Crusader

H1n1 Awareness Thread

Know the Difference between a Cold and H1N1 Flu Symptoms:

SYMPTOM / FEVER

- Fever is rare with a cold.

- Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases.

- A temperature of 100 F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the H1N1 flu.

SYMPTOM / COUGHING

- A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold.

- A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the H1N1 flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

SYMPTOM / ACHES

- Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.

- Severe aches and pains are common with the H1N1 flu.

SYMPTOM / STUFFY NOSE

- Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.

- Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the H1N1 flu.

SYMPTOM / CHILLS

- Chills are uncommon with a cold.

- 60% of people who have the H1N1 flu experience chills.

SYMPTOM / TIREDNESS

- Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.

- Tiredness is moderate to severe with the H1N1 flu.

SYMPTOM / SNEEZING

- Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.

- Sneezing is not common with the H1N1 flu.

SUDDEN SYMPTOMS

Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.

The H1N1 flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

• Headache
    A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.
    A headache is very common with the H1N1 flu, present in 80% of flu cases.
  • Sore Throat
    Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.
    Sore throat is not commonly present with the H1N1 flu.
  • Chest Discomfort
    Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.
    Chest discomfort is often severe with the H1N1 flu.

;) COUGH INTO YOUR ELBOWS AND WASH YOUR HANDS. WHILE THIS DOESN'T PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING H1N1, IT KEEPS YOU FROM SPREADING IT! :angry:

I've known several people who've had it and apparently it's not any worse than a regular flu. Just media scares is all.

If you are concerned, go out and get it now so that if it mutates and gets worse your body will have a little extra resistance to it.

I've known several people who've had it and apparently it's not any worse than a regular flu. Just media scares is all.

If you are concerned, go out and get it now so that if it mutates and gets worse your body will have a little extra resistance to it.

Regular flu doesn't require ventilators. Health Canada is pretty worried about it, the original post was circulating around there, so it might not all be just media fluff. Most people get the mild cases where you can just go home. The problem is all the other idiots who have it but keep coming to work or school and get everyone else infected during midterm/paper time. Yep, I hate coughing people!

If you are a hockey player, get the shot immediately. All the cool kids are doing it.

Fuck, I hated hockey long before this...

lol, I totally agree. even some crap sports teams are getting vaccinated first. Stephen Harper better be the last person to get inoculated.

i was diagnosed with acute bronchitis today. puffer 4x and day for a month.

this swine business is out of hand. people are confusing regular seasonal ailments with the swine and making a big deal out of it (probs why h1n1 symptoms are compared to cold/flu symptoms, for the dumb people). and those who are actually sick aren't staying home from class/work/the general public partially because they are dumb but also because they can't. not to say this is okay, but there are some classes i cannot afford to miss, nor could i pass up more than a shift a week if i wanted to feed myself come payday.

it is blown out of proportion. but i think there's a motive: blow things out of proportion, and more people will rush to get vaccinated. now i'm not saying that this is the government's motivation, or even "the man's," it could simply be something that appeals to everyday people who are fearful of the "hini."

"oh no! there's a shortage of vaccines! i'd better get mine quick!!!"

the government knows full well how many people there are in the country, and they've said countless times that there's enough to go around. meanwhile, rumours of shortages abound. i think it's a very persuasive way to make sure people get vaccinated. i don't think it's a "conspiracy" but i do think hype is too tempting a tool for people to not use. plus, if you have longer time to think about it, you might think twice about getting something with mercury injected into your body.

pregnant women, one of the target groups for the "hini" can get their vaccine without mercury for some reason, while the rest of us have to settle for it. if the efficacy of a vaccine is the same without an ingredient, one that's proven to be pretty harmful on its own, then why do we need it in the first place?

The way people line up for the H1N1 vaccine, you'd think they'd just announced the surprise early release of Playstation 4.

Guess what Santa's bringing for Christmas, kids!

Just going out on a limb, but I'm guessing alcoholic beverages may give the same benefits as gargling with saltwater or drinking hot drinks. It's just not the kind of thing a doctor can publicly recommend to ward off something that's already got people freaked out. Get some boozed-up coffee and you'll be doing grand.

