Crusader

Matthew Good 2011 Tour Dates!

Thanks :) I wish I had gone back there earlier, and switched lenses from what I was using just before (front of house)..... I'm really fond of that pic of him just about to go on stage but i buggered the dof due to the lens I was using... still, it kind of has an image one might find in "liner notes" sort of feel to it..... imho :)

Those photos are amazing.

Went to the edge today, saw Matt and the band play live. They sound FANTASTIC. New guitarist is great, don't worry. Ian kicks fucking ass. There's a new breakdown jam in the middle of LMU, it's great. Met Matt on the yet again. Got him to sign my Black Market Surgery and the original pressing of Raygun in the cardboard sleeve. Good times.

Looking forward to the next two nights. Didn't really look until just now oddly enough, but I ended up with row A pretty much in the centre for the Thursday show. Sadly I had to work a late shift tonight otherwise I would've been at the Edge show too. but I was able to get the next two nights off so hey, thems the breaks

OHHHH Killed IT! I gotta say, compared to last Tuesday's show in Mississauga, the band absolutely Rocked a great show out! The vibe was 180°. I'm now convinced, Jimmy is a great guitarist for this tour - he knows these songs rock, again the enthusiasm he's brought to older material has made ME in turn love hearing what had been pretty standard (IMHO) renditions of BM singles for the past few years. Highlight was Silent Army for me, awesome of Matt to dedicate the song to Scott Olson, the US vet who took a rubber bullet during the Occupy Oakland police attack, and currently in hospital witha fractured skull. Fuck the grumblings about Toronto, the band obviously felt the vibe and stepped the show up in kind. Weapon is still just brilliant, that riff is like Bowie's Rebel Rebel riff, it can do no wrong and does not go stale! Ima go see if I can find tickets for tomorrow night's show on Craigslist :P

I'm row B tomorrow on the aisle - anyone near me Friday?

Tonight's set!

Set Me on Fire

Last Parade

Born Losers

What if I Can't See the Stars Mildred?

Zero Orchestra

The Future is X-Rated

Load Me Up

A Silent Army in the Trees (dedicated to Scott Olsen)

Non Populus

Apparitions

Weapon

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Giant

Alert Status Red

Shallow's Low.

I loved this set, but more importantly, my dad loved it. This show was his birthday gift and his second Matt show ever, and he said it was pretty much perfect, aside from a few Hospital Music songs he'd want. Definitely higher energy than Mississauga but he's had a break recently, so makes sense. Killed it. Army was an especially nice touch.

• Upvote 1

Let's not forget the fact that Matt got Ian to bust out the intro to Rico after someone in the crowd yelled it out. He did it to prove a point, saying that's also as much as he remembers it, but I couldn't help think about what a rarity it was to see that.

Great show, I'd have to say this new band is maybe my favourite. I was front row basically dead centre. Kind of a lame crowd, Matt played off their banter really well. Didn't seem to disruptive. Had to put a gun to their head to get them to stand up in between the set and encore though. Kinda sad. The breakdown in LMU is incredible! Also, just the fact that Ian is back playing the MGB stuff is incredible. He's hitting all those little nuances that Pat and Blake could never hit. All those fills in Apparitions, the intensity in LMU, all amazing. The intro to Giant!

Jimmy is a fantastic guitarist. Very high energy just like Stu was, totally different playing styles. Stu was very technical, and Jimmy is...well, sloppy isn't the right word to use, but it's just not as clean cut as we're used to.

Tony is fucking incredible, and Milos is the coolest motherfucker in the world.

The meet and greet was probably very tough for Matt. VIP was sold out so there was a lot of people to go through. He didn't seem to eager towards the end, just going through the motions. I can't blame him though. And I've counted and this is this is my 7th time meeting the guy. I'm starting to have a hard time even convincing myself that I'm not completely obsessed.

I also just want to say that Matt's crew is totally friendly to fans and they do a really great job every night it seems. Good on them for everything they do to put these shows on right night after night.

Can't wait for tomorrow's show.

I also just want to say that Matt's crew is totally friendly to fans and they do a really great job every night it seems. Good on them for everything they do to put these shows on right night after night.

I couldn't agree more. When I was backstage, they were very accomodating and nice to me, showing me where I could stand, lighting my way so I didn't trip over anything. His guitar tech even made the point of telling me to get closer for photos, and move the curtains so I could get a good shot. It was really a very positive experience.

I'm envious of anyone who is going tonight and kicking myself that I didn't go see him twice ( in Montreal for example). I'm crossing my fingers for Vermont or NY stops on a US tour.

