i've found this to be a boring year.

My favourite album, by a bazillion miles, has been The Decemberists "Picaresque". That, Mindless Self Indulgence's "You'll Rebel to Anything" and Buck 65's "Secret House Against the World" are about it for favourites... I don't really love anything else i've heard.

I really liked both Bright Eyes albums, Armor For Sleep's "What to do When You're Dead" and Silverstein's "Discovering the Waterfront", but i wouldn't call any of those my favourite CD's...

I am really looking forward to the new OutKast! i have high hopes.

Red Sparrowes - At the soundless Dawn

did not expect to see that listed by anybody. anywhere. ever.

hah, more people need to check out that album.

For a debut, it is amazing.

I definately didn't expect to see that listed either. I bought it because of how they did the track list and then it turned out to be really slick.

A pretty stinky year for music. Aside from the Mars Volta album, nothing worth noting.

Honestly though.

With Teeth was good, so was Takk... and The FutureEmbrace.

I actually can't stand In Your Honor anymore. As for disappointments:

Coldplay - X&Y (was supposed to be entirely different from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, oh please)

Weezer - Make Believe (returning to the old sound? Oh please)

30 Seconds To Mars - (Watering down the artsy space elements and transforming them into friendly radio rock)

Can't think of anything else but I'm sure there was more.

I bought the Broken Social Scene album the other day but still didn't give it a listen.

My faves of the year were:

Coldplay - X&Y

Weezer - Make Believe

The Vanity Project - s/t

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

OLP - Healthy In Paranoid Times

I am a mainstream slut, but oh well. Also, was Hot Hot Heat's Elevator released in 2005 or 2004? I really enjoyed that record as it has some catchy pop tunes on it.

I think Make Believe by Weezer is a solid pop album. I don't get why so many people hated it: It's Weezer, what else did you want? It's not like they'll get away with making another Pinkerton, no matter how many fans want it that way. While it garnered a cult following and praise as the years went by, you can't hide the fact that it was a total commercial flop.

I'd have put In Your Honour here, but I think the second CD on that album sucks ass. I am not denying Dave Grohl can write a beautiful slow song (Aurora and Walking After You are great examples of that), but a whole CD's worth? No thanks.

If they'd taken 2-3 songs from the second CD and added them to the first, I think it would've been the band's best work to date. As it stands though, there was no need for a freaking double album.

X&Y is more of the same from Coldplay, but they're good at what they do. Fix You was worth the money alone. I love that song and there are many solid tunes on that record, especially the secret track. They'd just better do something different with the next album though, or else I think people are gonna get really tired with them.

-Marc

Weezer has run out ideas.

Make Believe was a horrible album because they aren't even trying anymore.

Whenever Rivers belts out "YOU'RE MY BEEST FRIEND AND IIII LOOOOOVE YOU!!!"

It makes me cringe. They're done. Weezer has become so self-concerned with chart success that they're afraid of taking risks.

Pinkerton was a fantastic record, but it didn't sell, so the band called it quits/went on hiatus. And then when they realized they had a fanbase, they decided to try again, but they watered down the sound so it would be guaranteed to sell, and thus The Green Album was born. It's been downhill since.

I listened to Pinkerton the other day and it made me so sad.

i remember around the time of the Green album, i read that Rivers was writing a song a week, and i got excited, but nope, he keeps releasing the 30 minute crap-collages...

EDIT: Pinkerton made me really sad because it's so good and the new stuff really sucks. I'm not that much of an emo-kid.

Edited by Dan #2