Lux

Ditching University For Europe

So, as my best friend Rebecca and I were dreadign havign to actually accept a university's offer of admission to..*Shudder8 get some sort of degree, it occured to me that, this is my life, and thus my future. Instead of getting a degree because I feel I should I could... explore Europe and study in it's most famous libraries and visits it's monuments, museums, attractions, and hostels... basically live out my teenage fantasys in a European setting. Learning about art in Italy, medieval studies in Scotland, archecture (and so much more) in France. Dropping acid in Barcelona, drinking until I can drink no more ar Oktoberfest in Germany. Enjoying the Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam... (not to mention.. training for said cup.) Twirling in a feild of tulips in Holland.

Okay, the twirling was a bit much. but it's a recently discovered dream and something I am serisouly thinking of pursuing, my question is, can one actually get educated backpacking across Europe? ... and also, any tips/advise form those who've done it? Or decided not to do it...?

...you can only do all that stuff if you have all kinds of money.

(edit: i was writing this before megin posted, but im glad its a second)

i went the summer i graduated with $3000 in my pocket and had a terrible time... i went last year and spent almost $10,000 and had the time of my life.

as for the education... you learn street smarts and worldy education... aka education you can only use when you GET the job. GETTING the job usually takes book smarts.

however, going to europe and exploring can open doors to careers you'd never thought of until you went.

Edited by one_trick_pony

well, europe isnt going anywhere soon, the same as university. but i would be more fun to go to europe when your young instead of being older and have to worry about coming home to a job/family/childern. my advice, go to europe, enjoy it, and hey, you never know, you might change you mind over there about what you want to take at school.

"your life is your life, dont let it be clubbed into dank submission", those words came to my mind while reading your thread. So, i say, GO, get out, SEE this place we call the world, if only its in another Western European country, you will learn lessons that no book or indoctrination institution ( aka university)could possibly teach. Ive been going to university for 2 years and sure ive gotten drunk and had all kinds of experiance in another city, but really, nothing like traveling. So go out into that bright beautiful world while its still here and come back ready to hit the books so that you can be "successful" in the conventional sense knowing that you LIVED for a year, it is much better then simply being alive for four and getting a piece of paper which may or may not help you.

Edited by supercanuk

I stayed in a Hostel in Vancouver when I went to see NIN. (We bought tickets and then learned a week later that Edmonton was added to the list... DOh) Anyways Hostels suck but you get what you pay for. The hostel we stayed in was really close to east hastings and before we even got inside to our rooms we had some toothless old drug addict lady ask us for money. That and I got to kill 2 giant bugs in our room (I'm from alberta we don't get giant bugs).

But I'm rambling, if you have the money go tour europe. It's what I do but I currently wallow in poverty and have 3 siblings so my parents have no money.

my student art teacher went and spent 5k. he reccomended it.

i would love to travel, and probably will sometime after i am teacher's college and before i get pregnant. if i went now, i couldn't afford to go to university.

I have no intentions of going to Europe. I was thinking about just running away over there, but I just wouldn't like it. I know there is a lot of interesting things, but it just doesn't interest me one little bit. I'd rather go to Asia, but there, it is definatly going to cost you a lot of money.

Also, I would NEVER backpack or stay in hostels. I would be freaked out, wouldn't be able to sleep, and if i'm not clean (haven't had a shower once a day) I would be scratching myself until I bled and I would be able to sleep...

I'm hopefully going this summer. I've got a wedding to go to in Ireland in August. Might as well cross over, eh?

I hope to live somewhere non-North American in a few years. Europe would be most practical for me, i would assume.

I can appreciate the rite of passage conundrum that is inferred to many/some North Americans in 'Going to Europe'. The beauty of Europe is the largely absurd diversity of cultures over relatively (compared to North America) small territories. On consideration, this will appear delightful. In reality it is rarely enjoyable even to Europeans. Anybody coming to Europe for the experience should bathe in the clumsiness of being repeatadly placed in situations where you are uncomfortable. It eventually breeds sensitivity and appreciation of small things - small things that mean the most to people.

We've all been dawbed with trite philosphical remarks in the attempt to refine us to the big world. Most of them are shite but many have have value. Like listen more than you talk, be interested (it makes you interesting) I guess the endeavour is to fit yourself into where you are rather than mangle your experience to make yourself comfortable. What am I saying - listen to 'Blues Skies over Bad Lands'. We're all little boys & girls.

