Sim

Do You Think Matthew Good Is Underrated?

Is Matt Good underrated? (Post comment)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Is Matt Good underrated? (Post comment)

• Yes, because he (almost) don't play in the US
    • Yes, because he had a bad reputation in the past
    • Yes, because radio/video don't play him enough
    • Yes, because radio release haren't his best song
    • Yes, other (post)
    • No, Matt is as popular as it should be

dude, that's just my opinion... you don't have to care! lol. but personally, i hate that the first thing that people think about when they hear matthew good is HTB or apparitions and not, say, avalanche or born to kill. HTB is too juvenile for me, and apparitions is nice but there are much better songs.

i think matt said that without apparitions, he wouldn't be where he is today

that song made him known (to some people at least)

i do agree that some songs are immediately associated with matt, but that's bound to happen. it goes with most artists on the radio. you only know one or two of their singles, not their good album songs

I voted yes b/c of lack of radio play. His exposure here in the states is very minimal. Actually it is more like non existant. Back when I was in college in Michigan, MGB was on the "hot list" at WGRD in Grand Rapids. Only because of HTB. That's how I found him. One listen to Beautiful Midnight and HTB was instantly my least favorite song of his. NOT that it is a bad song. It's actually a great song compared to other artist's crap. HTB just ranks low on the MG scale for me.

I'm from North Carolina aka "Dale Earnhardt Land" so when Junior was in the Anti-Pop video I thought, "Hey, MGB's got their foot in the door, maybe they'll get some airplay here." NOT! I even had a conversation with the station manager at WEND in Charlotte. Their response was basically "no market, no fan base." I'm like that's bullshit! Five years ago nobody in the states had heard of Nickleback. Now they are gettin' head from every disc jockey that pushes the Billboard Top 40. In addition, they're regulars at the Weenie Roast (free concert event in NC). Our Lady Peace is also there quite often, so to say that Canucks can't make it here is false.

As a fan it is frustrating to see "your guy" not get the props he deserves. I guess this is the feeling all true music fans face, but at the same time you have to appreciate the fact that they are not well known. I kinda like the feeling of going against the grain and knowing something no one else knows. Being able to show somebody some great music that they've never heard before is awesome.

I guess the most important fact here is that if Matt is happy where he is then we as fans have to accept whatever level of exposure he's been granted and be content with it. 'Cause one day Matt will be Prime Minister and everyone in the world will know him after he kicks out an acoustic version of "North American for Life" as his acceptance speech.

Rock on MG...We drank the Kool-Aid...We are your disciples...We can rule the world!!

I dunno, I was reading an interview with matt once and he said that radio stations don't play some of his longer songs. But most of his longer songs are the best...like advertising on police cars...but that's 7 mins long...Imagine that on the radio :/

Yes, Matthew Good is underrated. His singles are catchy, but not representative of his overall sound, which is much more impactful. As weird as it may sound, I kind of like the fact that most people don't know him by name. It's pretty selfish, but sometimes, it feels like his music is my own personal, and wonderful, secret.

When i talk about Matt Good people are always like "huh?... who?"

I think radio (well, here in quebec) don't play him enough (or at all). A friend told me he heard "Alert Status Red" once on radio...

I've seen the last show (in montreal) and i must say it was the best Matt Good show and the best show ever i had ever seen, but the place was about half-full... i guess part because of the lack of publicity or people just don't like "greatest hits" cd...

I guess you guys in BC are having quite a bunch of interview / song on radio / tv show.... and so on... but here in quebec it's almost nothing. ;)

i think 80% of his shit is radio.. and thats the problem

he doesnt have enough GOOD songs.

When i talk about Matt Good people are always like "huh?... who?"

I think radio (well, here in quebec) don't play him enough (or at all).  A friend told me he heard "Alert Status Red" once on radio...

I've seen the last show (in montreal) and i must say it was the best Matt Good show and the best show ever i had ever seen, but the place was about half-full... i guess part because of the lack of publicity or people just don't like "greatest hits" cd...

I guess you guys in BC are having quite a bunch of interview / song on radio / tv show.... and so on... but here in quebec it's almost nothing.  :angry:

i think 80% of his shit is radio.. and thats the problem

he doesnt have enough GOOD songs.

??yeah...uhh..umm...right?? ;)

and you are here...why?? :angry:

Most songs that i hear on the radio follow the same formula. Some are catchy, but they lack the lyrical depth to make them songs that i can listen to over and over and get something new out of them every time...like matt say's "music is boring"

I still can't figure out why people can say he is under-rated because "he never plays in the states". If you look at The Tragically Hip they have a very little following in the U.S besides the areas the do go and perform in like Boston, Philly, NYC, and Chicago, but even then 90% of the crowd is Canadian and I dont think there is anyone who can say that The Hip are under-rated, and they also fall into the same category of people knowing radio hits, but still alot of people dont complain when they hear New Orleans or Ahead By A Century

The question here is what define under-rated, is being unknown under- rated, or is the lack of respect and such under-rated. In the states he is unknown to the vast majority, and being that he is so talented people belive that to be under-rated. The reason so many people belive him to be under-rated IMO is thte fact that he is so good which such great songs, and you can tell so many people in the states and here in canada that your favourite artist is Matt good and you get a blank stare. For people that actualy listen to him and are exposed to his music love him and thats all that really matters. The fast sales of the tour is enough proof to show that he is doing quite well.

Being that I'm from the U.S., I would have to say yes.

On every album there seems to be a few tracks that just jump right out, but the more time you spend listening to it the more you appreciate the other tracks. Especially with his later (solo) stuff, it just isn't very single oriented in my opinion, and that's just how the music industry is run now. But what can you do? ;)

i definitely think that his best work is not necessarily "radio friendly". of my fairly extensive list of favorite mg songs, the ones that frequent the fm channels around here just aren't at the top......meh, my 2 cents

to actually provide input to the poll......

hard to say if that makes matt "underrated"......i think those that appreciate his music appreciate more than any other fans i've seen. once you're hooked, you're hooked. for me, i will listen to his music for years to come and it's not gonna be gathering dust on the old cd rack

Edited by justjonny

When it comes to MG either you get it, or you don't.... Most people don't, and I'm OK with that.

Besides its better this way - can you imagine having to shell out $$$$$ to be in the nosebleeds at some stadium to see Matt on the jumbo tron??? We get to be real fans, loving real music, up close and personal and if the rest of the continent is too daft to get it - more for me.

Looking forward to the Barrie show on the 11th

Besides its better this way - can you imagine having to shell out $$$$$ to be in the nosebleeds at some stadium to see Matt on the jumbo tron???

Agreed. I love that I haven't had to shell very much to catch Matt in concert. Which is why I was looking forward to the Monday show in Starlight. S'a good venue, and I imagine one that affords the opportunity to be nearly nose to nose with the guy.