crthiel

Anyone know why the Matt Good subreddit went private?

So,

I just saw Hayley's newest IG story which was a post from someone else.  The person "claims" that Matt gave her HPV.   Now this is a pretty damning claim and if true and he did give her this and is knowing sleeping with many others it could be huge. (google Nushawn Williams)   Now do I personally think Matt gave anyone HPV knowingly?  No I so not.  But this claim and the one from the girl claiming to be 17 (under age) are pretty damning and would likely do the most damage.   

1 hour ago, Williammunny11 said:

but if the only thing he's guilty of is being a narcissitic womanizer

The problem here is this: for a lot of people, this is enough, if only because of the nature of MG's art.

A lot of his most ardent fans are women who have suffered their own mental illness battles and/or traumas, who listened to MG's music and felt like they were being heard. They found solace in someone who seemed to understand their experiences.

Instead, and I'm paraphrasing what specific fans have said in the wake of these revelations: they're learning that MG is the kind of person who perpetuates the kind of behavior that drove them to listen to his music in the first place. (Especially with all of the women who've come forward in the last couple of days telling similar stories about his behavior.)

For a lot of those people, it's a betrayal. These are people who felt deeply connected to him - many of whom, for example, had tattoos of his name and/or lyrics on their bodies.

I don't think we're going to come to any kind of consensus here, and, barring some kind of huge media coverage, I doubt MG will be completely cancelled. It's going to end up being a matter of personal choice.

The key to stanching the damage is for MG to speak up and say something, take personal responsibility. He didn't do that four years ago, and, to be completely honest, I'm skeptical that he'll do it now.

Edited by uglyredhonda
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, uglyredhonda said:

The problem here is this: for a lot of people, this is enough, if only because of the nature of MG's art.

A lot of his most ardent fans are women who have suffered their own mental illness battles and/or traumas, who listened to MG's music and felt like they were being heard. They found solace in someone who seemed to understand their experiences.

Instead, and I'm paraphrasing what specific fans have said in the wake of these revelations: they're learning that MG is the kind of person who perpetuates the kind of behavior that drove them to listen to his music in the first place. (Especially with all of the women who've come forward in the last couple of days telling similar stories about his behavior.)

For a lot of those people, it's a betrayal. These are people who felt deeply connected to him - many of whom, for example, had tattoos of his name and/or lyrics on their bodies.

I don't think we're going to come to any kind of consensus here, and, barring some kind of huge media coverage, I doubt MG will be completely cancelled. It's going to end up being a matter of personal choice.

The key to stanching the damage is for MG to speak up and say something, take personal responsibility. He didn't do that four years ago, and, to be completely honest, I'm skeptical that he'll do it now.

That’s a point I hadn’t considered—very well said.

23 minutes ago, foats said:

So,

I just saw Hayley's newest IG story which was a post from someone else.  The person "claims" that Matt gave her HPV.   Now this is a pretty damning claim and if true and he did give her this and is knowing sleeping with many others it could be huge. (google Nushawn Williams)   Now do I personally think Matt gave anyone HPV knowingly?  No I so not.  But this claim and the one from the girl claiming to be 17 (under age) are pretty damning and would likely do the most damage.   

FYI: HPV and HIV aren't the same thing. HPV is insanely common, and is generally seen at its worst as something that can lead to cancer later in life, specifically cervical cancer. It would be very difficult (though not impossible) for any sexually-active person to be able to specifically cite where a case of HPV was contracted, considering how few men in general are tested for it (and it can be life-long asymptomatic).

I hope that wasn't the key part of that story, because that's starting to get away from the heart of the problem.

Edited by uglyredhonda
  • Upvote 1

I've known Matt close to 25 years. It's no surprise to me. I've heard stories from people close to the situation, that he's a womanizer. A friend went to the Las Vegas meet up and told me shortly after, that Matt was openly asking women present to join him in his room (even ones with boyfriends.) I don't wish to pile on, he's clearly going through a lot with 2x divorce/alimony payments and limited visitation rights with his kids, but what caused me to back off over the last ten years, was his total lack of accountability/blaming impulsive decisions on mental illness. Which, Imo, is reprehensible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, uglyredhonda said:

FYI: HPV and HIV aren't the same thing. HPV is insanely common, and is generally seen at its worst as something that can lead to cancer later in life, specifically cervical cancer. It would be very difficult (though not impossible) for any sexually-active person to be able to specifically cite where a case of HPV was contracted, considering how few men in general are tested for it (and it can be life-long asymptomatic).

I hope that wasn't the key part of that story, because that's starting to get away from the heart of the problem.

