Tim

New Video

There seems to be a problem with the news page, so I suppose I'll post this tidbit here and skip the usual process.

The video for “It’s Been A While Since I Was Your Man” was added into heavy rotation on MuchMore Music this week. MuchMusic proper will only be featuring the video.

Unfortunately the new single is not being received well by rock radio stations throughout the country resulting in the release of “In Love With A Bad Idea” next week to help comply with ever narrowing format requirements.

I must be getting old. (?)

From MG.ORG

Well, I knew this would happen. Alert Status Red did so well on the radio because it was catchy, it had a hook, and it was just a sans-gimmick, fun rocker. The sly, ironic lyrics didn't hurt either.

Been a While is also a good song, but it simply does not spell out "single" to me. What he should have done is release Bad Idea as the video and Been a While as the "secondary" single for adult contemporary radio stations.

No Matt, you're not getting old, but you're not as famous as you used to be. You can't just put out whatever you want and expect everyone to accept it. You have to sometimes give in to what you think people want to hear. So if you're surprised that the single isn't being well-accepted... well, maybe you shouldn't be.

Edited by Poprocks

Nowhere in his post does he sound like he's going to put out whatever he wants and expect people to accept it.

It sounds more like he's not too surprised so they're trying something else. Matt has always been very forward with his thoughts about how his music is received. The general attitude is "this is what I'm doing now, I hope you like it and if not, maybe next time."

I don't think putting out a single that he thinks everyone wants to hear is the answer. We have enough of those around. And no, he's not as famous as he used to be, but he has a large, loyal fan base and that's what matters.

What we have to accept is that "It's Been a While Since I Was Your Man" does not settle as well with the average music fan than a few other songs from WLRRR. It's just not fair to try to release a song like this, with it's particular style and sound, into the present day status quo of musical taste... it's impossible...

I have the ultimate solution to this evident dilemma... ready for this genious? I propose that he films a new video with a new song, generated from the two songs, titled: "It's Been a While Since I Fell In Love with a Bad Idea".... c'mon, you know that would work, MG can write anything... look at the length of that mother fucking title though... that's awesome.

I have the ultimate solution to this evident dilemma... ready for this genious? I propose that he films a new video with a new song, generated from the two songs, titled: "It's Been a While Since I Fell In Love with a Bad Idea".... c'mon, you know that would work, MG can write anything... look at the length of that mother fucking title though... that's awesome.

;) I have no response to that.

I don't listen to the radio. The half assed drivel makes me nauseous. It's like listening to audio vomit. I can't stand it.

I wish that Matt didn't have to care about what the radio said or wanted. I wish he didn't have to choose which of his tracks where the most palatable to the majority of the radio listening audience. Based solely on what i hear from the radio, if Matt chooses songs that fit in there opinion of good, then he will have to send them none. Matt's quality is far beyond the quality of 90% of todays performers.

Peace

I dont know if you guys will agree, but I was thiniking:

Why doesnt Matt put a poll on his website of which song we (as his dedicated fans) would want as the next single. Think about it.. if we all pretty much have one song in mind.. then wouldnt that song that best reflect Matthew Good.. and reach more people in the mainstream market???

For example, very few people on this thread wanted to IBAWSIWYM as the second single.. or A single at all.. when we had the poll up earlier I do believe ILWABI took the prize.. or "We;re So Heavy".. I mean if he puts a single that his dedicated fans think would be best.. wouldnt that mean more mainstream people would like it.. rather than putting a single we think is weak.. how can he attract others when his own fanbase thinks it wasnt the best choice??

There's my two cents.

Take a look at the recent collapse of his last 5 singles (and how none of them made it to #1.. in fact.. only Weapon made it to the top 5!) *Carmelina 9, Antipop Didnt Chart, Weapon 5, IAWCC 6, ASR 16*...

Maybe it's time Matt stops the bureaucratic drama with Muchmusic.. and just accepts them for once... i.e. go to their award shows.. or do public appearances at Much.. ;) Maybe then he'd get better airplay on Muchmusic.. sometimes you do need to promote yourself and your music.. matt doesnt seem to do that.. thats why hes losing fame and success.. *but he still is the best musician ever.. which is a shame that hes going unnoticed*

Take a look at the recent collapse of his last 5 singles (and how none of them made it to #1.. in fact.. only Weapon made it to the top 5!) *Carmelina 9, Antipop Didnt Chart, Weapon 5, IAWCC 6, ASR 16*...

Maybe it's time Matt stops the bureaucratic drama with Muchmusic.. and just accepts them for once... i.e. go to their award shows.. or do public appearances at Much.. ;) Maybe then he'd get better airplay on Muchmusic.. sometimes you do need to promote yourself and your music.. matt doesnt seem to do that.. thats why hes losing fame and success.. *but he still is the best musician ever.. which is a shame that hes going unnoticed*

I agree with you for the most part but I can`t help but want him to just say fuck it, and make videos for us, the fans - i mean if muchmusics "greatest hits" involve people running arround with no clothes bopping their heads to shitty rap tunes, then so be it. If there can be ten-thousand bands that sound like nickelback, then why should he care about it? He should make the music for himself and for the people who want it.... I`ll still be skipping work to buy his CD`s or run on here to buy his new single online

it is rather depressing to watch muchmusic these days. I keep wanting to shoot my TV.

In Winnipeg, the music director is supposedly good friends with Matt, and ASR was #1 here for three weeks. All the other dj's here enjoy his music. Hal Anderson, host of the weekly countdown said that ASR was his favourite song on the program, despite all the other corporate rock littered throughout.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of successful bands out there who don't have heavy rotation videos. I remember Matt saying on his blog that he wouldn't mind it if he never made another video again.

muchmusic is becoming such a goddamn joke anyways....except for 'the wedge' of course.

When was the last time you saw an indie video on heavy rotation? It hasn't happened. The closest was maybe Sam Roberts' Brother Down and even that was on light rotation first. 'Obstacle 1' from Interpol was a close second.

I think that Matt's decision is good, he chose to release Been A While because he likes it. Most people seem to only like conventional music with easy pop hooks. Why? Because it doesn't really require your head to sort it out. I like that he's releasing something that is a bit out of the mainstream.