Crusader

Matthew Good 2011 Tour Dates!

lohan.jpg

He was sitting in his seat like this for the entire last half of the concert. HALF!!!! His friend couldn't even wake him up, even after the show. Instead, he was more occupied with trying to capture the perfect picture of him, or getting more beer (3 beers in hand each time). Something didn't smell right with those dudes. In fact, it smelled like a brewery around them. I don't mean to pass judgement, but if that doesn't spell alcoholic, I don't know what does.

is that Lindsay Lohan???????

I'd definitely say said description at least matches the description of substance abuse, which is a serious problem worth recommending help for. *removes social worker hat*

re: meet and greets - I don't think it's Matt; it's the venues. I didn't feel rushed at all being the fourth last person of a very long line in Toronto by Matt himself or the woman helping with photos. Security was very rude shoving us out the door though, which as a woman attending solo to a show on a deserted exhibition grounds area? Not cool. I had people to walk with, and was getting my coat on and waiting for them to walk the five minutes safely to transit. But Matt's people and Matt? I felt that he was tired, but gracious. *shrug*

I'm seriously contemplating Buffalo... Anyone else?

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that the venue wants to close up the place after the show so it might seem like it's not as long as when you meet MG out at the bus (which is in the parking lot). I'm guessing they might even make MG pay extra to rent the place out after the shows.

From what I know though, MG really does like meeting his fans. He'll likely recognize you if you've seen him a few times too. e.g. "Do we really need another picture together?" lol

I'm not so sure of that... My friend and I were kindly sent away last night in Red Deer when we went to the rear part of the memorial center to wait by the back door. Not sure who he was working for but he did ask us nicely to leave.

As for the meet and greets, I went the first night in Calgary and I didn't feel rushed, I rushed because I was so nervous ( I do have a habit of fainting in the most inopportune of times!)! I literally shook from the time I met him until the northern limits of the city (I live 45 minutes out of town). His assistant was very nice in making sure that the picture was what I wanted which was very nice, because the first one did turn out rather blurry. I do appreciate the fact that he did make VIP package available and if he decides again to do it in the future I will purchase a package again.

I was unaware that being drunk at a nightclub was an indication of addiction.

Way to pass judgement.

I didn't stick around. How was the show?

The show was absolutely fantastic. It was obvious right from the start that Matt and the band were in a great mood. They were having so much fun up there. The crowd however was abysmal. I was sitting in the third row, and from what I could tell from my vantage point was the first three rows were completely dead with the exception of me... totally rocking it out the whole time. At one point I got a bit weepy because he played Champions, the one song I never thought I hear live, the night before in Calgary I was over the moon with hearing Hornets, which sounded great! There were a ton of drunken idiots screaming song requests, to which Matt replied with a little ditty about how he wrote the set list eariler in the day, that he wasn't going to change it and that no one was going to get their money back, which had me and my friend howling with laughter. Later on some fucktard lit up a joint, in a theatre that maybe has the capacity of about 800. Due to my current line of work, my nose is rather sensitive that stuff. Matt noticed it too and made a comment about how rude it was, then fucktard asked the rest of his band if they were interested in a hoot. Matt didn't dignify him any further and just went on to play another song.

By far it was one of the best shows that Matt and his band have ever put on and I was extremely disappointed with the crowd in Red Deer. They don't know how lucky they are to have such an awesome and intimate venue for artists to play in. Growing up just outside of Red Deer, the common complaint was that no one ever does a show there and I can see why. I live halfway between Red Deer and Calgary and have made a point to see all the shows that I can when I can. Matt and his band deserved a lot more respect than what they got last night.

Here are a few thoughts on the Edmonton (November 15) show. Compared to recent tours this stands out as the best. After seeing MG/B play for 13 years over 24 shows it's still impressive that each tour can be engaging and different from the last. Any given tour is capable of upstaging my personal favorites from the past.

There was a nice mix of new and old in the setlist, the band was spot on and even though the crowd sat (those who stood in their seats had an usher come and tell them to sit down) I feel like the crowd was into it and the band was in good spirits. There was a bit of banter, some interaction with the audience and no political talk (a big change from previous tours). Ian playing again was great and he added a bit of life into the songs. Speaking of which, the addition of the keyboard on this tour is awesome and really adds to songs from Lights of Endangered Species as well as ones from the back catalog.

