MSteve

Question 'bout Load Me Up

Friend of mine asked me this the other day and I realized I really didn't know, guess I hadn't given it that much thought. But any of you guys know what Matt Good is referencing in the lines:

"picture yourself at the MGM grand

one night only, murphy vs. hokem

you're in the stands"

I don't pretend to understand the meaning of all his lyrics, but it'd be interesting to ;)

When Subversive Literature was up (Raise your hand and give me a high five if you know what I'm talking about) I believe someone decoded this as being a reference to Hokem's Razor (the simplest answer must be correct) and Murphy's Law, which was always more complex than necessary. Half of that came out of my ass, which I can assure you just barely has the ability to remember the year 2000.

I thought it was spelled Ockham's Razor. Hehehe. sorry. I'm a love-slave to language, among other things.

Scott, are you talking a-boot the mgb site ran by the TO guy.. um.. Michael Cook? From 99-02ish? I've only heard tell of it, never got to see it while it was around.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000823230831/...w.mattopia.com/

---

edit: ooh, Occam's Razor (also Ockham's Razor or any of several other spellings) (attributed to William of Ockham)

i have such a hard-on for wikipedia and researching in general. the more obscure, the better. i don't get to do it at work as often as i'd like, but when i do.. ;) as the rush comes... :angry:

/endbabble

Edited by Auqakuh

When Subversive Literature was up (Raise your hand and give me a high five if you know what I'm talking about) I believe someone decoded this as being a reference to Hokem's Razor (the simplest answer must be correct) and Murphy's Law, which was always more complex than necessary. Half of that came out of my ass, which I can assure you just barely has the ability to remember the year 2000.

Very cool. TOTALLY didn't know that. Thanks!

I thought it was spelled Ockham's Razor. Hehehe. sorry. I'm a love-slave to language, among other things.

Scott, are you talking a-boot the mgb site ran by the TO guy.. um.. Michael Cook? From 99-02ish? I've only heard tell of it, never got to see it while it was around.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000823230831/...w.mattopia.com/

---

edit: ooh, Occam's Razor (also Ockham's Razor or any of several other spellings) (attributed to William of Ockham)

i have such a hard-on for wikipedia and researching in general. the more obscure, the better. i don't get to do it at work as often as i'd like, but when i do.. ;) as the rush comes... :angry:

/endbabble

That I do! I still hear from Cook now and then. I honestly don't know what he's up to these days.

Guy Smiley (Ryan McNutt) might.

--Scott

So it's spelled Ockham, but in the lyric books its spelled Hokem?

Me confused. Was this mispelling purposeful or accidental?

(Ugh... it's 2:25, I'm hungover and need breakfast. I'm slow.)

EDIT:

I just noticed something! In the Beautiful Midnight liner notes, it is spelled Hokem. HOWEVER, in the 'a pleasurable headache?' handbook that comes with Audio Of Being, it is now spelled Ockham. So, perhaps it was mispelled at the time of BM, but the real spelling was discovered by the time AOB came out.

Ahhh discovery,

Edited by badseed

thats what i had always assumed.. however, the hokem in the liner notes threw me off.. but it sounds like he says ockham, so i went with it

i was told that he just picked fictional names for the boxing match cuz they sounded better together than any real names. perhaps those two words do have some other seperate significance to Matt. only he would know.

Ohh okay thanks.

But why is it called a razor? Not a theory or paradox? or theorem? or law? or property?

when you guys first explained it was murphy's law vs ockham's razor.. i thought it meant some scientist or whatever named Ockham who was shaving.. and something went wrong. Oh well thanks for the lesson.

http://phyun5.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node10.html

I think it is a Razor because it cuts through theory's. Technically Murph's law is not a physical law. A physical law requires meticulous proof that it is true for all cases.

I like Hanlon's Razor: ``Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity''.

Peace