Got a ticket for tonight's show :) wonder if they'll play Hornets?? I have to agree with Jesse, this band is one of the best incarnations, and they're just warming up! Christian thor Valdson will always be held in highest regard in my eyes though; I fucking LOVED his band Copyright, and his touring on Avalanche & WLRRR shows was brilliant. Digression aside, hope you folks with tix enjoy the show tonite! It's likely going to be exceptional.

Got a ticket for tonight's show :) wonder if they'll play Hornets??

aaand they did. last night's show was great, especially being front row centre and all, but man, so much more energy from the band and the crowd.

Agreed on CtV, loved him, but definitely no complaints about the new band, and even though he seems less energetic/intense than the last two drummers(especially Pat), Ian's rocking it.

aaand they did. last night's show was great, especially being front row centre and all, but man, so much more energy from the band and the crowd.

Agreed on CtV, loved him, but definitely no complaints about the new band, and even though he seems less energetic/intense than the last two drummers(especially Pat), Ian's rocking it.

Agreed, crowd was nuts tonight. I missed the first half hour though, what'd they open with?

I had dudes left and right air-guitaring, it was ridiculous! Anolder gentleman was sitting beside me, with his grandson. When they played apparitions, the man said to the boy, 'now here's a classic one'.

They opened with Rabbits.

I brought a friend of mine who, of course, I'd given a bunch of Matt's music to prior, and she'd said that Rabbits was her favourite song.

After the first couple notes I leaned over and said "Rabbits!" and her eyes lit up and she went crazy. So awesome.

Great atmosphere tonight.

Apparitions being a "classic one" makes me feel old.. shit

I recorded last night's show. Should have it online soon. Thanks for the setlist, likeadeadstar. Will help me track the songs quickly. ;)

Awesome, I was hoping for some nice recordings of this tour, especially the new/rare songs. How is the quality?

Recording? *perks up* I like that word!!

The setlist is up for tonight on setlist.fm (someone beat me to it while I waited forever to meet Matt after the "hey let's have the back of the line go first now" shenanigans). Basically, Mississauga with Shallow's Low moved up and Hornets in its place. The crowd was high energy but annoyingly so - super drunk, yelling during songs like Non Populus and Rabbits (seriously, please STFU and save it for Time Bomb or Weapon). I wasn't happy because I had the "stand the fuck up!" drunken idiot right beside me in the aisle and security going back and forth with him. Last night was a better show for me by miles.

Tony jamming Rick Astley made my life. I want to party with him now.

I'm sad I'm done for this tour. :( I want more.

VIP: wow.... super sold out and beyond.... Matt was tired when I finally made it, but very nice and sweet about what I talked to him about. He's a trooper for doing this many shows and all the VIP.

I recorded last night's show. Should have it online soon. Thanks for the setlist, likeadeadstar. Will help me track the songs quickly. ;)

Whereabouts were you located? And what gear did you use.

I was, as mentioned, about 10 rows back just off centre. I haven't said this just yet but did record the Mississauga show (using DPA 4061 mics with a preamp and a Sony M10 recorder for those who care) but the sound of the room was very echoey and I'm not happy with the recording [or the show for that matter -- see my review above]. I still have to get around to tracking the show. I might put it out there for you guys as well.

Also have my own masters for Massey Hall 2009 (second night), Oshawa 2008, Orangeville 2004, Mod Club (2nd night) 2004, and Hamilton Place 2003. All of the early-to-mid 2000's shows are MiniDisc recordings with external mics (cardioids) and post 2008 shows vary with an Edirol digital recorder. The 2003, 2004, and 2005 shows have been highly circulated. 2008 and 2009 have only gone to one other person.

Just thought I'd put this out there for you guys....

Recording? *perks up* I like that word!!

The setlist is up for tonight on setlist.fm (someone beat me to it while I waited forever to meet Matt after the "hey let's have the back of the line go first now" shenanigans). Basically, Mississauga with Shallow's Low moved up and Hornets in its place. The crowd was high energy but annoyingly so - super drunk, yelling during songs like Non Populus and Rabbits (seriously, please STFU and save it for Time Bomb or Weapon). I wasn't happy because I had the "stand the fuck up!" drunken idiot right beside me in the aisle and security going back and forth with him. Last night was a better show for me by miles.

Yeah, I did the Mississauga show even though the ushers were all over the place (see above). I'll see if I can put it out there in the coming days whenever I get around to tracking it.

