blake poem..

- Lots of metaphors like in the Beautiful Midnight era.

Edited by juanpe

I want to clarify, I'm not saying I think Letters in Wartime is better than Non Populus. Actually I think Non Populus is the better song. The subtleties, lyrics, epic guitar soloing and spectacular ending stand out over Letters. Not to downgrade Letters of course. I just think I haven't been feeling LOES much in general for the last few listens.

But I listened to LOES twice tonight and I was appreciating it more again. NP is a great song, and the album is really good and it's great for being different.

I want to clarify, I'm not saying I think Letters in Wartime is better than Non Populus. Actually I think Non Populus is the better song. The subtleties, lyrics, epic guitar soloing and spectacular ending stand out over Letters. Not to downgrade Letters of course. I just think I haven't been feeling LOES much in general for the last few listens.

But I listened to LOES twice tonight and I was appreciating it more again. NP is a great song, and the album is really good and it's great for being different.

I could never get into Non Populus as much as I could with many of the other songs on LOES, and I definitely prefer to listen to Letters of Wartime before NP even if they would have been released on the same album.

It's official: Arrows of Desire is a good album for running.

Awesome! Who would have thought... I never thought I would see the day. I'm a die-hard runner, so that's good news for me. I'm just waiting for my signed CD to come in the mail; then, I will fire it up on my ipod and run full throttle. I can't wait.

Yeah I actually had one of my best running days recently while listening to AoD yesterday. I'm not a great runner or anything, but I was definitely pumped up.

Also one thing I'm really starting to appreciate more with each listen is the keyboards. It adds so much to these songs.

Man, really sad that the US tour was canceled. I'd be so pumped for that NY show if it were still going down. I wish I could make it up to Canada this Fall, but it is very unlikely. <_<

Edited by Gomo

It's a great album! Already listening to it on Spotify and I'm waiting for my signed copy. Does anyone know of any bonus tracks or alternative tracklistings? The spotify version has a second disc that is a bit like a 'best of', it's funny that stuff like that isn't really mentioned.

It's likely the acoustic renditions album "Rooms" from 2005, as I believe the UK or International version of Arrows of Desire came with it as a second disc and/or vinyl of it. That, or "Old Fighters" if anything.

What a splendid surprise this album was, though. I pretty much was convinced that White Light Rock And Roll Review was a fluke in what was seemingly a decidedly less rocking solo career. Obvious songs aside of course, such as the two In a Coma extra tracks done with Ryan Dahle. I may be crazy, but I still really hear the style and attack of Meegan Bradfield's style of bass playing ever since (especially on Vancouver). Just listen to I/O by limblifter and ponder it, haha.

Not this time though. A whole new sound of course. Pretty much a MG album prerequisite haha. Thank you for having ghost notes on the snare. Too funny knowing now that most of Vancouver was doubled over with electronic drums. Makes a world of difference and some nifty fills, too. Like the pre-chorus of Mutineering. You can hear the self-produced coming out, though. Seems like Warne Livesey really does the trick for keeping a very dynamic production. His best production effort yet, though. Hospital Music got away with being sparse even when it was even when drowning in tons-o-stuff like Moon Over Marin.

One of his finest efforts, easily. Top 3 pedestal worthy? Maybe. Underdogs and Avalanche are still "knock-your-teeth-out-it's-so-good", so it has some stiff competition. But I think it may be a winner. Bronze medal, anyway. How Canadian! Curious to hear the first week sales numbers. I was almost sad to hear it likely wouldn't be a top 10 first week seller for the first time since 1999. I think it will be a slow burn album. No doubt, it will at the very least get talked about for a long time as a high-water mark.

And I was also pleased with the pleasant message he left in regards to the long time fans. Classy fellow, and a 100% classic Canadian artist.

...all that's left now is to do an album with Ryan Dahle, Meegan Bradfield, Ian Browne (Alarmbell!) and because he's great, Anthony. Just do it. And have Bob Rock produce it! Hahaha just dare to dream people...