Haha, I was wondering the same thing.  I think the topic turned to Tool a few pages ago.

Which is good.

Seriously, Trent is like 40 and still sings about the same self-pity bullshit.

With Teeth was horrible, anyone who thinks otherwise...I'm glad you like recycling.

i would say there's quite a bit less self-pity recently.

and from the man himself:

"While mixing, I spend most of my time NOT in the control room to allow myself some objectivity when it comes time to listen to the progress of a track. During that time, I'm working on the new set list, tour production, thinking about tracks that aren't being mixed yet, working on a few things NIN related I can't tell you about yet, finishing Saul's record, and occasionally checking in on you people online.

Let me clear a few things up so some of you don't kill yourselves (or maybe you now will). This is not a fucking hip hop record for fuck's sake. I imagine my referring to old Public Enemy records as an influence and the fact I'm working with Saul sparked that. To clarify what I meant by being influenced by Public Enemy: Hank Shocklee's Bomb Squad had a unique and highly influential way of constructing tracks - layers of samples and loops that combined together to form something chaotic and new. Do not expect Flavor Flav to appear here.

While we're at it, I wouldn't consider Saul's record to be labeled hip hop either. Certainly there is an influence there but his record reaches far beyond the confines of what I consider a dying genre.

As far as the sound and content of my new record, you'll see and hear soon enough. I am certain some of you will HATE it. I am also certain some of you will find it the best thing I've ever done. It is different in a number of ways and it is who I am now.

I am creating right now and I do not care what the record label or marketing people think about what I'm doing. In also do not care what the public think about what I;m doing. I certainly appreciate your patronage - and I HOPE you will get and enjoy what I'm working on, but I will not patronize you or pander to what you want. I will assure you I am pouring every ounce of my life, heart and soul into this and it will be the best work I am capable of - and that's all I can do."

Edited by saturnine

april 07... another album already? it's only been two years.. usually we have to wait four or five. then again, it seems like Trent has his demons more under control as of late- which is what prolonged the release of earlier records.

i was initially pretty "meh" about With_Teeth, but after awhile it grew on me. i can't wait to hear the new stuff.

I just shit my pants!

well, actually, it's good I just came back from the bathroom or I would have!

I'm surprised it took 2 years. Trent said that they had a lot of left over stuff when With Teeth came out and he thought the album would be out in 2006.

edit: also, live DVD coming out

http://www.nin.com/halo/22/index.html

Edited by Hyphnip

as far as i know, nothing records doesn't exist anymore.

the red tape satty was talking about in reference to closure, most likely has to do with john malm jr., trent's ex-manager and co-partner in the nothing label. trent sued him for fraud and other things like that. the reason "nothing" still appears on with teeth is purely for vanity purposes.

Trent says, "To be clear: my involvement with Nothing Records is over. Is Nothing Records alive or an entity? You'd have to ask John Malm (we're not really speaking that much these days)... Nothing studios is still in New Orleans and I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I'll figure that out when I finish touring."