I know it's not the same and it's definitely not the key part. The key part was another person coming forward.  All the stories sound the same. Could there be truth to them? Possibly.  I'd still feel more comfortable hearing Matt's side 

22 minutes ago, Idioteque said:

Only reason I even care is because I went through this situation when he was with his wife. 

My gf at the time in 2012 would actively meet up with him while he was married, and when I found out we broke up and I had to deal with our friendship get destroyed within a year because she'd actively email his wife and stalk him at shows to the point she was permanently banned, she'd even make shrines of him and I couldn't listen to his music for years or talk to her. If you could ask her now about her life back then I think she'd even tell you that she wasn't mentally well and went far, but now has a child and a family turning life into a diamonds. 

But she still knew he was a married man, he knew he was married.

He's an asshole, she's an asshole, I'm an asshole.  But we are all adults and at the end of the day responsible for our own choices.

But if we are going to start burning our records for every artist that's slept with fans/cheated/been pieces of shit, we might as well never listen to music ever again from Elvis all the way to Jada Smith. 

Any time we have a connection with an actor in a movie, singer in a song, we want them to be everything their not EVEN if they sing about "I'm faithful, I'm a good person!" we can never know what happens behind closed doors and in relationships.

We will always find things to feel betrayed about in the people we look up to because we try to make our idols "perfect" so we don't focus on our own flaws, when they are no different than us peasants in the real world.

Isn't the age of consent in Canada 16? Because if it's 18 and he was with a 17 year old then that's a problem, if not then we are dealing with a creepy situation that might make our skin crawl.. but illegal? We need facts.

I'll be the first to burn my records with you all if he ends up being a monster but there needs to be more information than private groups and out-of-context stories. We shouldn't live in a day in age where victims feel like FB or IG is their only platform to speak which is why I urge anyone that's felt hurt by Matthew Good, or me, or someone you know, or if you know someone that's been hurt please talk to them, go the authorities and make everything official.

I hate to bring up old memories but how did your ex even get in contact with Matt to meet with him so often?  Not sure Canada's age of consent but most US states have it at 18. 

5 minutes ago, Idioteque said:

Foats, they met during the making of "Lights" but I won't get into specifics due to her anonymity and Matt & his friends would instantly know who it is, and she could even be someone that's in the FB group chat telling her story too which she has all rights to do. But I knew about none of it while it happened, and had to find out through emails/pictures and it honestly sucked, piecing together why she'd leave some days and/or not respond to me. One of my best friends on this site GIRL helped me go through alot of that back in the day but I still feel bad about how much of it I had to keep silent. There's a long list of people who can become "victims" over crap like this. Relationships get ruined, friendships get broken and there's not much coming back from it emotionally. The frustrating part here is Matt not realizing how far down the roots he can cause damages.

Not to take anything away from the real victims but I lost somebody I loved, I watched them go through something pretty traumatic on top of their own life falling apart. The only reason I brought it up because there's always 2 sides to a story and sometimes more from different perspectives. This entire topic sucks, it sucks for me and it sucks for everyone who dealt with this back in the day. It's why ALL parties need to be heard including him.

I am sorry you dealt with all of that.  Most of you know, some might not, I am in the US and years and years ago paid a great deal of $$ for at the time rare MGB concerts.  I loved the band and Matt. I've been lucky to enough to see Matt twice in rooms of 30 ppl and maybe 15.   One was full band one was acoustic.  I've met him a few times and he has always been great with me.

The sad thing about this is there is no happy ending. One one hand Matt is extremely lucky that he didn't catch the rage of a jealous boyfriend or husband.  On the other hand, Karma is real and one day his kids may decide to google his name and may see a lot of things that children should never have to deal with about their parents.  And for that my heart truly breaks. 

C'mon now kids you ain't a star unless you've got a #metoo cancel culture campaign literally burning a hole in your social media inboxes...

... Anyway onto my blip blabbin' because, well, I can and I never get too serious on here... but I guess one time I'll be honest with my personal opinions because ABOVE ALL Matthew Good fans are a hardcore group the likes of which I rarely see for many other artist. All the most dedicated fans that I talk to here or at shows or just whenever day to day are always smart, friendly and respectable. I admire this greatly in all of you and I think because of that I'm willing to be more honest with you all this one time.

I only state this preamble because I am what some might lazily paint as "extremely right-wing". I assure you the images of tiki-torch rally numb nuts and and "veins popping on skull as I yell at you" info outlets are just easy to sensationalize and not a real representation, though.

