AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I've grown accustomed to Matthew's bass playing. They play a very sturdy role in song structure on his last 2 records, yet it's very simple. Not that the bass in MG(B) was ever that complex, but his style is much different than Rich's. And I think that's why I have such a problem with the bass in the live performance now. Milos was the only guy that wasn't part of the recording or creating process, and his playing shows a much different interpretation of what Matthew was going for in the studio, I think.

But what the fuck do I know, right? I'm sure if Matt felt the same way, he wouldn't be playing with him in the shows.

i can't believe there's no thread to discuss vancouver! (unless i'm very blind)

what did you guys think about the album?

mod edit: just a bit blind ;) search is your friend

:angry:

in that case, i thought vancouver was an average album. i'm glad to have an update of matt's particular palette of soundmaking, but this is just a rehash of avalanche. it's like, 'the boy who could explode' has replaced 'while we were hunting rabbits'.

that being said, avalanche is my favorite work by matt and so i really enjoy vancouver, it is merely lacking in inspiration.

Edited by Crusader

Vancouver is definitely my favorite album of the year, and is just a step behind Avalanche, in my opinion. Longer tracks, strings... amazing.

I remember there being a small glitch/skip in the iTunes release.... anyone else notice that? It happened near the beginning of ETP.

Yeah, they're playing Us Remains Impossible on a couple of stations in Calgary too. Not my favorite track from Vancouver, but definitely up there. When I bought my copy of Vancouver, it had a sticker on it that said 'includes Last Parade', and now on the new ones is says 'includes Us Remains Impossible and Last Parade.'

It's pretty awesome - I'll go into HMV one week, and they've got maybe 10 copies of Vancouver, and then the next week, they'll have 2.

Does anyone remember the alternate version of Empty's Theme Park he did live?  It's fantastic and I think I may like it as much or more than the album version.  It's so different and has an awesome jam section, yet it works excellently.  A fine example of why Matt is so talented, the versatility.

• Upvote 1

I came across this. I was there, and I don't remember this at all. You're totally right. There is an awesome jam section at 3:45 and 7:35. Thanks for bringing it up.

November 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHGiGoxj2Y4

I love the Jack Singer Concert Hall. It is the best concert venue in Calgary, hands down.

Edited by girl

Ohhhhhhhh not for me, my friend. Matthew Good Band at the Corral, June 29, 2001. That was was the best concert of my life. I was in the farthest seat imaginable from the band, way up in the nosebleeds. My back was against the wall. Born To Kill. That was worth the price of admission and then some. I will never forget it. It was like the angels appeared from the heavens. haha

Edited by girl

Ohhhhhhhh not for me, my friend. Matthew Good Band at the Corral, June 29, 2001. That was was the best concert of my life. I was in the farthest seat imaginable from the band, way up in the nosebleeds. My back was against the wall. Born To Kill. That was worth the price of admission and then some. I will never forget it. It was like the angels appeared from the heavens. haha

I was being crushed at the barrier in front of the stage and getting kicked in the head a lot that night.

That's not fun. I imagine you must have had bruises and scrapes after that. I know the feeling. I was caught in a mosh pit at a Radiohead concert in Vancouver and there was of a lot of pushing and shoving going on. I fell right on my ass in a sea of people. Radiohead fans are really nice though. They cleared everyone around, asked if I was okay, and helped me get up.

My first mosh pit at a Strung Out concert in 2002 wasn't fun though. They're a punk band, and I didn't really know what a mosh pit was at the time. It didn't help that I was front row centre. I was shoved and banged into the steel railing like crazy, and when I came home I had bruises all over my chest and arms. I looked like a victim of aggravated assault. My hair was also sticky from multiple pop cans being thrown in the air. Never again.