Crusader

Matthew Good 2011 Tour Dates!

Setlist from London - Oct 20. (I think I put a few in the middle out of order, but the songs themselves are correct)

Shallow's Low

Born Losers

Great Whales

Mildred

Load Me Up

X -Rated

Zero Orchestra

Non Populous

Set Me on Fire

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Hornets

Rabbits

I was afraid we weren't going to get Rabbits, but he did it as the third song in the encore, much to my delight. Right before Mildred he had them turn the house lights up and went on a bit of a rant because someone was smoking pot, but it was pretty light hearted. He made some comments that he really enjoyed playing Zero Orchestra & Non Populous, but that was about it. The new songs really translate well to the current line up, horn section or not. I was really hoping for Zero Orchestra and Rabbits and left happy!

I had VIP and thought it was organized really well - we were in to see him maybe 30 mins after the show ended at the most. Maybe 40 people at most? I was pretty nervous and wanted to ask him a few questions about the new album but just kinda choked, so my friend and I thanked him for playing rabbits, shook his hand and got a picture. I had him sign my copy of At Last there is Nothing Left to Say. I was afraid he wouldn't want to sign it because I get the impression he's not too keen on it, but he just said something like "I'd be happy to, dear" and smiled, so I think he could tell I was pretty nervous, lol.

Set Me On Fire was before Non-Populus in London. Other than that, the set is spot-on. I was away from home until now (actually travelled from Windsor to the show and spent an extra day to celebrate my anniversary with the fiancee) otherwise I would've commented here sooner. No VIP pass for me but the show itself was great. Some may bawk at him only playing 10 tracks in the main set, but since a lot of those songs are longer, it makes sense. I certainly didn't feel like I'd been ripped off anyway and I've grown a greater appreciation for the new album after hearing so many of its tracks live. Zero Orchestra and Set Me On Fire were the two highlights from the new record for me -- the latter actually silenced the entire crowd... I love it when Matt does that with the music.

There seemed to be some drunk screamers, lots of "I love you Matt!" from men and women alike. The drug rant was pretty hillarious and was mostly light-hearted but it must've gotten on his nerves because it lasted for quite awhile. I was surprised with how crazy people went for Weapon. I know it's his biggest solo hit but that's the song that got EVERYONE standing and cheering hysterically... usually the MGB stuff does that more. While LMU and X-Rated got a huge response, I'd say Weapon got a bigger one.

Hornets sounds amazing live and Rabbits was just awesome. I was actually pretty surprised at how good a crowd response Rabbits got. Despite being a non-single and just Matt with a piano, you could tell the audience was genuinely excited to hear it -- they knew how much of a live rarity it is. I knew Hornets wouldn't be the last song though, mainly because it's unreleased and it'd be weird to end a show that way. It was also the first show I've been to where he didn't play Hello Timebomb... and I didn't miss it at all.

Was very surprised by Dan Wesley's opening set and enjoyed it a lot. Bought his latest CD today and am anxious to give it a serious listen.

One last thing, I am not sure how the distribution system is these days for bootlegs or if fans still bootleg MG's shows. If anyone did tape the London gig though (as fans have in the past) could you please PM me? My apologies if I'm not following standard protocol here, it's been awhile. ;)

Man, you can totally catch the difference between Stu and the new guy. And it's not a good difference. Damn, I really hope it's the sound quality on the video.

Yeah, don't judge anything by a video or bootleg- no matter how good, it just isn't the same as seeing it for yourself.

I can't wait until December.

i just got back from VIP in hamilton. it is limited to 50 people and it runs pretty smoothly. i got a few things signed and matt is pretty accomodating to any request. pretty friendly overall considering he's sweaty and tired from a show, merch is not terribly special but they were selling signed tour lithographs for $25 and unsigned for $15 so you can buy one and get it signed for a pretty good deal.

post-154-0-82431000-1319345060_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-13479000-1319345074_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-00368100-1319345086_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-61588900-1319345095_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-83543300-1319345104_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-57588300-1319345118_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-07329000-1319345133_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-06307200-1319345145_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-12711900-1319345159_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-51545500-1319345173_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-94098000-1319345185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crusader
fixed attachments
  • Upvote 1

Here is the Hamilton setlist (please correct if order is wrong).

