Crusader

Arrows Of Desire

Woah, did he get Yes to play on this album? Might this finally be the prog-rock opera based on the Lord of the Rings that he's talked about recording? (Maybe "Arrows of Desire" is about Legolas?)

;)

lol!

Yeah I laughed at that too! :P

Well those weren't up when I posted the artwork. I think I want to try not listening to them. Interesting that there's samples already. And who's Yes? Every track features it apparently.

I'm sure that's an error. Yes is an English prog rock band who were big in the 70's. Perhaps one track has a sample or contribution from them, but certainly not the whole album.

I listened to the samples one time through just out of curiosity, but won't revisit them to preserve the experience of hearing the album for the first time. The sound quality is pretty bad, and heavily compressed, so you're not missing much -- but I can still tell that the album is pretty promising.

Well those weren't up when I posted the artwork. I think I want to try not listening to them. Interesting that there's samples already. And who's Yes? Every track features it apparently.

Yes regrouped recently and released a new album without their best-known singer. This feels more like an error all the way around - I can't imagine any reason that Matt would work with them (or vice versa).

Best known for their extended prog-rock wankery.

Roundabout (live)

But their "mainstream" era resulted in one of the best music videos ever made. Trippy as hell (in a dark and good way). If you've never seen it before, it's worth the 4:25.

Owner of a Lonely Heart

I'm sure that's an error. Yes is an English prog rock band who were big in the 70's. Perhaps one track has a sample or contribution from them, but certainly not the whole album.

I listened to the samples one time through just out of curiosity, but won't revisit them to preserve the experience of hearing the album for the first time. The sound quality is pretty bad, and heavily compressed, so you're not missing much -- but I can still tell that the album is pretty promising.

I agree, I kept thinking it was just my crappy car speakers but the sound quality is not great.

That being said, a few of the samples really have me excited for the release. Being in the US, I haven't been able to purchase the singles so this is highly anticipated.

I decided to listen to the Guns of Carolina sample since I heard live acoustic versions of it and I must say it has got me pretty excited for this album. I really love the intro music part of the sample. It sounds different for Matthew Good in a very good way (no pun intended). It reminds me of something and the closest I can figure is something Buckethead has written. Also I'm thinking it has kind of a nostalgic sound, possibly why I like it so much.

It seems like this might be an album with quite a variety of sounds and I am getting excited.

I fucking love Yes. Seriously, I grew up with them as my father and brother would play them all the time. They're like an old friend to me.

I know it's probably an error of some kind, but a Matthew Good/Yes combo would be amazing. LOL :)

I probably wouldn't find it hard to resist if I had only heard the single but I listened to Guns of Carolina sample only because I've heard it in some form and I really like the sound of that one.

I especially want to hear as little as possible of this album before I can hear the whole thing because it will be very refreshing after having heard most or all of the last 2 albums in demo form beforehand.

Edited by Manchalivin

I didn't listen to anything before LOES so I decided to listen to the samples for Arrows. Sounded pretty good. Very different from LOES. I'm definitely looking forward to the album. Mutineering sounded kind of like vintage Matt Good...like something that could have been on Underdogs, Beautiful Midnight or Audio of Being.

Edited by Gomo

I've had a good listen to the samples. I was looking forward to putting this album on having only heard very little of it, but I can never resist when demos or previews like this are available with only a click. In my experience, little samples like this don't ruin the first listen of songs anyway, it's just a little tease that brings up the excitement.

After listening to these I am more excited than ever for this album. Some of it really sounds like it could be similar to MGB, which is not something I was expecting. Had It Coming and We're Long Gone did not give me that vibe at all. I might end up being way off on that as these are just quick samples.

It sounds like there might be a couple tracks on here that would make really great singles (Hey Hell Heaven and Guns of Carolina in particular). I hope one or two of them get big on alt rock radio at least here in Canada.

Guest Bimbly

samples sound pretty cool to me. in a way, had it coming / long gone sound like some of the weaker tracks, as impossible as that might be to surmise based off 30 seconds. i welcome this new/old mgb-esque direction. i'd totally be into a tour and fake "genn and good are bros again" narrative if they wanted to sell me it, too. :whistle:

i'm getting a murky, almost hazy vibe from these tunes so far.

It's all I can listen to lately. Seriously, I've got a really crazy feeling about this record. Not that they should have lost it in the first place, but this is really gonna restore a lot of faith back into the people that stopped listening to Matt.

It's true, the samples give it a very MGB era vibe. That's all good by me. Like a lot of people have said, the last few albums have been spoiled because of all the demos that got released beforehand. This is going to much be much different. It's been a while since I've gotten goosebumps hearing a record for the first time in its entirety (AoB), and I know this one's gonna do it. The suspense is killing me.

If you haven't listened to the samples yet, good for you. I'd say keep it that way. You'll be plenty happy you did if you can wait until the release day.

Mutineering sounded kind of like vintage Matt Good...like something that could have been on Underdogs, Beautiful Midnight or Audio of Being.

Yeah I get the same feeling.

"There's a spider in the kitchen sink, turn the tap on stand there watch it panic." I love this line from Via Dolorosa, it doesn't seem like something that would come out of a Matt Good song, but it's still pretty great.

I'm really liking the vibe from these samples, very excited to listen to the new album.

I know artists sometimes don't like when people compare their new work to their old, but I do get vibes older records in some songs, of Audio of Being or Hospital Music.

But any comparisons or pattern-finding by my brain aside, I really like what the clips provide. Arrows of Desire sounds like a Last Parade but with a heap of emotion thrown into the singing (not that Last Parade lacked it, but this feels like it has more oomph). And Hey Heaven Hell sounds absolutely fantastic. In fact, they all do in different ways.

I already have tickets for the Regina show, and I plan to now get tickets to the Saskatoon one as well. It's always worth the road trip!

Edited by RileyLewis