Dookas27018

Good Ol' Demos

So I was listening to the 4 demo albums yesterday and I must say, there is some stellar music on them...some rival anything he did with the band or recently...There's so much more musical diversity, like the very folky "Heather's Like Sunday" and the frantic phone call style of "Joe's In Trouble", or the flute on "Umbrellaless" ahhh the early 90's, music will never get any better than that.

Guest acrobate

I ended up downloading quite a lot of the demos during the Christmas break and I was impressed by them. It's too bad that MG doesn't want to even talk about them.

Man, you guys are making me jealous... I really want to hear some of these demos, but I don't know where to get them except for the few on the NF store. And that's no good to me because I have no NF cash, and I Don't know how to earn any... ;)

-Howiepea

I really wish he could maybe somehow release that stuff officially and clean it up a little bit. But, that's wishful thinking I suppose.

"Clean it up"? Are you serious? It's all of the little imperfections and scratches in the music that makes it so memorable and unique. It's like we're literally listening to his youth, his beginning - the time when it didn't matter if he sold his tapes at those little performance dives, but just hearing him create music because he wanted to, because he believed he could... I've never heard anything like it before.

As for re-releasing them... hell, Matt barely even recognizes them as his own. Which is a real shame, too, because I consider them to be among some of his greatest work.

I totally agree that some of his best stuff was released on the demos. Dancing Invisible, Mercy Misses You, Heather's Like Sunday, Last Poem's Poet... I could go on. And I totally agree that he should release a boxset or something so that his uber-fans could get to enjoy legitimate and legal versions of all those songs.

PS- Whoever asked if Dave Genn was with MGB during the demos, no, he wasn't.