Edited by Morglor9

i was diagnosed with acute bronchitis today. puffer 4x and day for a month.

this swine business is out of hand. people are confusing regular seasonal ailments with the swine and making a big deal out of it (probs why h1n1 symptoms are compared to cold/flu symptoms, for the dumb people). and those who are actually sick aren't staying home from class/work/the general public partially because they are dumb but also because they can't. not to say this is okay, but there are some classes i cannot afford to miss, nor could i pass up more than a shift a week if i wanted to feed myself come payday.

sick people should at least wear masks so we can avoid them and make them feel like outcasts!

it is blown out of proportion. but i think there's a motive: blow things out of proportion, and more people will rush to get vaccinated. now i'm not saying that this is the government's motivation, or even "the man's," it could simply be something that appeals to everyday people who are fearful of the "hini."

"oh no! there's a shortage of vaccines! i'd better get mine quick!!!"

the government knows full well how many people there are in the country, and they've said countless times that there's enough to go around. meanwhile, rumours of shortages abound. i think it's a very persuasive way to make sure people get vaccinated. i don't think it's a "conspiracy" but i do think hype is too tempting a tool for people to not use. plus, if you have longer time to think about it, you might think twice about getting something with mercury injected into your body.

pregnant women, one of the target groups for the "hini" can get their vaccine without mercury for some reason, while the rest of us have to settle for it. if the efficacy of a vaccine is the same without an ingredient, one that's proven to be pretty harmful on its own, then why do we need it in the first place?

It's all precautionary. And it's all mostly B.S. The H1N1 isn't going to be some widespread death-flu. It's not the black plague. It's not even SARS. It's just a severe form of the flu, and the media has jumped all over it. Unless you're in a high risk group there's little to worry about.

Doctors on TV said it can't mutate any more unless it gets back into an animal, mutates, then goes back to humans, which at this point they say is insanely unlikely. They also said it won't mutate while within humans. Just wash your hands you'll all be fine. fuck.

you might think twice about getting something with mercury injected into your body.

Ok, I have to say this for the second time today.

There is only Hg in the multidose vial version of the injection. The amount the injection carries is 25 ug/0.5ml, that is 0.05ppm 100x less than the Hg in a tuna sandwich. The Hg is ethyl-mercury, which is none prescient in the human body and not linked with any debilitating conditions. Hg is present as a stabilizing element needed in the multidose because of the multiple insertion of syringes. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0725?hub=Health and http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5839a3.htm#tab.

Pregnant women are offered an adjuvant free vaccine. The adjuvant is an immune booster and independent of the thimerosal which contains Hg.

There has been some conspiracy mudslinging about this thing being a good test-bed for the pandemic plans built for real threats. That being the case, it would explain some of the government and media fervor.

Anyway, here's a graph of fatalities from various causes stacked up againt H1N1 over a 300 day period. Assuming this is anywhere near accurate, it does put things in perspective, even ignoring the demographic and geographic overlays that could have been included but were not... Taking it all literally and without salt, you're about equally likely to die of leprosy, though that number will obviously climb as the virus spreads. You're 179 times more likely to die in a car accident. Etc, etc....it's been a while now since this thing was created, so it's certainly no longer accurate, if it ever was....but it's interesting, I guess.

Graphydoodle

Health Canada hasn't been tracking H1N1 since August, they just lumped it in with the regular flu months ago. Of course people over 65, under 5, or with immune system deficiencies are high risk groups - they are for any type of flu. Hell, they are for most diseases.

Health Canada - 1, media craze/frenzied populace - 0.

I had to get the vaccine because I work in a major hospital and I deal with infection and crap all day. I had to get tested for different masks because sometimes I have to go to the ER to help with procedures and you never know what they have.

We treat H1N1 just like all the other contagious stuff, just that it's so widespread we have to be even more cautious. We have full wards that are closed off just for isolations for this. It's pretty serious.

Just going out on a limb, but I'm guessing alcoholic beverages may give the same benefits as gargling with saltwater or drinking hot drinks. It's just not the kind of thing a doctor can publicly recommend to ward off something that's already got people freaked out. Get some boozed-up coffee and you'll be doing grand.

Black rum, rinse and swallow 12 times daily. Works like a charm.

But in all seriousness, I've heard a figure that something like 200-300 people might die in this wave (anyone else hear that? I know this looks bad without having a source but I can't remember where it came from). Put that up against other figures for the same time period (a la the graphydoodle) and it's rather insignificant. In no way am I trying to trivialize 300 deaths, but I don't think it warrants the frenzy that it going on right now.

I'm fully content in waiting for my vaccine for a long while yet, I'm in no rush. Mostly the only reason I am going to get it is for the sake of my grandmother who I'm living with until Christmas.