Prometheon

Fears

The dark. Don't forget about the dark.

Everytime I'm wandering in the dark, searching for a lightswitch, I constantly wonder, "Is this when the demons pop out of nowhere to transport me off to hell?" and then I turn on the lights and realize I was being ridiculous.

The dark. Don't forget about the dark.

Everytime I'm wandering in the dark, searching for a lightswitch, I constantly wonder, "Is this when the demons pop out of nowhere to transport me off to hell?" and then I turn on the lights and realize I was being ridiculous.

Same here man. Except with me I have this fear that as soon as I flick the light switch on I'll see the exorcist girl standing directly in front of me.

*shudder*

It's really difficult to get over that fear of the dark. I'm otherwise an extremely rational person. But then you always hear of people who believe so strongly in ghosts and have had demonic experiences and you think, "Are these guys lying?".

To be fair, those demonic experiences are basically people who have near-death experiences, but envision hell rather than heaven. I guess that's rather weird, though, because the reason people so often envision heaven is because the brain starts to release a chemical that also happens to be a powerful street hallucinogen when it is starved of oxygen.

It seems hard to explain. Perhaps some sort of repressed subconscious fear that they only maintain religious beliefs because they're afraid of hell?

Yeah, most likely.

I was studying phobias the other day in psych, and it's pretty interesting stuff. People can develop a phobia to snakes, spiders, or heights after just one negative exposure to them, and yet people have negative exposures to....say, electrical outlets far more often and yet we never develop phobias to those.

Thus it's theorized that we posess the potential to be scared of things biologically. Snakes, spiders and heights posed very real threats to our ancient ancestors, and so that fear is hardwired into us. Similarly, this helps explain why young children almost always have a dream of being chased by some predatory animal, because dreams are kind of a 'vr training program' of sorts for us.

Spot on.

Another reason why people are naturally afraid of spiders (especially big ones) is because their body type is so foreign to us. I mean, 8 legs, 8 eyes, a round abdomen, covered in fur, those little fang things... it's hard to find an insect with a body shape so different to what we're accustomed to.

I'm terrified of spiders. I was in my basement once, doing laundry late at night. It was summer so I lef the basement door to outside open (to enter out basement you need to go outside). When I was done, I walked towards the door and found a wolf spider the size of my palm on the door frame. I couldn't breathe, so I attempted to get my older brother's attention upstairs by tapping on the ceiling with my Father's leval. This disrupted another huge wolf spider in the rafters.

By this point, I now have tears streaming down my face, I'm literally bawling my eyes out. I tried throwing some empty pop cans in a box I found, and a few old books. My hand was shaking so badly that I missed each time.

I ended up just taking a few deep breaths and running past the door as fast as I could.

Most terrifying experience in my life. I'm that afraid of spiders.

I am also terrified of the sound, and texture of wet wool.

There is just something about it that creeps me out. I do the laundry in our house because both my parents work full time, and by the time they get home all they want to do is go to bed. But I refuse to wash my Dad's work sweaters. It makes him angry.

I used to be that scared of spiders, but then I got used to them a little bit. They still scare the crap out of me sometimes, I think it's that whole showing up unexpectedly all the time...and they look gross, albeit fascinating to watch at the same time. Odd eh?

Our old house had black widdows. (That's the house I talked about in my last post.) They stayed in the rafters of the basement most of the time. A few times though, we fould them in the house. They wern't that small either.

Hence why we moved.

i think my fear is commitment, i am single and maybe the reason why i am single is because i dont want to be in a relationship

Ha ha ha... that's so true it's not funny. ;)

The other thing I fear: that time in a relationship where you're eventually split apart, from moving away or university or whatever. And I just know that I'd always be the guy that says, "Umm... you know, I really like you a lot, but I'm not going to turn down every girl that comes my way just because you think we can make it work. Call me when you get back."