As for drunk people and morons in general, good luck with your efforts. Nobody seems to give a flying f*ck anymore whether they've paid $10 for a ticket or $300 for a ticket. People will carry on full-on convos while using the concert as their "background music." It's really sad and it doesn't matter if it's a show with an orchestra, a pop show, a rock show, a metal show, a MG show, some people have just become so ignorant. I had the same problem with Rabbits in Mississauga and Non-Populus fared little better.

As for drunk people and morons in general, good luck with your efforts. Nobody seems to give a flying f*ck anymore whether they've paid $10 for a ticket or $300 for a ticket. People will carry on full-on convos while using the concert as their "background music." It's really sad and it doesn't matter if it's a show with an orchestra, a pop show, a rock show, a metal show, a MG show, some people have just become so ignorant. I had the same problem with Rabbits in Mississauga and Non-Populus fared little better.

Oh I know; I've seen hundreds of concerts. Kind of an addiction. It was just SO bad and annoying last night. I have a tolerance for a certain level of noise and shouting, and last night blew over it. Honestly, if security had just grown a pair and ejected the drunk trio in the aisles, it would have been fine.

Agreed, crowd was nuts tonight. I missed the first half hour though, what'd they open with?

I had dudes left and right air-guitaring, it was ridiculous! Anolder gentleman was sitting beside me, with his grandson. When they played apparitions, the man said to the boy, 'now here's a classic one'.

That brings a tear to my eye about the older man and his grandson. I can only wish to have a moment in time like that with a song or sports event.

Whereabouts were you located? And what gear did you use.

I was, as mentioned, about 10 rows back just off centre. I haven't said this just yet but did record the Mississauga show (using DPA 4061 mics with a preamp and a Sony M10 recorder for those who care) but the sound of the room was very echoey and I'm not happy with the recording [or the show for that matter -- see my review above]. I still have to get around to tracking the show. I might put it out there for you guys as well.

Also have my own masters for Massey Hall 2009 (second night), Oshawa 2008, Orangeville 2004, Mod Club (2nd night) 2004, and Hamilton Place 2003. All of the early-to-mid 2000's shows are MiniDisc recordings with external mics (cardioids) and post 2008 shows vary with an Edirol digital recorder. The 2003, 2004, and 2005 shows have been highly circulated. 2008 and 2009 have only gone to one other person.

Would love to hear all or some of these. :D

Last night's show was terrific, but I've never seen matt so disheartened by a crowd. I did enjoy when one guy screamed "no you ruined it, bitch, shut up!" The crowd seemed to like that one. It's a shame non populus had to be ruined by those old dudes who wouldn't listen to security. All in all a great show, and honestly, the highlights would have to be all the mgb material, because that's when matt had the crowd by the balls. I've never seen a theatre crowd of his more into it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a huge rant on his website though.

Oh I know; I've seen hundreds of concerts. Kind of an addiction. It was just SO bad and annoying last night. I have a tolerance for a certain level of noise and shouting, and last night blew over it. Honestly, if security had just grown a pair and ejected the drunk trio in the aisles, it would have been fine.

Sad. It's funny, though, because we had Matt say he can't hear sh*t through his in ear monitor's at the LAC show meanwhile people kept trying to yell things at him after the fact.

Would love to hear all or some of these. :D

I'll see what I can do. I'll likely put links to the Mississauga LAC show up at some point (for a limited period).

Last night's show was terrific, but I've never seen matt so disheartened by a crowd. I did enjoy when one guy screamed "no you ruined it, bitch, shut up!" The crowd seemed to like that one. It's a shame non populus had to be ruined by those old dudes who wouldn't listen to security. All in all a great show, and honestly, the highlights would have to be all the mgb material, because that's when matt had the crowd by the balls. I've never seen a theatre crowd of his more into it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a huge rant on his website though.

Certain people are just Class-A A-holes. End of story.

Row K, off to the left side. CSBs > Edirol R-09hr.

As for sound quality, ya'll can check it out for yourselves. FLACs, archived MP3s and a streaming sample are all available now at http://blog.haterhigh.com

Thanks for the link. I'm shooting you a PM.

You are awesome. Thank you so much. From the couple minutes I've heard so far the audio is plenty fine for me.

I think sour29 is just saying that the lousy mix/sound at the venue equals a less than stellar recording; this is the same experience I had in Mississauga. Parts weren't loud enough (overall) and the mix left a lot to be desired. People who tape shows generally have what they consider to be "a good" recording and go from there.