Ravenous Yam

Calgary Concert

Photos from Mac Hall are up on my site:

www.tblog.ca

The sound was great this year. Last appearance at Mac Hall was aweful from both stage right and mid-mid. This time, I thought it was great. There's a reason I don't stand mid stage anymore...

Loved the LaG, and thought their sound was right on, at least from my vantage point.

.te.d

Edited by boreal99

Did anyone see that old man get taken away by security right before Matt came out. He was just standing there on his own minding his own buisness when security came a took him away. It was weird to say the least.

The show was good though, I thought the sound was fine and I was right up front and center about 1 or 2 rows of people from the rail.

This was the 4rth time I've seen matt and I thought the crowd as better than usual. (other than that dude screaming "rock this bitch!" over and over) Had these 2 chicks behind me digging their elbows into me trying to get infront of me, that got annoying but hilarious at the same time because I didn't move. I was the guy screaming "play radiobomb!" if anyone wants to know. I crowd surfed during alert status red, that was pretty rad, especially when security tried to grab me and the crowd moved me away.

I liked the 21st century living without the rant, it was cool with them just jamming and the lights all blue and stuff. I didn't much care for Matt's political rant. Sure he's a great artist and what not but I find his whole political activism annoying. I go to his shows to listen to music not to listen to Matt talk about something he's not exactly an expert on. I know I sound like a prick but if I wanted a social lecture I would go to a social class. I had a great time anyways though.

I thought the L&G sucked though, couldn't stand them. Every song was the same, dumb keyboards, lacking guitar, stupid maracas and extremely boring drums. There was no real energy behind them, nothing catchy or anything either to listen to. I swear that drummer played the EXACT same beat for 3/4's of his songs. I could have done anything any of those guys did (even grow that sweetass facial hair)

I thought the set list was pretty decent to but kind of wished he had included a few more songs. I think someone already mentioned strange days, the future is x-rated or anti-pop would have been good, haven't slept in years, near fantastica, generation x-wing. Would have liked to see any of those.

All in all it was a pretty good time, I don't what some of you are talking about not going if you would have known it would have turned out that way. You need to lighten up and stop whinning, a shows a show, theres always going to be problems or drunk assholes but there is no use complaining about it. What else would you have spent your evening doing? flames game maaaaaaybe but everyone knows the flames suck ;) :angry: (vancover's better)

Hey uglybutterfly, were you standing behind the soundboard by chance?

Lots of complainers about Ladies and Gentlemen there. Just thought I'd ask.

I was not in fact behind the soundboard I was right on the rail just to the right of Matt in the middle of a crowd of sheep who I believe only heckled the band because of their appearances and because they thought they'd be cool to do so. (24 hours later and I'm still pissed about it)

I would have told them to shut up with the heckling but I was surrounded on all sides and horribly outnumbered. The comments about them being a queer band and therefore a shitty band were completely disrespectful.

Instant- Karma, were you wearing a green shirt because if so I saw you and cheered

And yeah, vocals were difficult to hear up front but not completely inaudible.

Instant-Karma, I think you came close to me then I pushed you away, then some girl went over me and the security grabbed her. For reference, while waiting for the concert I was sitting on the landing of the stairs with a blue and white Texans hat, eating A&W for a short period of time. I'm sure if I had gone back a little further I'd be able to hear. Unfortunately I wasn't able to at the risk of falling over. People pushing me in every direction, the only stability I had was holding onto the barrier. Ah well, better luck next year.

If you couldn't hear him from where you were standing, why didn't you just move? The lack of enjoyment is completely your fault...

Yeah, it's extremely difficult to push backwards through hundreds of people who are all pushing forwards into you.

Been there, done that.

Great pictures boreal99. Thanks.

That was an awesome concert. I have a whole new appreciation for his music now. The set list was excellent. I loved Suburbia with the nice lighting and Advertising on Police Cars. They put on a great show.

Their new merch is the best I've seen from his concerts too. I love the army theme. All of it looks really good, especially the Army jacket.

One of the best set lists ever.

Rat

Avalanche

Load

Joyful

Suburbia

Empty Road

21st Century

Time bomb

Automatic

Blue Skies

Weapon

Police Cars

Giant

Alert Status

Prime time Deliverance

Apperitions

Me and my brother got there a bit late but weren't too far back in the line up. I studied for my music in film midterm (that i had the next day) while we waited for the doors to open.

Got up to the front of the stage, but off the the far right side (Rich's side).

Absolutly shocked by some of the songs that were played, some i haven't heard at all, some i haven't heard since 1999. For that reason it was one of my favourite shows ever.

I was able to get a set list and a pick. That makes 3 of each in my MG collection.