With that in mind, personally speaking, PC culture absolutely sickens me. It's nothing but weakness exemplified. All I hear about these days are people's god damned HURT FEELINGS and why I need to assuage their terrified existence in a world that owes us all nothing. Yeah, shitty things happen. Thankfully for truly egregious acts of harm there IS repercussion in the form of law and order because for the most part we are indeed all very civil and want to be at peace so we agree to the social contract.

The fire we currently have burning at our beloved Matthew Good's feet is, for us most hardcore of fans, not entirely shocking to hear about. People talk, rumors fly, whispers fall on attentive ears, blah blah blah. This shit is all nothing new. BUT I think both out of our adoration of the man's talent AND respect for his personal life (a long standing MG purist's unspoken vow) we don't pay much heed. Some might call it a sweeping under the carpet. Or a willful ignorance. Or at worse pure sycophantic worship. But this is really about a COMPLETE STRANGERS PERSONAL LIFE! I am neither interested in condoning OR commend his, or anyone's actions. I am only interested in judging my own life based on my personal morals and sensibilities. this "event" is no exception.

I'm sorry to say that I do believe that our beloved MG probably did in fact really cause some discernible amount emotional harm to women he's been "involved" with in various capacities. That sucks for anyone to be abused in that sense, and if I could wave my magic armchair quarterback wand and make everyone happy I would (okay not really, suffering is the difficult part of growth and self-awareness). But it's the sudden "cancel culture" pile on that absolutely sickens me as a WEAK HUMAN FEELINGS RESPONSE because the world was literally exactly as you know it for the last X amount of years this has gone on quietly in the background. Hey, guess what... Phil Spector fuckin' KILLED SOMEONE! But to refuse to listen to "Be My Baby" or The Beatles "Let It Be" unless its the "Let It Be... Naked" alternate mixes "BECAUSE THE BAD MAN'S STRING ARRANGEMENTS ARE GONE AND I HAVE CANCELLED HIM!" is so disconnected from reality that it hurts. Why is it so hard for people to accept that a piece of art is no longer the artist?

Somewhere in my large spectrum of musical tastes, I am POSITIVE, given the sheer amount of people involved, that I listen to the music of a violent serial rapist. I have no idea who. But I wouldn't be shocked to find out. Maybe I inadvertently even HELPED this person accomplish their nefarious deeds through my support! Not a pleasant thought at all... but it's so outside of my control and power that i can't realistically be concerned. If it turned out it was Freddie Mercury... I would still listen to Queen. It'd be more fucked up thinking of the artist now, sure, but the music didn't do anything in and of itself.

"PUT YOUR EARMUFFS ON BILLY! GARY GLITTER IS ON AND HE'S GONNA RAPE YOU IF YOU HEAR A SINGLE 'HEY'!"

Quite frankly the most off-putting thing to me has been the heavy handed PC libtarded drivel he's really championed in the last 4 years. god DAMN Trump (who I support, just an FYI, so you can feel justified to ignore me completely ?) did some weeeeeeiiirrrddd shit to people's brains...

Granted, I really love the new album and going back to more political, socially observant lyrics. I don't have to completely agree with something to like it, you know...

In summation, "cancelling" someone over being a shitty partner is pretty god damn stupid. I'm sick of hurt feelings and the empty heads that are going to jump down my throat for not being compassionate. I'm sorry but I really think he gets away with shit because he's a "rock star" and some people thought he was still worth pursuing despite obvious signs that you should dump the guy just like if he was average joe six-pack. It's ugly, but it's life. I'm not here to shit on anyone on either side, but clearly someone made a choice to air their dirty laundry in public.

Matthew Good, if you ever read this, you might be a dick, but you're far from a horrible person and you deserve better than this nonsense to be a topic of public forum debate. (yes I know I'm part of the problem in this moment but the house is already on fire)

Thank you everyone, I'll be here for the long haul!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Cancel culture" is a right-wing myth. No one ever gets 100% cancelled, for all of the reasons you just said - there will always be people who will support the person no matter what. Even Michael Jackson still had (and has) huge fans, despite all of his insane behavior and everything that he was accused of.

What you're seeing here isn't "cancel culture". It's people commiserating about what people have learned about the guy, and deciding for themselves that those things are enough to ruin their fandom. Right or wrong, the MG community will be smaller no matter what happens from here on out.

The open question here is if it's enough to do real damage to his career.

9 minutes ago, THE MAN said:

This IS cancel-culture in action. It's not some magical wave washing over us. Its a personal choice being made by individuals happening in real time.

Yup. Totally agree. Cancel culture is very real and was created by people like Matt.... constantly preaching about his left wing virtues. Love his music! 

• Like 1

No one is somehow personally removing or cancelling anyone from anything on behalf of the masses.