What do I know - I'm from Glasgow ;))

might as well go... Europe is fun. I had a good time while i was over there, but i realized that i missed friends and family - and home. If you don't have any of those things then you might LOVE Europe. I liked it alot but wouldn't want to stay for more than a few months at a time. Might as well have a great time too (smoke your brains out/ do whatever else you want). Just keep in mind, when u get back.. that piece of PAPER is important (unfortunately). But college can be fun too...

Graduating in 2 weeks ;)

So, as my best friend Rebecca and I were dreadign havign to actually accept a university's offer of admission to..*Shudder8 get some sort of degree, it occured to me that, this is my life, and thus my future. Instead of getting a degree because I feel I should I could... explore Europe and study in it's most famous libraries and visits it's monuments, museums, attractions, and hostels... basically live out my teenage fantasys in a European setting. Learning about art in Italy, medieval studies in Scotland, archecture (and so much more) in France. Dropping acid in Barcelona, drinking until I can drink no more ar Oktoberfest in Germany. Enjoying the Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam... (not to mention.. training for said cup.) Twirling in a feild of tulips in Holland.

Okay, the twirling was a bit much. but it's a recently discovered dream and something I am serisouly thinking of pursuing, my question is, can one actually get educated backpacking across Europe? ... and also, any tips/advise form those who've done it? Or decided not to do it...?

your spelling/typing/whatever is atrocious, so by all means, get out there and twirl in some tulips.

Guest apsham

I know this girl.

She goes to my school.

Lyndsey, you're never going to make it. ;)

Edited by Apple Shampoo

I have never understood longing to go to Europe.

Eh, my grandparents are from there. For me, it's a need to find my roots. My grandparents never told me anything about life back in Holland or Italy (probably because they left just after WWII), and now that most of them are dead, I'm going to have to do some first hand figuring out. I also want to learn Italian because I never learned it from my grandparents or my dad, and I always thought there was some sort of barrier between me and my relatives because they would always speak in Italian given the chance, while I don't understand a word of it.

That said, I just got accepted into the University of Western Ontario. So I'll be going there. And then, depending on how my future pans out, several years from now, I plan on going on one of those work abroad schemes to Italy, fluent in Italian from my university experience. Everyone's got to do something with their lives. Although Italy or Amsterdam are extremely cliched destinations for North American tourists, they have real significance to me.

Edited by ecnarf

Okay, ApShampoo, (totally almost called you by... your name. I don't know if this is a name-friendly forum. okay like a give a shit) Alex, you so know I'm getting my ass to Europe.

Yes my spelling and Grammar are super bad when I type in a flurry and do not spell check or re-read because I am whipping out a message to put on the internet to help em decide my future. Still, that's no excuse. Let us assume I have consistantly horrible spelling/grammar. aLSO i CANNOT TYPE.

Now that my inherent flaws have been...aired.

thank you guys so much for your super input about Eruope. you peeps make some excellent points. Such as havign a greta time in Europe rather than half-living ym life for 4 years and walking away with a peice of paper which could or could not be useful.

I think I'll try and be like spaghetti, if I don't stick to the wall after I've stewed for a while in Europe, than I'll crawl back to second rate University life.

That metaphor was just shot to hell.

Guest apsham

In case you never notice Lyndsey, our names are right above our genders in our little profiles on the sides of our posts. ;)

I think I'll try and be like spaghetti, if I don't stick to the wall after I've stewed for a while in Europe, than I'll crawl back to second rate University life.

That metaphor was just shot to hell.

If you try and eat spaghetti in Italy, you will stand out like the stupid caker you are.

Also, important information:

-osso bucco is peasant's food. do not pay 25 bucks for it.

-Do not say "Parlo inglese?" thinking you are asking people if you speak English. You will be asking other people if you speak English. "Parli Inglese?" is the way to (formally) ask someone if they speak English. "Parla Inglese?" for a less formal approach.

-Not so many people speak English in Italy, as I understand it. Loudly asking if someone speaks English is not the way to accomplish things.

-Everyone in Holland speaks English. Amsterdam is more English than Dutch. Alkmaar is where it's at if you want to see tall people/people not speaking English.