Hornets was not played but there was Rabbits, Future is X-Rated, Champion of Nothing and Alert Status Red plus Non Populus and Zero Orchestra rocked as hard as I expected. Here is a SoundCloud link to my recording of Zero Orchestra from last night. I am missing some editing programs on my Mac so it'll be a few days before I can track out the entire concert but it'll be coming soon.

• Upvote 1

Here are a few thoughts on the Edmonton (November 15) show. Compared to recent tours this stands out as the best. After seeing MG/B play for 13 years over 24 shows it's still impressive that each tour can be engaging and different from the last. Any given tour is capable of upstaging my personal favorites from the past.

There was a nice mix of new and old in the setlist, the band was spot on and even though the crowd sat (those who stood in their seats had an usher come and tell them to sit down) I feel like the crowd was into it and the band was in good spirits. There was a bit of banter, some interaction with the audience and no political talk (a big change from previous tours). Ian playing again was great and he added a bit of life into the songs. Speaking of which, the addition of the keyboard on this tour is awesome and really adds to songs from Lights of Endangered Species as well as ones from the back catalog.

Hornets was not played but there was Rabbits, Future is X-Rated, Champion of Nothing and Alert Status Red plus Non Populus and Zero Orchestra rocked as hard as I expected. Here is a SoundCloud link to my recording of Zero Orchestra from last night. I am missing some editing programs on my Mac so it'll be a few days before I can track out the entire concert but it'll be coming soon.

Were you the gentelman who recorded the last concert at the Shaw Conference center???

Hi all,

Been a while since I lest checked in here, just though I'd see what's happening.

Went to the show in Edmonton last night, was absolutely amazing! And the fact that I had VIP tix so I got to meet Matt definitely topped anything I've ever been to. Here is the set list from last night:

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Lights of Endangered Species

Boy Who Could Explode

Born Losers

What if I can't See the Stars, Mildred?

Zero Orchestra

The Future is X-rated

Load Me Up

Non Populus

Apparitions

Weapon

Shallow's Low

Encore:

Giant

Alert Status Red

Champions of Nothing

Set Me On Fire

I also took some pics, quality isn't so good as i was using my phone but some turned out decent (first pic is me and my gf with Matt): http://www.flickr.com/photos/48004031@N06/

Just a few thoughts on the show:

- Rabbits was even better than I thought! Even after watching some youtube videos people took, it still gave me chills.

- Matt was very engaging with the crowd, often talking for 5 minutes between songs.

- Watching Milo, Jimmy during songs was great! Seems the whole band loves to joke around and has a lot of fun during shows. More often then not I would see Milo and Jimmy exchanging looks of laughter over something.

- Was nice to see Ian doing drums, since I was never able to see MGB. He seemed a little out of place compared to the rest o the band. Not as loose, and never showing any emotion, but damn he can still play! Loved a couple little bits he did during LMU and X-Rated.

- There was crowd a bit of crowd shouting, more than any other MG show I've been to before (this is my 5th one). Matt even commented on it early on in the show, asking why people feel the need to shout random things out. One guy was shouting "Born to Kill" out for a while, so Matt jokingly tried to play the beginning of it, and after playing a few notes on his guitar he yelled back "well that's all I remember" (I had a small hope he would remember how to play it haha).

- During one of the first few songs (maybe someone who went can help me out on this one) during one of the lengthy guitar bits Matt came down to the front of the stage and sat on the edge in front of a few people in the first row. I was in the fourth row so I could even see him mouthing words and having a convo with someone in the front while playing. Funniest was when I could see Matt move his hand in frustration while playing and said to the guy he was talking to "Oh man, I fucked up"

- Meet and great was all I hoped it would be. I went with my gf and we shook Matt's hand, said we enjoyed the show. I got one of my Audio of Being sleeves autographed (though in hindsight I should have brought my book instead :( ). They had a guy there who would take a picture for you if you gave him your camera. Honestly he isn't very good but he tries, and in hindsight I should have taken the flash off

Anyways just my thoughts. Overall amazing show!

can't wait, i always love hearing the edmonton bootlegs

Awwww man!! I wish Edmonton wasn't a two hour drive away... but I have to admit I was pooped out after seeing three shows in a row. I can't wait to hear the Edmonton Bootlegs. I have the one from the last tour and it was recording of the first ever Matthew Good show I went to, how many people can say that?? Here's hoping that the next time he tours I will be on maternity leave and I can see all his Alberta shows... damn work!!

