Shortcut To Moncton

Most Overrated MG(B) Song

What is the most overrated Matthew Good Band or Matthew Good song?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most overrated Matthew Good Band or Matthew Good song?

• 21st Century Living.
    • Advertising On Police Cars.
    • Apparitions.
    • Avalanche.
    • Blue Skies Over Bad Lands.
    • Born To Kill.
    • Fated.
    • Giant.
    • Load Me Up.
    • Near Fantastica.
    • Prime Time Deliverance.
    • Suburbia.
    • The Future Is X-Rated.
    • The Rat Who Would Be King.
    • Weapon.
    • While We Were Hunting Rabbits.

I didn't realize 'Suburbia' was popular enough to be overrated ?!?!

I'd have to say 'Hello Time Bomb' or 'Apparations' just because overpopularity and song becoming mainstream singles real devalues alot of a songs meaning (personally speaking). It just doesn't sound as good when everyone else has heard it.

I'm astounded Hello Time Bomb didn't make the list...

the song was written in about 15 minutes with a three string guitar

This is not the poll about the song that took the least effort to create or about his worst songs for that matter. As for the other guy, IAWCC...the closest Matt came to becoming a boy band? Listen to the damn song and ignore at the opening bits of the video with him and his acoustic guitar on that sofa. The rest of the video stabs at the 1000 lb gorilla that we have to deal with South of the border--that's pretty boy-band-ish, ain't it?

If IAWCC wasn't a single, people would rank it as one of the best songs on the cd. People are stupid. If Weapon was a "cross-over hit" into Top 40 Radio, people here would hate that song as well.

Actually, you're making a really bold and quite misguided assumption. I just hate the fucking song. It has nothing to do with if it was a single or not.

I'm astounded Hello Time Bomb didn't make the list...

the song was written in about 15 minutes with a three string guitar

This is not the poll about the song that took the least effort to create or about his worst songs for that matter. As for the other guy, IAWCC...the closest Matt came to becoming a boy band? Listen to the damn song and ignore at the opening bits of the video with him and his acoustic guitar on that sofa. The rest of the video stabs at the 1000 lb gorilla that we have to deal with South of the border--that's pretty boy-band-ish, ain't it?

If IAWCC wasn't a single, people would rank it as one of the best songs on the cd. People are stupid. If Weapon was a "cross-over hit" into Top 40 Radio, people here would hate that song as well.

Actually, you're making a really bold and quite misguided assumption. I just hate the fucking song. It has nothing to do with if it was a single or not.

Yeah, me too. Don't like the sound of it at all, and the video is only another reason to dislike it. I disliked the song the first time I heard it. I realize the lyrics are about the US, but it's the sound of the song I was referring to, not its meaning. I did say it was the closest he got to sounding like a boy band, not that he was writing boy band material.

I also think thew same for load me up, it got to popular in like '99 when it was put on big shiny tunes 6... it was actually the first Matt Good song I ever remember listening to. I hated it

And I think you are wrong, I love Apparition, I love the video for it, I just think it's such a good song with a good meaning behind it

Edited by Shakakahn

I couldn't vote on this without feeling like a liar. I think most of Matt Good's songs are underated if anything. If I were to chose one though, it would be "hello time bomb" which wasn't on the list. I think this choice is largly influenced by video however...

I choose Load Me Up because like IAWCC i just don't like the song, both those songs don't seem to fit musically into their respective albums. Maybe it's just me but they just seem to contradict the musical tone and theme. More filler than anything.

I wish In A World Called Catastrophe was on there. The only time I've found it tolerable was when it was live and acoustic. Also I realize it was a single (in theory) but not a single radio station in my city picked it up, but it seemed to be really popular in other markets. *shrug*

Anti pop? No! Well, I totally dig that song since I thought it was put together in a really cool way.

I despise the rat who would be king, although I have heard so many of you like it from your posts in other threads. I think its the only song I would actually say MG/B has done that "sucks."

I'm at the point in my life where I don't find any of Matt's songs to be overrated.

I'll just take everything I can get my hands on. His music makes me feel alive right now when I really don't want to be. His music is pretty much saving me from going ballistic again and being put back into the hospital.