mgb4life2

Bad Guys Win Video

Not too many subtle undertones with this one. I remember him posting this demo after the election and liking it immediately. The album version sounds bloody great. Everything about this album has me excited so far.

Very excited for this album.  Also love the return of the kind of silent movie style music videos like Apparitions where a story is told through the visuals.  I'm surprised to see a release this soon, have they even finished recording the album? I was thinking it'd probably be a fall release date, but releasing this in April makes me think maybe we'll get it sooner.  

Thanks for the clarification on that.  Makes sense to strike while the iron is hot. Evidently you aren't the only musician doing this Roger Waters just released a single off his first new album in 25 years dealing with many of the same themes very Animals/Wish You Were Here like.  I know sometimes there is pushback from people preferring the demos, but this feels like such a natural progression from the demo.  I've only heard it a few times so far but I find it superior to the demo version.  Good luck finishing this record up.  I'll be anxiously waiting whenever it may come out.  

Edited to add, it seems Warner is treating you pretty good, and I'm glad to see them supporting your direction and backing you up in a way it seems you haven't been backed in a decade or more.  

Edited by adam_777
  • Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

You want a visit from the secret service? Because this is exactly how you get a visit from the secret service.  :siren: 

All jokes aside I loved it, coming from someone who may even disagree with a few points in the video (Bigfoot needs to be extradited). I imagine this video will blow up because of the subject matter, it's a calmer comical take on everything that's happened so far in the world and I can appreciate the viewpoint this is meant to be watched in. But at the end of the day, either the left will love this or the right will haaaate this. Art can come with consequences & this is no new territory for Matt, it's his playground. 

BUT, I think the real meaning behind this video is Warner's secret hate for shrimp, because I don't know how the hell I'm suppose to ever eat them again.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but bad guys do. - Scott Hall

Catchy tune!  Clearly this song about the Leafs winning the other night, so I understand the rush to release.  I kid...

Thanks for posting the lyrics Matt.  Warner seems to have been really supportive the last 2 records with the videos, nice to see in this age.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

I like the Post-it note and darts part. There sure is a strong correlation to Trump. Warner took a few risks with this one. I was a little surprised. I like that. The dial tone at the end was a nice touch too. It reminded me of the ending of the Apparitions video. Nice job, Warner!

Edited by girl

Ha. Very suprising Matt had nothing to do with this, Warner def did their homework on this. Right up Matt's alley.

Love the overall sound of this engineering-wise. Great tune. A number of first releases on Matt's recordings

have ended up not being my favourites for some reason, but this one I really like! Bodes well possibly. Having said that, there is rarely a track ever that I would think of as substandard for Matt. He can virtually do no wrong in my books.

It was Bones on the EP.

It is Bones with Blake and Stu in the studio on this? Or even Matt on bass?

I really like this song. I've been listening to it a lot since yesterday, and it keeps growing on me. There's so much going on musically on this track. I love the guitar especially in the song.

There's obviously a good reason to release this song now, and it's really great.

Can't speak about specific songs, but I believe it is Peter Fusco doing bass.  He has been in many of Matt's instagram pictures and videos and when I talked to him at the final Commodore show in Van he was very enthusiastic about how the record was coming and was quite excited for the fans to get to hear it.  So I'm just assuming he is doing bass duties on most if not all tracks.  

• Upvote 1

I dunno, the U2-ish sounds might turn me off a bit (U2 isn't bad, they just don't really do anything for me) and some of the vocals sound a little bland to me, but I quite like the "Stood still, let my memory quit" parts, especially at the end.  The intro and outro sounds are pretty coolio too, something different for MG.

When I started writing Bad Guys Win my major influence vocally was Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows". I wasn't focused on catchy melodies, my focus was on the lyrical content. I went through probably 9 or 10 different musical treatments of the song before arriving at the final version. Initially, it was probably 20 or more bpm slower and there were no B sections - or what people are labelling the chorus. The song doesn't actually have a chorus, simply a resolve to represent the conclusion of the lyrical statement.

Interesting...thx for the insight into the origins of the song!

When I started writing Bad Guys Win my major influence vocally was Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows". I wasn't focused on catchy melodies, my focus was on the lyrical content. I went through probably 9 or 10 different musical treatments of the song before arriving at the final version. Initially, it was probably 20 or more bpm slower and there were no B sections - or what people are labelling the chorus. The song doesn't actually have a chorus, simply a resolve to represent the conclusion of the lyrical statement.

What made you go faster? Just the inspiration or you were angry?