Highlights for me were While We Were Hunting Rabbits (Piano Version), Zero Orchestra and Non-Populus. Also when Matt told a guy who yelled "shut up and play the guitar" to pretty much go home and listen to the album if he didn't like his banter.

1. While We Were Hunting Rabbits (Piano Version)- biggest hightlight for sure!

2. Lights of Endangered Species

3. The Boy Who Could Explode

4. Born Losers

5. What if I don’t see the stars Mildred?

6. Load Me up

7. Zero Orchestra

8. The Future is X-Rated

9. Non-Populus

10. Apparations

11. Weapon

Encore

1. Giant

2. Set Me On Fire

3. Shallow’s Low

• Upvote 1

Do people really have to friggin' yell "shut up and play the guitar" to musicians on stage? Why would you tell an artist you are a fan of to shut up? Ok. I could understand if it was Billy Corgan, but come on.

I'm sure the guy was drunk.

• Upvote 1

The Hamilton show was great aside from the usual drunk idiots who consistantly "Woo!" and yell stupid shit at Matt. I got a video of WWWHR on my iphone, I'll upload it to youtube tonight. The video is useless on it because it's so dark, but the audio is pretty decent.

Anyone know if he's still signing things at the bus afterwards? I'm thinking no because of the VIP, but I just wanted to be sure.

i went past his bus right after vip and there was no one around. he went straight onto the bus from the show according to the stage guy.

Do you think he'd sign a short message on anything? I wanted to get something signed like "to my biggest fan" (corny, I know!) for my friend who can't make it (and it's killing her), and I thought that would be a nice surprise.

Or are you kind of in line, get a signature, move along?

Probably if you asked, but the most I ever got out of him was "To Jesse. Best, Matthew Good."

Although to his credit, I got that from him on not even during the most intimate conversation out of all my encounters with the guy.

And if fucken Obi Wan Kenobi only had to deal with 40 other people, Id say Matt would be pretty game. At Massey Hall its an easy 200 plus people waiting for him, and he was always very accommodating.

Here's the stats on frequency of songs played (so you have an idea of what to expect at any upcoming shows):

100.00% Shallow's Low

100.00% What if I Can't See the Stars, Mildred?

100.00% Zero Orchestra

100.00% Non Populus

100.00% Set Me on Fire

100.00% Born Losers

100.00% Weapon

100.00% Load Me Up

100.00% Apparitions

85.71% The Future is X-Rated

71.43% While We Were Hunting Rabbits

57.14% Hornets

57.14% Lights of Endangered Species

57.14% Giant

28.57% How it Goes

28.57% Last Parade

28.57% A Silent Army in the Trees

28.57% Great Whales of the Sea

28.57% The Boy Who Could Explode

14.29% It's Been a While Since I was your Man

14.29% Alert Status Red

14.29% Hello Timebomb

Edited by RileyLewis

My brother and I saw Matt in London last Thursday night. What a show.

The new band sounds really good together. I was disappointed when I heard there was a new guitarist, as I really liked Stu, but seeing Jimmy play was really cool. Definately a different style of guitarist, but that's not a bad thing. He has an awesome stage presence. And he was really nice when we saw him and Milos outside the venue after the show. The rest of the band gelled really well together, considering they've only been playing for a couple weeks together.

I didn't really appreciate the new album until I heard it played live. Now I can't stop playing it. It sounds really good live, even though some of it doesn't translate well live. Hearing Rabbits was really cool too, although it's kind of an anticlimatic way to end the show. The band had already left when the song had ended.

Overall, he put on a great show, and was really nice when we met him after. I got a CD booklet signed, and got a picture as well. I would pay the extra again for fifth row seats and the chance to shake his hand after the show.