Wow, judging by the account posted by MS_DOS, Edmonton sounds like it was excellent. I think that's the longest setlist I've seen posted so far (16 songs). It's nice to hear there was a lot of banter too, it's one of the things I look forward to. That's crazy that he sat on the edge of the stage right in front of a few people and had an exchange with them while playing. I have front row seats for my show in a couple weeks and I would be in total shock if that happened to me haha.

Edited by Curtster

The November 15 Edmonton show has been tracked out, converted to FLAC (for www.dimeadozen.org later tonight - I'll edit this space when it's available) and the MP3 copy is available here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o7fe5v. This is the entire concert put into a ZIP file and it is 200MB. For those curious here is the info file.

To make this MP3 rip I used the original WAV files and then had iTunes convert to MP3 with a bitrate of 256kbps using VBR on High setting (screenshot of settings here: http://i.imgur.com/YcCWp.png).

• Upvote 2

WOW!! Thanks so much Sean (gursky)! You are my new hero. What a rare treat. I'm listening to While We Were Hunting Rabbits right now, my favorite new song. Great memories. How did you get such crystal clear sound, sitting way up on the balcony? The sound acoustics must be great in that venue, just like in the Jack Singer. Thanks for all your hard work. I will listen to it all soon.

... for www.dimeadozen.org later tonight - I'll edit this space when it's available ...

Or maybe not. The lossless/FLAC Dimeadozen link is here. An account is required to access Dimeadozen but if there is a problem seeding it there I can put it up somewhere else.

How did you get such crystal clear sound, sitting way up on the balcony?

You got it. Jubilee is great for acoustics and I was first row on the first balcony nearly in the center so the sound came straight to me with nothing in the way. When MG plays at sit down venues like this recording the show is easy and I don't even feel it obstructing my enjoyment.

I listened to the whole concert. Great job, Sean. I like the "Heckling at Ballet" Banter part. That was quite funny, and he brought up a good point. People seem to be more free to yell at his concerts than any other concerts I've been to, and I've been to a lot of concerts. Maybe it's because they feel a closer connection to him, like he said on his website. It's very strange. Even at the Radiohead, The Police, and U2 concerts I went to, I never noticed the crowds constantly yelling and pumping out random remarks. It was very noticeable at Matthew Good's concert though, and it was even more distracting than the last time he toured. People seem more comfortable doing it, like it's second nature to them.

People seem to be more free to yell at his concerts than any other concerts I've been to, and I've been to a lot of concerts.

Very true, I thought it was just rowdy Edmonton being disrespectful but it seems to follow him across the country.

I don't know where it came from either but if it started out as a joke ("Play Rico"), Matt's perceived accessibility or something else. It's become very prominent and I'm sure it gets annoying for them on stage too to hear muffled cries for songs. At the March 2006 acoustic show in Edmonton someone yelled for "Symbolistic White Walls" and he accepted and played it, so sometimes it works and maybe that hope of sometimes is enough to encourage people to keep yelling from the stands.

i think the crowd feedback is pretty common for any smallish venue. i've seen the hip at maple leaf gardens, an outdoor venue and in a nightclub. admittedly, i've also seen madonna in a large venue and in a very small venue, and same with coldplay... with audible interruptions or direct communication from the crowd in the small venues exclusively (althought it might have something to do with crowd noise when comparing a 18,000+ attendance to 900 or less). i've also seen a ton of shows at the commodore ballroom (bif naked, kid rock, limblifter, the odds, 54-40, donavon frankenrieter, gary jules, the raconteurs, etc etc) and every single time there's been random shouts or requests or comments from the crowd. sometimes they're gratified with a response, sometimes totally ignored. i think people feel more of a connection to the act when the venue is smaller, and so they are more likely to try to speak up and interact. people don't usually speak unless they want to be heard.

the fact that matt plays pretty much exclusively at small venues leads me to believe that he would get a lot of crowd feedback as a byproduct, not because he attracts it.