lokee

What's The Latest Blog Post Mean? (merged)

Whatever. No publicity is bad publicity.

It's like one of the commenters to his latest blog pointed out; Matt's been very proactive in human rights movements and is quite critical of the society we live in for overlooking and/or abusing such basic human rights.

So it's pretty hypocritical [is it not?] that he's self-indulging about his problems, when, in the next breath, he's off to Vegas, or has money to throw away on pills and booze. There are people with bigger problems in the world who'll never be able to blog about them.

Just listen to that line in Omissions of the Omen.

Don't get me wrong; this is NOT a personal attack on the man by any stretch, I'm giving my view on the content of his blog, which is what the purpose of this topic is [i think]. And if there's something wrong with that, then I'll desist from posting.

Yes there are people with bigger problems, but you have to remember that what Matt is going through is a very hard time psychologically. The whole 2006 thing bruised his faith in humans in general. So there's no hypocrisy. You seem to be understanding things in a wrong manner and enjoying using hard words to describe them. It's not the first time I read some of your comments about Matt and felt a good level of contempt.

Plus, it's his blog. What I don't understand is that you're here saying contemptuous things that you could not have a clue about (like whole looking for sympathy and well-wishing thing) and somehow you don't seem to realize that Matt is a grown man who is going through a hard time and, like he always did, he writes about it. Listen to his songs where he talks about hard stuff, did you ever feel like he was looking for sympathy and well-wishing?

If you want to express your views about his blog, please do, but you have to learn to measure your words because. There are ways of saying things without plain accusations. And you know the rule, if you don't like his blog or what he writes in it, what the hell are you doing reading it?

It's his blog and he can write about whatever he wants to. If he wasn't Matthew Good, a known musician, nobody would criticize him about writing about his personal problems or being a hypocrate. He makes good music, it doesn't mean he has to be interesting or even be a good person and personally, I really don't care. I'm not a fan of the person, I'm a fan of the music. Not just in Matt's case, in every band/musician's case.

Oh I know, my last comment was directed to oneeighty. I think you expressed your opinion as it is, an opinion as opposed to the contempt I felt coming from oneeighty. If one's a fan of his music, one doesn't have to invariably be a fan of his writing and vica versa. ;)

After reading a few blogs it got me thinking....the band used to make fun of me fer hangin' out in skid bars. They would rather do the "Single malt scotch and cigars" crowd....the "plastic people". Now it's seems to come 180!!! The "real" people are the freaks....like me. I remember leaving The Who show that we did at GM place half way thru their set and goin' to the American Hotel[NOTORIOUS skid bar] fer a $2 pint.Just felt more comfortable there.

Matt's just comin' 'round to my way of thinkin' ;)

Don't read too much into this.

Edited by the old guy

I'll admit, I've started reading Matts blogs lately. Sometimes they're really interesting. Sometimes, not so much. But I continue to read them and will probably continue to read them.I find it hard to bitch about something that I choose to do. It's like smokers that bitch about smoking and say that they wish they could just quit. if you're not happy with something that you choose to do, then just don't do it!

A word from Matt himself:

First, Skinner, dude, we emailed back and forth a bit, I've just been out of it. As always, email me any time jackass!

I guess because this is supposed to be a fan site, I might as well write this here.

First, the flight to Vegas was a Christmas present from my friend Jeff Legreca who lives here. In fact, he got both Merle and I tickets because we've not been doing well lately and he thought us coming down here might take our minds off things.

Given the fact that Merle's father is seriously ill and could very well succumb to his illness at any time, he did not come. His mother is also sick, so he had to take her to appointments.

As for myself. I take a variety of pills every day because I am bipolar, which is something I just recently found out about, and is a very real and, frankly, a very scary thing to deal with. I have always suffered from anxiety, but when I was in the hospital in October, and almost lost my life, it was discovered that the anti-depression medication that I was on had helped reveal various bipolar symptoms. So I was lucky enough to start dealing with that. Add on top of that what's happened in my personal life this year, of which any of you know maybe 2% of the reality of its harshness, almost losing my brother to a rare blood disorder, and dealing with financial and medical problems in my own family. That's been the reality of my year.

Is it as bad as millions besides have suffered elsewhere, or even by the people who live on the streets outside my front door? No, though I would never wish what's happened to me personally this year on my worst enemy.

But let me ask you this. Who are you to say that you do not ignore the plights of those same people, unless you give 100% of your money to charity, live in a hut, donate all of your time, are completely selfless, and have zero personal problems ? Though if you did you'd never dare speak of them because there are those worse off.

I'll tell you something. I get a lot of emails from people that thank me for getting them interested in activism, be it human rights or some other area. But I also get a lot of emails from people all over the world that suffer from depression and other problems that know that it's not something that's "made up" or "easy to handle". My ex-wife was like that. She just thought I should be fine, that it was all a matter of willpower, and let me tell you: defeating a chemical imbalance in your brain is not a matter of willpower.

The one thing you have to remember when it comes to a lot of the blog, and references to drinking and anything that one might call "Bukowskian", is that it's fiction interspersed with reality, which is something I do for a living. My blog is no different when it comes to entries like that.

Am I looking for sympathy? To be honest with you guys, the fact that even one of you thinks that totally offends me. When I write something personal it's because, at that moment, I feel it important to share. Being an artist doesn't stop and start with you just listening to CD's. I see art in everything, in lust and love, in all possible aspects of life. To not translate them would be, as an artist, a lie. Self censorship is just the weakness displayed by those that worry about how they'll look, and in the end what does that matter? If something I've written over the last few months has kept one kid from shoving a handful of pills in their mouth, then it was worth it, and some of you can think what you like. The difference between us is that you have not been placed in a position of responsibility with regards to things of that nature. There was a time when I could have run from it, to ignore it and not cared. I chose the opposite and have to live with that decision and being involved and listening and worrying and being open.

There is no separating the man from the music. Without the man there is no music. Without all of the uncomfortable, sticky, bothersome quirks there simply would not be creativity. There is no such thing as the creation of something without the loss of something else, most importantly something inward. That is simply the truth of it.

even though, in his most recent post, Matt said "the double album is definately out. I'll end up with about 13 tracks"

people are still leaving comments like this

"13(ish) tracks on TWO discs, is an extended version cover of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida involved somewhere?"

I find that pretty funny

The comment someone left about him just yodeling and using an accordion and making a new genre really made me laugh. I just wonder what's going through Matt's head when he reads that stuff.

probably just a tiny bit of pity for the person that tried so hard to be funny and failed miserably.