It's about a social climate that promotes this as individuals. That we should factor behavior that is harmful in some way to others caused by an artist INTO part of our personal preferences and tastes in regards to pieces of their art.

This is what is happening, right now. And I don't believe this is rational whatsoever. This is political correctness taken to newer, more unnecessary heights. Because with it's idealistic promotion in mainstream culture, the natural human response is "what's next!?". Therefore the longer it goes on, the further it has to go to satisfy our natural impulses.

It's called the overton window, dear lads. It's not pretty but it's just all human nature. ALL of this!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, uglyredhonda said:

"Cancel culture" is a right-wing myth.

Uh, think you mean left wing. 

Matt has no influence these days to 'cancel' anyone either. Not that I think he'd ever want to.

Lastly, if you read the manifestos in the 90s, or were a part of Lenny's massage (sic) board, these emails are the same Matt we knew back then. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Millstone said:

Uh, think you mean left wing.

"Cancel culture" is the idea that there's a giant cabal of like-minded people that can single-handedly end a person's career. It's a myth, and it's repeatedly spread by right-wing media to criticize "out of control" left-wing politics.

The truth is more nuanced. As we've already talked about here, the real question is how much of your audience you lose through inappropriate behavior, and if that's enough to drop you below the tipping point under which you're no longer marketable.

MG has lost fans here. He didn't lose them all, and, so far, he's not getting "cancelled" for anything.

PS: you guys should take notice of how few women are posting here now.

4 hours ago, THE MAN said:

It's called the overton window, dear lads. It's not pretty but it's just all human nature. ALL of this!

I'm not sure where you learned about the Overton Window, but that's not how it works. The Overton Window represents the area in which conventionally popular political views lie. It goes in both directions - it can shift to the left or to the right over time - but it predominantly represents the positions that politicians can support without flying afoul of popular society.

The idea that it's a liberal mechanism to kill "unpopular" thought is a lie perpetuated by right-wing media and personalities.

• Like 1

All of these women received exactly what they asked for, 15 minutes of fame or a fun story to tell their girlfriend's about the night they slept with/gave oral sex to a washed up rock star.

I doubt any of us have exes who would give our last relationships a squeaky clean record. If every guy who cheated on his wife/girlfriend, whatever, was in jail, there would be no room left for actual criminals.

He preyed on these women, that's a fact. He's a piece of shit, that's a fact. He sold t-shirts saying as much, most of you probably bought one.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Hello everyone,

In the interest of transparency, we have let the discussions here continue unhindered but please try to be civil.

We very much understand that these are quite stressful and trying times but we ask that posters please stop making personal attacks against each other. If you want to insult each other then take that elsewhere.

Please feel free to use the report button if you see any violations of this, this option is available in the forums and in private messaging. Posters can also opt to ignore/block each other through the profile screen.

This is the only warning we will be giving out in regards to personal attacks.

We would also like to ask that posters refrain from posting any of their personal assumptions on what the intentions are of the parties involved in these very serious allegations and that you do not post anyone’s personal information.

Thank you.

FYI: Some posts were removed at the request of the posters who made them.

Edited by Crusader
Updated to note user requested edits
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi everyone, I'm still reeling from this news so excuse me if this seems jumbled. I appreciate most everyone being civil on here. The fan group on Facebook that closed down the other day became extremely toxic and personally triggered my past that I didn't want to ever think about. Hayley's IG post could've been written by me about my past relationship (not with Matt), so I absolutely understand and believe her. For someone to say on this forum that he is far from a horrible person is just wrong, plain and simple. Someone doesn't have to do something technically illegal to be a deplorable human being. When someone is controlled and made to feel like they are worthless or stupid or like they are going crazy..... or pressured to do something that they aren't comfortable with but are made to feel if they don't they wont be loved or yelled at, it's wrong and a horrible way to live. Believe me, it's not so easy to leave when you're too embarrassed to tell anyone what's happening and you're scared. You also start believing what that person is telling you. 

I personally know of someone in the private victims group on FB and can confirm her story is true.

What's bothersome is his admission and giving himself a pass because of being bi polar and being a musician, that's a cop out. To this date, he doesn't feel he has done anything wrong and doesnt feel the need to get help. 

It's not about him being a cheater or just a dick in general. It's about manipulation and screwing with people's minds which is just f**ked. That will do a life time of damage, believe me. That man that mentally abused me 12 years ago still has some control over me. When I think about it, I still feel that sickening nauseous scared feeling and so will some of those girls that are coming forward. 

I'm sorry this happens to anyone. NO ONE deserves that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2