Matt

What Are You Reading?

I've heard of her, I will give her a read as well. Thanks Mrs. Jesus.

you'll probably like it, since you fancy yourself some kinda ladies man. there are a lot of hot pickup lines and whatnot.

seriously, though, you gotta suspend disbelief. and the books are HUGE. i think they're all over 800 pages and there are 7 of them - so far. i've been reading them since june, and i'm just now on the most recent one. granted, it just recently came out, but still. they're a commitment. she's a good writer and as far as i know, her historical details are mostly accurate, and on top of that it's just a good fucking story overall. a fucking massive one, but still really good.

I don't mind the big books at all. I read pretty fast. I will pick up one next weekend when I go to the B&N. David McCollough's books are massive, like the potter books only not as exciting, but still good. I will let you know what I think.

I don't really fancy myself a ladies man. I just know how to treat them. It goes further than being a jackass.

Edited by bishopx

Books I've finished in the last month or so:

Fitzgerald's Tender Is the Night. Not as good as The Great Gatsby, but still solid. Slow in places, but the ending is fantastic (as is often the case with the 'classics.')

Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. Educational, enlightening, and accessable. Nothing went "over my head" so to speak, and I actually feel like I have a slightly better grasp on Quantum theory now, which is one of my main areas of curiosity outside of my studied fields.

Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion and A Devil's Chaplain. Both convincing, well-measured, and compelling. Dawkins is definitely one of my favourite authors ever and his scientific insight and positioning on societal issues speaks to me very closely. These two are books to treasure.

And I'm 80% done Nobokov's Lolita. SO fantastic. It's creepy, touching, and makes you question the reality of 'love.' There are so many passages that just make your heart ache with romance and affection...and then you realize they're written by an old man to a 14 year old and it really fucks with you.

Edited by Prometheon

These bunnies are cunning and violent when they need to be.

One of my favorite kids novels is "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles". You should read that too.

i've never even heard of that.

My first completed manuscript. YAY!!!

how do you have time to write a manuscript? seems like you'd be really tired after all that ass you're constantly fighting off because you're so desirable you can't go out in public without panties droppin, the wooing of the lady, your amazing job, your memories of the ghetto, all that sucking up you do around here...

i mean i got tired just typing that shit.

Wow, Mrs. Jesus...you make me sound legendary. No one else here on that level but you. Simple answer, when I'm at home alone in the evenings, I'm writing. I've been churning out some of the most amazing stuff over the last month or so. I clocked in at 435 pages. I'm doing some loose editing and adjusting, because I'm a perfectionist...but I've already started work on the second book on the series.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins. I like, but it's nothing really revolutionary at this point in time and it's clearly geared towards a general audience since he goes into little detail. Though I would imagine if he went into too much detail there would likely be lawsuits.. anyone else read it or get a hold of his newer one Hoodwinked?

I just finished Vonnegut's "Welcome to the Monkey House" collection of short stories. Something about his writing style, satire and science-fiction lets me really enjoy everything he writes.

I just picked up Richler's "The Apprenticeship Of Duddy Kravitz" which my dad recommended that I read, as he read it when he was around my age.