Waited outside for 90 minutes in the freezing rain and snow for Matt to come out. Even though someone said he already left, i wasn't convinced. Thanks Kellee for keeping me company.

Rich, Pat and Christian came out to the bus, after a few minutes, Christian brought me and my brother some peanuts and beer (MMMM!!!!)

Matt came out for a brief moment to sign my set list and (IAC cd cover), he was very tired so he didn't stay long, i understand. Thanks MATT!!!!

lucky duck! i would kill (not really) for a pick or drumstick or setlist... i was just too far back from the stage (likely right behind you anna)

excellent excellent show - i really enjoyed advertising on police cars, which is weird because its usually not one of my faves, but the bass had a bit of a flange on it i believe, sounded awesome - rich is the man.

THe comment I have about TL&G is that everything sounded the same, now it could be the fact that their set up and lvl's wasnt that great, but it seemed like every song was very similar to the one before it.

Hearing Blue Skies live was one of the best things I could've imagined. I love the song off of the album but like it was a million times better.

Waited outside for 90 minutes in the freezing rain and snow for Matt to come out. Even though someone said he already left, i wasn't convinced. Thanks Kellee for keeping me company.

Rich, Pat and Christian came out to the bus, after a few minutes, Christian brought me and my brother some peanuts and beer (MMMM!!!!)

Matt came out for a brief moment to sign my set list and (IAC cd cover), he was very tired so he didn't stay long, i understand. Thanks MATT!!!!

I'm so glad he came out for you then. I wasn't convinced either, but I only waited for 40 minutes before we took off. Ah well, I guess I'm not die hard enough to wait that long (I was f@#$ing frozen). Still, I'm glad he came out eventually. What total BS about the airport crap, eh? LOL

Here's an article from yesterday's Calgary Herald (November 1):

Good gets ready to rework his hits

MIKE DEVLIN

CANWEST NEWS SERVICE

If outspoken Vancouver rocker Matthew Good follows through on his word, in a matter of months some of his biggest hits may cease to exist in their current form.

"I said a long time ago I didn't want to be 35 or 40 and playing Hello Time Bomb every night, and I'm serious," says Good, 34. "Don't get me wrong, I love playing it, but you can't do it forever. I'm not the spry 25-year-old I once was."

To that end, Good views his latest release - the two-CD, one DVD greatest hits compilation, In a Coma 1995-2005 - as the final entry in the first phase of his radio-friendly, platinum-selling, Juno-winning career.

"You get to a point where you look at your career and go, 'Well, I guess I could go and make another rock 'n' roll record' and slowly continue the fade into the background. But I'm not really with that. I wanted to release something that kind of put a cap on it and that fans could enjoy,"

The reformed folkie, whose Canadian tour brings him to Calgary tonight, has been thrilling fans since his surprise debut, 1995's Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, became the most successful independent release in Canadian history.

During the headline-grabbing years that followed, Good's music ranged from straight-ahead (Hello Time Bomb) to epic and sublime (Weapon). He's been incredibly successful, with total album sales nearing the one million mark in Canada, but the native of Coquitlam, B.C. is nonetheless eager reinvent himself.

Good acted on those emotions for In a Coma, which includes a disc of past hits re-recorded and re-interpreted in a stripped-down, acoustic setting. Call it the first steps of his rock 'n' roll recovery program.

"There were some songs in the past that I was not entirely happy with how they turned out," Good says, adding that he attacked old songs like 1997's Generation X-Wing with "a vengeance" on the portion of the package titled Rooms.

It's a hint of what is forthcoming from Good, it would seem. He's planning to record a new album in early spring, which could very well come from left-field. "It's not exactly what people are going to be used to," Good says, chuckling mischievously.

"I want to be able to put together a really cool eclectic band to tour that record and not necessarily play 90 percent of the material from past albums. It would be mostly the new record with two or three completely reworked versions of songs from the past."

In the meantime, he'll spend th bulk of his time where he seems most comfortable - on the road.

A Good tour is always a must-see event, and his upcoming "hits" trek with his longtime bandmates - guitarist Christian Thor Valdson, bassist Rich Priske and drummer Pat Steward - should be no exception.

Good is unsure whether he will tour the record in the U.S. or not. He used to care about breaking through in the U.S. market, but he's become so disgusted by the political climate he's close to writing the country off altogether.

"First of all, if I go down to that country, and anybody interviews me about anything to do with politics, I'd get arrested," says Good, a noted activist who has an ongoing relationship with Amnesty

International.

"Someone is going to pull me aside and accuse me of something because of either my political affiliations or my own personal politics."

yeah for some reason the calgary decided to reprint a story originally from the vancouver sun (?) the day of the show... losers... anyways, the new direction from matt should be interesting, i'm looking forward to a tour with shows resembling the ottawa acoustic show - sounds like it was a blast to me