Dan #1

White Light Rock & Roll Review

How did the WLR&RR CD live up to your expectations?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. How did the WLR&RR CD live up to your expectations?

• Better than I thought it would be
    • Exactly how I thought it would be
    • Worse than I thought it would be

i don't see the similarities except for it being an ascending line.

in load me up, the first chord repeats thrice followed by a half step up and then the chord again.

in 21st century living, it's a rhythm line to a vocal melody.

in buffalo seven, it's a chord picked as single notes, and the root note is two steps higher every other time it's played.

if you're going to nitpick that, you might as well claim every artist does this, especially with the one and a half step and two step descending/ascending lines.

i moreso see the verse chorus mini-bridge verse chorus structure repeated in 21st century living and north american for life, but even then almost every song you've ever heard is verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus, so there's no need for this, unless it's an exact repetition.

I don't care about half-steps or ascending lines or where in the song the guitar parts appear. They sound the same. If some of you want to, strangely, deny this, or lay down some technical jargon, okay. Great. I understand you have an interested in Matt Good's continued artistic credibility. So do I, which is why I'm disappointed he's recycling arrangements. Hello Time Bomb sounded, immediately, like MGB without recalling any specific previous material. But the cut-and-paste in the three songs I pointed out goes well beyond that. It's there, it's disappointing, and that's that.

I honestly think that the fact that some songs may sound to you similar is not because he's reciclying previous stuff... it is just - this is only my opinion - because there are typical sounds, tunes, etc. which identify a band and that makes that anytime you listen to that band it is easy to identify who you are listening to.

think of any other band: when you listen to a new Coldplay or a Smashing Pumpkins - when they existed - song, you very easily know that you are listening to Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins or whichever band just because the sounds and tunes and even the kind of words "sound familiar" to you...

I personally think it happens in music in general and in all bands, it is not something with respect to MG in particular

I honestly think that the fact that some songs may sound to you similar is not because he's reciclying previous stuff... it is just - this is only my opinion - because there are typical sounds, tunes, etc. which identify a band and that makes that anytime you listen to that band it is easy to identify who you are listening to.

think of any other band: when you listen to a new Coldplay or a Smashing Pumpkins - when they existed - song, you very easily know that you are listening to Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins or whichever band just because the sounds and tunes and even the kind of words "sound familiar" to you...

I personally think it happens in music in general and in all bands, it is not something with respect to MG in particular

i fully agree. i remember hearing the last track on machina and thinking it reminded me of tonight tonight due to the drumming on the snare rim and the major chords. it's a totally different song, but makes me feel the same way. it's kind of cool.

exactly ;) the Smashing Pumpkins is a good example... most of the songs share the same tune because it is (was) Smashing Pumpkins "typical tune", but each song was different from the others... I think it is exactly the same that may happen with MG AND with many other bands...

I'm enjoying the album far more than I thought I would. I came into it listening to many of the songs performed live, which was nice to get a rough idea of them, but they couldn't prepare me for how awesome the album versions are. Some songs that I didn't enjoy hearing in the live version, I'm loving on the album, like "Hopeless." "We're So Heavy" is the surprise song for me, as I didn't think I'd enjoy it based on the lyrics, and yet the execution of the lyrics, and the song as a whole, made me a fan of it.

it wasn't that great of a CD though ;) i still liked it though. I think some of the b-sides should've stayed on and maybe some of the other songs should've been cut *cough hopeless *cough *cough. Dusk would've been an awesome song and same with can't get shot in the back, but at least you can still buy Dusk off of puretracks.

also, add ponyboy and all together, great songs! and especially cant get shot in the back. but hopeless, gotta hear matt perform a rockabilly song!

Is there two versions this cd came out in? I thought I saw a jewel case of this and I know there is a paper one. And, if so, or not, does it come with a booklet? Because I'm getting around to purchasing this and the one I might get apparently doesn't have one and I was told it looked like there wasn't even a spot for one to go.

Anyways, yeah this album is a treat I think. It's really different from all the rest and it is really nice hearing the fresh sound for Matt. It definitely will never beat or match the overall greatness of his top records I don't think but it is really nice to have nonetheless and has a few top tracks.